The Bragging Thread

<p>D just got word that she’s earned both college and departmental honors.</p>

<p>congrats!!</p>

<p>My kitchen is finished, and it’s beautiful.</p>

<p>Woohoo! Such great brags!</p>

<p>Just turned in my last final so I am officially done undergrad. Graduating with honors on Saturday :)</p>

<p>I want to say it feels awesome to be done but I’m too exhausted to feel relieved. So to sleep I go! I get to sleep for more than five hours for the first time in weeks. So excited!</p>

<p>(Congrats romani!! You must be very proud of yourself!)</p>

<p>S1 got his grades today, and they are good enough to continue chipping away at his undergrad work!!! This is a big deal at our house!</p>

<p>Romani, I hope you slept the sleep of the angels!</p>

<p>S1 completed Year One of his Five-Year graduate program.</p>

<p>Love checking this thread to see all the good news. Congrats to romani, and to greenbutton’s and veryhappy’s sons.</p>

<p>D is finishing her first year of a Ph.D. and learned yesterday that she got an RAship for the summer. Truly grateful.</p>

<p>I love hearing about the college kids success. Congratulations to everyone! And romani, why are you working so hard? You already got into graduate school, how about sleep as first priority! And that is awesome about the health insurance.</p>

<p>My news is that my son, who got a job as a software engineer starting in September, was recruited by a startup tech company for a 3 month internship before his other job begins. The CEO’s last company was very successful and was bought out by Google…and hopefully has another winner in this one.</p>

<p>I forgot, a double brag…both my sons have girlfriends. Hallelujah!</p>

<p>congratulations everyone!</p>

<p>I suppose I can congratulate you on the girlfriends, busdriver, since my girls are currently involved. ;)</p>

<p>Sounds like your son has a lot of really great stuff lined up!</p>

<p>^^^We could congratulate each other, if your girls would just marry into my family…I’m sure my sons could become available if necessary (and demanded). Yeah right, as if anything I say matters anymore!</p>

<p>Thanks, I’m kind of hoping this startup company works out so he doesn’t go off to his real job in NYC. Funny how much easier it seems to obtain employment after graduation than just to get a summer internship.</p>

<p>But bd, I needed to finish that paper :stuck_out_tongue: </p>

<p>(And the prof found me at the pre-graduation luncheon and let me and my parents know that it was a fantastic paper and I would be 4.0ing the class :D)</p>

<p>Now, graduation is done and I’m finally feeling the exhaustion- mentally and physically. Thanks for the congrats everyone :).</p>

<p>Okay, I guess it was worth it then, especially to get those accolades in front of your parents. Of course, they already think you’re going to be president anyways, so it probably didn’t impress them much.</p>

<p>I’m very pleased that my son started last week at his first “grown up” paying job since he graduated from college almost a year ago – he was hired by the Cloisters and will be working there four days a week – perhaps, if it works out, until he decides to go to graduate school. Not only is it a great place to work in the spring and summer when the weather’s nice, but it’s only about a 15-minute walk from where I live. He does need to learn how to tie a tie, though – he can’t expect me (or my ex when he’s staying in New Jersey) to do that for him every morning indefinitely! (He inherited some of my fine motor skill issues, I’m afraid. Mostly, though, he’s never had a reason to have to wear a tie regularly before.)</p>

<p>For one or two other days each week, he’ll be continuing his internship at the ICP (the International Center of Photography) in midtown, where he’s been working since last fall, mostly on the big Roman Vishiniac exhibition that just closed to go on tour. Before it opened, he was heavily involved in doing research about the photos (the majority of which had never previously been published or exhibited), and once the curator became aware of his obvious talents (OK, now I’m bragging!), he ended up writing a lot of captions and wall text. (Both times I went to see the exhbition, I felt tempted to grab strangers and say things like, “see that wall text? My son wrote that!”) Since then, he’s stayed on to work on the catalog, specifically the scholarly bibliography for it; he will, I think, be credited. </p>

<p>It’s too late to urge people in the New York area to go see the exhibition, but it did get quite a few really positive reviews; here are links to the reviews in The Economist, The Nation, and the Financial Times:</p>

<p>[Roman</a> Vishniac’s photographs: Rediscovered and uncovered | The Economist](<a href=“http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/02/roman-vishniacs-photographs]Roman”>Rediscovered and uncovered)</p>

<p>[As</a> They Live: On Roman Vishniac | The Nation](<a href=“http://www.thenation.com/article/173769/they-live-roman-vishniac#]As”>http://www.thenation.com/article/173769/they-live-roman-vishniac#)</p>

<p>[Roman</a> Vishniac Rediscovered, ICP, New York - FT.com](<a href=“Subscribe to read | Financial Times”>Subscribe to read | Financial Times)</p>

<p>I don’t think all that many people his age get the chance to be that heavily involved in putting together a major exhibition like this one – I’m sure it wouldn’t have been possible at a larger museum – and I’m extremely happy that he was given that opportunity. Obviously it would have been nice if he had been paid something for all the long hours he worked for so long, but I think it was worth it for him. It’s something I’m sure he’ll always remember. I certainly will. And I have little doubt that it helped him get the Cloisters job.</p>

<p>Donna, that’s fantastic, and very impressive! It’s amazing when our baby birds start to fly on their own. We’re always so – surprised, even if we knew they were geniuses!</p>

<p>Donna, that’s great. I was in our Museum Studies program for a while and I know how much my friends are struggling to break in to that field. What a great opportunity!</p>

<p>Recent college grad daughter had the first-level interview for something she is interested in.</p>

<p>Son just finished his first year of college and is finished with chemistry and physics, which makes me almost as happy as it makes him.</p>

<p>Oh, and one more. I came up with a brilliant idea for the summer. When the kids got home, I told both of them that we are all adults and that I will not be doing their laundry or their dishes and that each of them will cook one night a week. DS made shrimp kebabs tonight.</p>

<p>I love this thread! When the world seems grim I check in to hear about how this amazing next generation is doing and it just cheers me right up. Congratulations MD mom, Romani, and donnaL!</p>

<p>DonnaL - the Cloisters is one of my favorite places on earth - I have been there countless times over the years. I have some “old friends” in that collection and just love the building and Medieval gardens, the walk through Fort Tryon park is so wonderful in the spring and summer. Having a background in museum work I know how hard those jobs are to get - you must be so proud of your S.</p>

<p>Both of my sons attend Stanford… and although they find it VERY challenging, they love being there and that is accomplishment enough for a super proud Dad!</p>