The M10 Freak Out Thread Applicants 2015

I dunno, but I know Andover has a ropes course (that all students are required to take) :smiley:

Someone told me that at Andover, dance counts as part of your PE and arts grade. Killing two birds with one stone.

oh gosh one of the sports that I was so excited to do only has JV and varsity (no thirds or recreational) and is apparently super competitive. And since I’ve never played, I guess that’s not happening.

Are there like try-outs day where people just go to different sports and coaches offer you places like “hey you! Varsity” “Hey you, JV”

For sports with different level teams, there will be try-outs. Sometimes it’s a day, but sometimes it’s several days. Sometimes varsity try- outs will be first, then JV, etc. Some schools hold varsity try-outs for the fall before school starts (and you need to be invited to try out). At larger schools, there will be more teams (3rds, 4ths, rec versions) so you can work your way up over the years. It depends how large the school is, and how many people want to try out. There are definitely situations, however, in which people don’t get to play at all, because teams fill up and there are facility limits-- squash courts, tennis courts, ice time during hockey season, etc.-- might mean that not everyone who wants to play GETS to play, especially if you haven’t played before. The schools try to accommodate everyone, but sometimes they just can’t.

Again, at smaller schools, or in less popular or competitive sports, there will be fewer students going out for the team. so it will be easier to make the team at whatever level.

Dance counts as the athletics requirement. PE and art are required over and above the athletics requirement.

I don’t think any school (at least in the NE) has cheer.

Is swimming competitive in boarding schools such as E and A?

Yes. The Andover Boy’s Varsity team is the defending New England Champion.
http://www.andover.edu/Athletics/TeamPages/WinterSports/SwimmingDivingBV/Pages/In-2014-Andover-Wins-New-England-Championship-Breaks-39-Records.aspx

Where did you read them, I’d love to see how other people approached those essays, because I gave mine not preparation at all.

I was supposed to have a skype interview with SPS today at 10 AM but the interviewer never came on. The email for confirmation just said 10 AM so I didnt think EST time or Pacific time, etc but I live in the West Coast so I was 3 hours late and we didnt get to do the skype interview. Do you guys think it would affect my chances for getting in???

Anyone interested in seeing just what “competitive” looks like at these schools for swimming can check out the following link:

Andover swimming website - with the results from most of their meets in the last few years here:

http://www.andoveraquatics.net/
To find the times, go to “seasons”, and then “2010’s”. From here you can click on the results for any meet and you can compare your times to those of the swimmers that actually swam for the team at that meet.

You can also see how your times measure up against other prep schools by looking at the links on the same page for the championships (NEPSAC D 1 championships), which shows Andover, Exeter, Hotchkiss, Choate, Loomis etc.

Thanks, just wondering :smiley:

Wow thanks @jmtabb!! It’s nice to see how competitive swimming is at BS. My 100 backstroke time actually beats many of the times posted at their meets… yay :slight_smile:

@poppyknight I missed my Skype interview too!! Getting back from the holidays is crazy… 8-X

Is anyone still attempting their essays?

No, I’ve been working on last minute forms and stuff but no essays

in the transcripts do they send your finals grades???

Becoming kind of stressed now… I want to submit my applications as soon as possible but I still want to add in a few things. And my math/english teachers have not yet started the recommendations. I’m going to send them an email ASAP.