The Golden Bachelor - CC Discussion!

I saw that, too, and he was more charming than I expected. What do y’all think? Even Whoopi noticed how the audience was in his corner.

2 Likes

He doesn’t look 72 to me, but much younger. The guy seems like a very nice gentleman. I’ll try to watch, but I’ve not watched one season of any of these type shows.

3 Likes

I now have Sling, so I don’t have local channels, which means watching with the antenna (no DVR). LOL Glad it is only 1 hour instead of 2.

I thought it was good, and am looking forward to the coming weeks. I already have my favorites, though. Prior to watching, I thought the life experiences of these amazing women would make them all appeal to me, but in the end, I think it boils down to a certain type of personality that keeps my interest.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next episodes.

1 Like

Forgot to watch until half way over but enjoyed what I did see.

The woman who sang to him while playing the guitar (and later received the first impression rose) was one of my favorites.

These women all look amazing. Hope we learn more about them versus just their ages and job titles though!

He seems nice.

2 Likes

I watched but decided I will stop complaining about commercials in my budget streaming subscriptions. I swear half the show was ads - during one break, I counted 11 separate ads. Perhaps I will record and watch while fast forwarding because that was too aggravating.

I’ve watched several Bachelorettes but never The Bachelor. Jerry (pronounced Gary) seems like a nice enough guy. He’s aged well; some of his earlier photos make him looks somewhat dorky. He asked that all the women be at least 60. Obviously the show wants him to play up the pathos. Very sad about his wife - there’s some discussion on my tv boards if she might have gotten the bacterial infection from the lake they had just moved to.

It was interesting to watch the women - some very stupid entrances imo but that likely was scripted. A large share of them seem fairly genuine, at least for a reality show, and that’s probably what Jerry would like. I wonder how many of them are big on social media and are looking to increase their followers? The question is whether he will get caught up in the game and lose track of reality amidst all the hype and glamour - and flattery. Apparently the entire season filmed in just one month.

It was amusing to watch the friendly, happy group of women turn into anxious bachelorettes eyeing each other during the rose ceremony.

2 Likes

You might look at BachelorData on Instagram. She tracks all kinds of stats, including changes in the number of IG followers of each contestant.

1 Like

I haven’t watched yet, but thought you all might enjoy this clip. Having seen this, I think I like him even more!

2 Likes

I wish there were some midwestern women in the mix. How many of them mentioned being widows? Not many, according to my recollection. Both would seem to increase his chance of success.

1 Like

Not sure if there are any other Midwesterners, but Leslie is from Minneapolis.

1 Like

OK, I watched this morning. I would’ve liked the show to be 90 minutes to learn a little more about each of the women. I’m glad that they didn’t waste time with manufactured drama, but I want to know more about what makes each woman tick. For instance, the first impression rose woman – she seemed to get a lot of air time, used to make the transition cuts and stuff. I don’t know. I feel like he’s totally got her built up, but I’m not convinced.

I already have favorites – Edith, Ellen and Marina, off the top of my head. I don’t like Leslie, who alleges Prince wrote a song about her. And I’m glad he didn’t pick Matt James’ mom. Something about her always has bugged me.

I’m not surprised that many of these women aren’t widows. The average life span in the US is 77 so it makes sense that if you’re single at 60 or 65 you’d be divorced or never married rather than widowed. I’m thinking about my friend group 60-early 70s, and not one is a widow. My only friend who is a widow is 56, and her dh died of cancer three years ago. I have a lot of friends in the GB age group who are divorced or never married. Is that the same for y’all?

I enjoyed the show but I do wish it were longer. We always record shows ahead of time to skip the commercials and we zipped right through this one. My husband watched with me and liked it.

Midwest-Leslie is from Minneapolis(my husband liked her!) and she got a rose last night. The two women from Illinois (Pamela and Renee) are already out!

@Youdon_tsay Theresa from New Jersey is a widow.

I have no doubt that Leslie dated Prince. They would be the same age and her cousin was Prince’s original drummer. According to an interview with her son that I found online, they dated when she was in her late teens-early twenties, and she broke up with him when the ice show she was in started a European tour.

1 Like

Out of my original group of sorority sisters (and we’d all be 63-68 now) there are several who are widows, one twice. I think there were 5 who lost their husbands very early, in their 20s. There are also several who married older guys so it is very likely their husbands will die years before them.

For those who watched the episode, how did you feel about the eliminated group? I haven’t watched the episode yet, but I’ve read highlights and know who was eliminated.

What was your impression of why Gerry did not connect to each of them?

I don’t think we saw much interaction with the eliminated women.

@Youdon_tsay Of course I probably know more divorced women than widowed women, but I’m just saying that widowers may have been a better match for him. There are a lot more women who are widowed than men at that age.

1 Like

Yeah, I wondered whether finding enough interesting available women willing to go on the show is one reason we started with only 22. Maybe they couldn’t find a lot of widows. :woman_shrugging:t4:

I am willing to believe Leslie dated Prince. I just think she came across as a try-hard, mentioning not just dating him but being a muse, coming in costume that she dramatically ripped off, the hair flip, etc. I mean, I get that producers put them up to this stuff, but I don’t have to like it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

See my complaint above … I think we needed a longer show so we could see the relationships form/not form. I have no idea why he sent some home.

1 Like

.Most got the producer’s edit. They were introduced in montage and never learned much about them.

2 Likes