The list

<p>I am not going to give a list but I will add (what I think) are a few important items. Toilet plunger!! Enough paper cups to last, we supplied 2500. Yep that’s right! 2500!! An Antimicrobial shower curtain which resists molds/mildews and bacteria. It is expensive but heavy duty. I use these at home and they are terrific. This is what I use at home:
<a href=“http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16208906[/url]”>http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16208906&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>You will need a style with hooks for the dorm bathroom
There are many styles, just google.</p>

<p>Oh, so you really need a new shower curtain? They only supply the cheap vinyl liners? They get moldy within 2-3 months and have to be replaced.</p>

<p>The shower curtains provided are commercial grade vinyl ones that are thicker/better quality than the basic liners. They are basically the same shower curtains you find in hotels throughout the US and Canada.</p>

<p>at BB you will probably stay in RCS. we did. when we were there i measured <strong>everything</strong> in the room and wrote it down. then i came home and made a scale drawing to try to help her decide where she wanted to put things. i think i must not have done it quite right, though. if you do this, you have to not only measure all furniture, how long the walls are but also how much space is on each side of the window, how far the doors swing out, where the cable outlet is, where the plugs are etc.</p>

<p>your drawing doesn’t have to be pretty, you can redo it at home, but try to get every possible measurement. </p>

<p>i can tell you that all three pieces of furniture WILL fit under the bed if you want them to.</p>

<p>pretty much every room in RCS has weird places where the wall juts out due to support structures. it is important to note where these are in your specific room, if you can. a handy person might be able to customize a target bookshelf to utilize the space better. IIRC one of the rooms we were in had enough space behind the entry door for a bookshelf. go check and see if someone is in your room. it won’t hurt. our room happened to be the linen room and was open, so we were able to go in and measure.</p>

<p>in fact, i just went and looked at the RCS sample floor plan online. it shows the weird juts in the floor plan, but that may not be accurate. my daughter’s room has one of the juts shown, but not the other. : /</p>

<p>in the end it still ended up taking a while for her to decide where she wanted put things. : P</p>

<p>The shower curtain (supplied) was just okay in my opinion. The one I bought is a little pricey but I knew it was pristine and clean. It is very heavy duty, long and wide. I hate flimsy shower curtains that wave when the water goes on. It’s a personal thing.</p>

<p>Thanks, AL.
Does anyone have experience with bed lofts? And could recommend a site/store to buy one? So far, I’ve found one on PBTeen (the most expensive, by far), loftbedstation.com, and Target (cheapest).
I think it would be neat to have a nice little study nook.</p>

<p>^^Just hoist your dorm bed to it’s highest position and voila you have a huge nook underneath. You will not hit your head on the ceiling even at its highest position. The ceilings are really high.</p>

<p>yeah, the beds in the dorms are loftable. which dorm are you in?</p>

<p>Oh okay, awesome. I’m in riverside east.</p>

<p>i think the beds there only go up a little bit. not enough to make the bed up high like a bunk bed. check online to be sure. even so, lofting the bed will give you more underbed storage.</p>

<p>Before you invest in a Loft bed, you might check with Housing to see if they will permit you bringing it in. Even if they do, what plans do you have for storing the bed frame assigned to the bedroom. It may fit in the storage unit shared by all four students but there may be very little space for others to store their other items (luggage, original electronics boxes, storage bins, etc). </p>

<p>By raising the bed to the highest bracket, you will gain space by placing the dresser and end table under the bed. Rather than investing in a loft bed on line, it would be cheaper to bring in a comfortable chair or lots of body pillows to make the bed a comfy daybed when not used for sleeping. </p>

<p>Remember they have the front room in the apartment. My son has gone days without seeing his roommates (maybe except for passing from bathroom to bedroom).</p>

<p>IIRC, UA only allows bed lofts rented from their authorized vendor, information about which will be come during the summer.</p>

<p>Speaking as a person who has a relatively empty bedroom and still thinks they brought too much, there is really no need to rent a taller bed loft. The current bed frame allows you to loft your bed about 38" above the ground. As momof3boyz mentioned, remember that you will also have a living room to furnish to you and your suitemates’ liking.</p>

<p>So stacking bins, little dressers under 38" will fit under the lofted bed?</p>

<p>Today I spent time debating the merits of luggage. S has one jumbo rolling duffle that he has taken with him the last 2 summers for summer college. Thinking of getting another similar one. I guess two large rolling duffles can kind of store on top of another under the bed? The non-rolling would totally roll up, but I’m envisioning having to carry it a distance with a back-pack, so perhaps 2 rolling will be better.</p>

<p>Depending on which dorms you reside, you can put your luggage in the storage closet that is located just outside your suite. My son said that he and his suite mates can use that closet for luggage, the vacuum, boxes, etc.</p>

<p>I was wondering where they were suppose to store a vacuum and/or broom. So the storage room that is on the Riverside floor plan is for them to use? Good to know!</p>

<p>For students living in Riverside (or Lakeside - same floor plans), there is about 3" of space next to the fridge. My son has a Command Strip hook hidden out of plane site where he and the roommates keep the broom and dust pan. I know they attached a nylon zip tie at the end of the broom to make it easier to hang the broom. </p>

<p>As for the vacuum, I purchased a rechargeable one at Sam’s Club that has a retractable handle. It stays in the charging location at all times unless it is in use. Surprisingly, it works better than many broom vacuums I have used! The charging cord stays plugged in (except for breaks - students are to unplug all appliances) and the excess cord is wrapped and secured in place along the baseboard with Command Strip products. </p>

<p>I think I paid about $34 for it and it is still going strong for nearly three years! I will try to remember to ask my son for the brand.</p>

<p>Do you need an ironing board and iron? (And maybe someone to use it for them LOL!!)</p>

<p>My son, who had never even picked up an iron until college, uses his iron and board occasionally to iron khakis and cotton dress shirts. He likes cotton’s feel and is willing to do the extra work to keep his clothes looking neat and crisp.</p>

<p>My son had me purchase a small steamer before he went to Alabama. He loves it. He steams all his polos/dress shirts as well as his slacks.</p>

<p>I’m guessing that using the dryer to ‘dewrinkle’ his clothes will no longer be an option (not that it was supposed to be here…). Good thing he’s had some practice with the iron we bought him…</p>