The BS Class of 2016 Thread

@Charger78 - At most of the colleges my kids considered (mainly LACs), the college AO’s were assigned by geographical area or state, not specific to boarding schools.

@Charger78 While @doschicos is correct that in most cases the AO is assigned by state/geographic region, some colleges do assign BS’s within a region to a single AO.

We just finished touring about 10 colleges/universities and I believe at every school the AO was assigned based on where your school is located and not your home state which makes sense since the AOs visit the schools. We did not see any state/public universities so not sure if they operate the same way.

Question for the veteran parents/students that went through the college app process: For one ED or SCEA application that you are allowed, is it better to use it up on a high reach or a low reach where you are likely to get in during the RD cycle? Why?

Also, are there any hidden gems colleges with strong economics programs other than the US News Top 25 colleges?

It does seem, @Optimyst, that you ought to apply to whichever one you like so much that being bound to it, chain and ball, before Christmas, won’t leave you second guessing yourself. (Because, doesn’t matter whether it’s high reach, reach, possible, likely or whatever, if you’re in, you’re done, and the other schools don’t matter – as you already know. Except that some SCEA do let you apply to state public, etc.)

I’ve read that if the ED applicant to a super selective doesn’t get in during the early round, their chances of a regular admit are drastically diminished as the thousands of new faces are inherently more attractive, months later, than the one already passed over. Source: a Joyce Mitchell book. Anybody feel their experience validates or contradicts?

I’ve heard the opposite - if you get deferred ED it means that they are reserving judgment and need to see how you do in the first part of senior year, however, showing the interest and commitment to the school that ED entails helps you in the regular round. Probably it’s different for different schools and different kids.

@Optimyst UGA has good economics. MAybe not a “hidden gem” school but fwiw.

@Optimyst: suggest you take your question to college section of CC. The parents forum there is very resourceful. Sometimes it could get a little noisy but you will get many points of views for sure.

@Optimyst - Don’t waste ED on a reach - go for the college that makes the most sense and fits like a glove. Once you identify it- throw everything at it ( but have a solid Plan A, B and maybe C in place just in case ). We were 3 for 3 with ED because everything about the app(s) made a lot of sense . All three screamed at us.

When you know you know… or something.

A very wise woman ( who is a highly sought after EC-CC I never used but happen to play golf with occasionally … ) once told me that ED is a gift if you look at it the right way and use it wisely. She warns everyone ( students/parents ) not to waste it… and much to her chagrin many still do it anyway.

Look at Hobart and William Smith Colleges for Economics. My nephew goes to HWS and absolutely loves it there. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your suggestions!

@SevenDad’s College Search and Application Process is due soon?

^^^ @SevenDad <<< an epic is undoubtedly gestating, or perhaps it’s a problem with the censors

I think only 3 people would be interested since it’s not HYP-tastic…

I’m totally stealing HYP-tastic.

Over my head here…

There is also a resultant syndrome for the HYP-tastic crowd. I think it is called HYP-session. :smiley:

@SevenDad , count me as one of the three.

Equally symptom strong a syndrome that may have infected a larger part of the population is called HYP-aversion. :slight_smile:

How about “HYP-ochondria: The fear of not getting into a certain school.”

lol now I’m catching on