The Crimson White

<p>Has anyone here had any experience with the Crimson White? What is working with them like? I am considering getting involved when I join UA, and I’d like to know how hard it is to get involved, and in what ways one can get involved.</p>

<p>Lattelady’s daughter writes for the Crimson White. She’ll probably pop in, but if not, send her a PM.</p>

<p>My D had an article published in her freshman year. She didn’t work for them though. So, you can just submit articles for possible publication.</p>

<p>Are you hoping to be a full-time writer for the CW?</p>

<p>^Preferably, depending on how feasible it is to balance that with other activities.</p>

<p>My D is an actual staff writer this year. Last spring semester, as a freshman, she was a contributing writer. I think she started that about halfway through the spring but once she started she seemed to have a story almost every week. Then she interviewed late in the semester for the job this fall. She is not a journalism major but is probably adding it as a minor. I don’t think it is very difficult to be involved, at least on a contributing writer level (which means no pay). Regardless of contributing or staff, not every story submitted gets published.</p>

<p>I was a copy editor for a year and a half, back when we cut the pages into stone tablets. Kidding.
Back then we only published twice a week, so twice a week I’d go spend the night at the Ferg (told you it was a long time ago - the Ferg had just opened). We certainly didn’t sleep. Most of the work got done between 3 and 5 a.m.
I took a class where we interviewed people on various topics and wrote brief, two-page stories. After he graded them, the teacher turned them over to the CW for possible publication. I don’t remember any of mine being printed, but I got a call one day asking me to come talk to the editor, Ron Casey. He later won a Pulitzer Prize with the B’ham News.
I talked to Ron for a couple of minutes, an assistant editor gave me an assignment and a deadline and we were off to the races.
It really wasn’t that much work, and certainly wasn’t like working for a “real” newspaper. I look back at some of those articles now and shudder. We should have had a LOT more adult supervision!</p>