The Class of 2025 -- Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

Congrats on the waitlist! I replied to another parent asking for MMC campus info upthread.

For waitlists, something we learned from last year’s group was if a school is D’s top choice., send a LOCI (letter of continued interest). Once this is all over, these schools will be looking to fill their class. If D would accept an offer off the waitlist, then tell them so.

1 Like

thanks so much! and yes she has a coach from my college audition and we will be discussing where we are at on sunday! i appreciate your response wnd will look for your other post!!

PS Where did your child end up at school? hope it’s gone ok with all the oddities of this year!

Hello @Olsonfam26 – I was summoned by my friend @NYYFanNowMTdad!

My daughter is in her 2nd semester at U of Utah and is having an amazing year, despite things being very restricted there due to the virus. It’s her perfect fit and she loves the program. I am very happy to answer any questions you might have, just be sure to tag me so I get a notification.

1 Like

My D applied to very few schools (all things considered) and Marymount is her safety school, which means she does like it a lot otherwise wouldn’t have applied. Although we haven’t visited she did an enormous amount of research and she’d be happy to go there!

1 Like

is your D doing a mix of acting and mt? and congratulations on mmm and thanks for giving me that info!!!

Thanks! You too :slight_smile: She’s mainly MT but some schools she’s auditioned for one or both. Juilliard was only acting, I think Tisch was both and Carnegie moved her forward with Acting only. She’s like to focus on schools with strong acting programs but MT always her first love!

My daughter auditions with MM today-last one! It is the only school we have visited. We went last March the weekend before Broadway shut down. It is definitely a different kind of campus with two high rises and a courtyard in between from what I recall. They have a Starbucks and a cafeteria where kids kind of hang out. The kids we saw and spoke with were super friendly and appeared happy. Although its a big class they have some black box theaters as well as their MainStage and they cooperate with lots of local theaters too, so there is plenty of opportunity. We were unable to tour the dorms, which are further uptown but they said there are some food opportunities up there as well that are included (like across the street from the dorms?). Dance is at different studios around town and you go to the same place for the entire year. I think it’s great to get a feel for the different studios. The other thing the sticks out is that they do NOT allow you to audition outside of school during the year, (this is different than Pace). My D definitely likes it and there is nothing like being in Manhattan! Congrats!

did she audition on zoom at MM? all the slots were filled so my d had to submit digitally!

wow thanks for all that great info!! my d is doing walk ins right now!!

1 Like

Yes, it is a Zoom audition today. It must have been one of the last slots because it is so late. She was trying to get auditions as early as possible everywhere.

Did you ever get to audition with BW? My daughter did not.

no she did not!! yeah that’s why i’m pleased about mmm bc she did it digitally only. bal to your daughter today. mine is auditioning right now!! the walk in day is really something!! one after another!!!

BAL to your daughter all day today! How exciting!

Texas State just sent a message through Acceptd to students still under consideration that, due to the storms in the state, they are behind where they want to be. Decisions (yes and no) should start rolling out in the next two to four weeks.

3 Likes

@dharmawins re: Marymount- Someone mentioned above how Marymount kids travel for classes in the city. Truth. D is in school in NYC and her Marymount MT friend lives in a dorm half a block from D in the East Village. Her dance studio is in upper Manhattan (maybe Harlem). Friend loves Marymount. D attended the zoom production her friend was in at the end of last semester. She was impressed. Good luck.

2 Likes

thanks so much!!

where is your daughter in school?

@dharmawins She’s at NYU. Acting major. Loves MT too but didn’t go that route.

1 Like

cool!! debs friend is at nyu for mt. i sure hope she gets off the waiting list!! thanks

1 Like