The Golden Bachelor - CC Discussion!

Here are two contestants from the DC area, who happen to be widows.

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that the GB filming season was compressed into 4 weeks vs 8-9 for The Bachelor / Bachelorette. I don’t know the exact timeline for GB (although I’m sure Reality Steve has posted it, but I have not looked), but my guess is about 10 days at the mansion.

1 Like

As a very active person in her 50s, I’d put my foot down at a bunk bed on a network show!!

An Airbnb or similar getaway with friends… No problem. I’m not picky in that situation if that’s what’s available.

But seriously. These seem to be successful, accomplished women who should expect a certain lifestyle outside of the obvious comfort considerations. Shame on ABC.

5 Likes

There has been a lot of complaining lately that the Bachelor franchise is cheating out. A couple of the last seasons the “destinations” were so close they could have taken a bus there!!

GB is a hot show right now and should be filling ABC’s pockets.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I’m going to be at volleyball again this week!

I want that car!! But the headlights have to get fixed.

4 Likes

Am watching but it feels a bit more hokey or cheesy this week.

(To be fair, I’ve not watched a Bachelor show in likely over 8-10 years……so maybe second show is always cornier than the first evening?!)

(Can’t believe one of the costumes for the photo shoot was a wedding dress. Very insensitive IMO.)

Cars are awesome though!!!

1 Like

We are big into football in my house so when I heard this was going to be on Thursday night I figured there was no way I’m going to be able to watch it but much to my surprise H actually wanted to watch it tonight. He’s been hearing about it and wanted to see what the talk was about. We enjoyed the episode this week. I am surprised by the lack of understanding on the part of producers that people in their 60’s are physically different than people in their 20’s.

2 Likes

The cars are kind of cool but I actually found it a little insulting that 60+ would twice be riding around in an older car. And what the heck, they didn’t know the headlights weren’t working?

Gerry certainly is more tuned in and respectful of these women than ANY younger Bachelors.

The women sure seem to adore each other. I’m worried that some are falling hard REAL fast.

4 Likes

I’m glad it is just an hour. I think it moves pretty slowly, so an hour is enough. Back in the original seasons it was just an hour, and my kids, who were really young, would get all ready for bed and watch the rose ceremonies at about 10 to 8:00 (that was plenty for them to see). They’d vote for the dresses they liked the best.

3 Likes

My husband’s comment, after Gerry asked Theresa if she’d accept a rose at the diner, was, “Yes, but I’m not driving home with you.”

1 Like

I really couldn’t believe they were in that car, on unfamiliar roads, with possibly no seatbelts(couldn’t tell for sure). I think Theresa took it surprisingly well, considering how scary it looked.

3 Likes

My husband mentioned again how much he likes Gerry. Maybe because the two of them are a lot alike!

3 Likes

I certainly emphasize with not knowing how to work the lights in an unfamiliar car! Good thing Jerry (presumably) doesn’t have cataracts or he would have been in trouble driving at night with iffy headlights.

That group photo op date was less a date than an opportunity for a sentimental trip down memory lane for some of the women. The woman who was so annoyed at not getting the outfit she wanted reminded me of Top Chef contestants rushing a table of different ingredients and ending up with one they hadn’t cooked with before.

Very amusing parting comment from one of the women who didn’t get a rose. Instead of crying about lost love, she’s all, “They couldn’t give us chairs for the rose ceremony?”

8 Likes

I’m glad we learned a little more about Joan. I want to know more about Edith. Still love Ellen. Not surprised Natascha went home. I think Kathy and April aren’t far behind.

Bummed that Marina left the show. Early fave for me.

Leslie was more likeable to me, though she’s the one who was bummed that she didn’t get the outfit she wanted. Waaaahhhh.

For some reason Gerry’s driving made me think of my other fave reality show, The Amazing Race. That trip felt like some kind of AR challenge. I think I’d rather eat bugs.

1 Like

Is marina the one they showed in the preview as leaving?

Wait. I don’t even remember seeing Marina last night - at all.

Had to look up what happened after reading your post

Did they reference that at all??

No, they didn’t mention Marina at all in the second episide. I thought it was actually confusing.
She has been said to have left because of an urgent family matter. They only eliminated 3 last night, probably because Marina was already gone.

I like the show so far. It has been years since I last watched the Bachelor/Bachelorette. Gerry seems like a good guy, and I find him attractive. He definitely seems to connect more with the women who are widows as they share the heartbreak of losing a spouse. Some of the women are throwing themselves at him in a very cringe way (sorry, I haven’t learned their names yet). So far my favorites are the one who got the first impression rose the first night (Faith?), and the one who went on the individual date in last night’s show. (Teresa?) I also like the one who showed him her hearing aides, but she seems very insecure. The car was gorgeous but the lack of headlights and Gerry being intimidated by the California freeway would have put me over the edge, LOL. Looking forward to watching more!

1 Like