The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

Happy Thanksgiving! Anyone know the amount of students that usually pass the umich prescreen?

@Collegegame2018 Re U Mich: last year at an on campus audition day, Vincent Cardinal told us they saw around 1400 prescreens and chose 600-650 students to come for live auditions. They select around 20-22 for the freshman class. I don’t know the numbers for this year though.

We also used Reproductions last year and they are awesome!

How do the walk-ins at Unifieds work? Can you only do a walk-in if you’ve applied to that school? Can you do a walk-in if they said no to your prescreen? Just getting an idea of it works.

1 Like

Regarding headshot/resume. You can purchase 8x10 resume paper online. It has been great to print and staple without having to trim. Well worth the extra money for the paper in my opinion.

@cgcparent Thanks for that nice bit of info! What a time saver. You learn something every day?

@cgcparent We got the 8x10 paper, but can’t figure out how to make the printer handle it! Do you use the regular tray or auxiliary feed? When we’ve used the regular tray, the paper “guide” doesn’t work like it does for the 8 1/2 x 11 paper and the resume prints all crooked on the 8x10 paper. There’s got to be a way to make it work and it’s probably something ridiculously simple that I’m just overlooking!

I just have a question regarding questions once accepted … I have a program or two that I have received an acceptance for MT. I have a lot of questions I would like to ask to help me start to figure out what my best options are. Is it reasonable and expected, to email the department head and ask questions? I don’t want to be annoying but I have some key questions, I would like to ask… thoughts?

@DramaLove2020 I’d start first by making sure your questions aren’t already answered on the department’s website. Next, if you received any email or paper mail notices of your acceptances, see if those have the name and contact info of a person who is waiting for your questions. Perhaps that person can connect you to other students already in the program and you can direct your questions there. Department heads are crazy busy and probably aren’t the first person to reach out to as a prospective/accepted student with questions, though they’ll likely be very happy to answer questions that are within their exclusive purview once you’ve already exhausted all of your other options for finding the answers.

@Dance3Looks3 speaks the truth and I will just add that going straight to the source (after using the website) is always the smartest thing to do. The admissions people are there to help and that way you know you are getting the correct information rather than depending on what you might have heard from others. Also it seems these colleges change things every year.

@MTisNutz and @secondtimemt the only caveat I’d add to printing the resume directly on the back of the headshot is that some places want to be able to separate the two. It’s probably fine for most, but if the audition directions specifically say to staple, I’d staple.

Second time around for us… younger D this time. @tygerpig re: the walk-ins… your kid can literally just walk from door to door and ask if they are accepting walk-ins. If so, schedule them. In most cases you wouldn’t have already applied to that school, but some schools require that you do that before your newly scheduled walk-in time. Most schools did not. I read some people saying on here that you can walk in to schools you didn’t pass the pre-screen… that was NOT our experience! In fact I know that several schools specifically cross-referenced and denied the walk-in audition if they found that the person had already failed the pre-screen… which can be humiliating. We discovered that schools that had walk-ins in NY did NOT have them 2 weeks later in Chicago. Walk-ins seem primarily to be a way to discover programs you didn’t already know about.

Regarding headshots/resumes…Print on the back, staple back to back, or tape back to back…it doesn’t matter. Just make sure they are back to back and BOTH 8x10. No one is going to deny you if they said to staple and you printed instead. For D 1, we brought back-up copies of resumes not attached to the headshot and headshot not attached to resume but I can’t recall a single school asking for either.

@Dance3Looks3 I don’t believe that all home printers have the capability to reduce and print on 8x10. If you are unable to print on your home printer, you can go to a Staples and have them print on your 8x10 paper. Either take a digital copy of the resume or a printed copy of the resume on 8.5 x 11 (using a larger font) to a Staples. They will be able to reduce to fit to 8X10.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I highly recommend doing the auditions at West Virginia University. Their BFA MT program is very strong. My D audition last winter and found out in May that she got in. She loves the program! Auditions are great and handled in a very organized manner.

Thank you @MTdreamin! Ok new question how do you handle conflicting auditions. Scheduled one school for an audition at unifieds and they said to keep 8-2 open for that day. Another school asked to keep 2 specific days open which of course conflicts with one of those days?! How do you handle this? FYI school #1 is already full for that specific unified location so would be hard to switch?!

Silly Q but staple all the way around? Headed to his first college audition this weekend and want to get details down so one less thing to worry about. Thanks.

@Collegegame2018 last year Mich and Texas State conflict d at Chicago Unifieds. Texas State sent out an email to provide alternate auditions for those also auditioning for Michigan. I know several who have decided to switch out of Unifieds and onto on campus auditions if the conflict involved one of the students top choice schools. Then you get the full idea of the campus and program

@Shel325 four corners is all you need to do

Question about program acceptance deadline:

I see the NACAC info about May 1, particularly part C: “The May 1 deadline also applies to any academic major, institutional scholarship, or special program to which the candidate has been offered admission.”

Does a BFA MT acceptance equate to a “special program”?

Related info: Student has auditioned at 3 schools. Received a letter from one MT program that needs to be signed and returned by a certain date. It is stated on the letter, that if you are unable to make a commitment by the deadline, then you will be placed on the wait list for their program.

The university has been very clear about May 1 deadlines in all general admissions and merit scholarship info.

The letter is from the MT department and requires a student signature.

We had originally planned on completing the audition process through Unifieds. We have no intention of waiting until May 1 to make final decision. However, I think it’s important to be able to compare all factors going into this decision, many of which will not be available until we are further along in this process.

Any advice from those who have been through this before?