The Official M10 2020 Freakout Thread

I wrote about my congenital cataract. Basically, my lens was clouded at birth so I couldnt see through it. I had a surgery to remove the lens. People made fun of me for my lazy eye because of it. I had surgery to fix the lazy eye. etc

Oh wow, that’s interesting. I’ve never gotten majorly injured, but do you think it would be valid for me to write about how I literally can’t make friends? Or maybe I should write about moving across the country. Honestly, they seem really minor to me but I’m not sure if I’ve gone through any other major challenges.

I don’t think you should write about not making friends. I’m assuming you are going to board and I think writing about not making friends puts you in a negative light if you are going to live with your peers. Moving across the country could be one. I wrote about moving from brooklyn to alabama for a turning point in my life.

when you guys are impressive… smh

a 99th percentile and interesting stories?? My self esteem has left the chat

@mondaydevil i agree with @southernboyal34 I wouldn’t write about the friends thing. Schools prefer for students to be social, so it might be off putting.

also @southernboyal34 nice to meet a fellow southerner! I’m from FL, and i feel like no one applies from down here.

Also AL is an unrepresented area, so that helps a little with your app.(Not that you need it with that SSAT score)

@southernboyal34 sorry for the spam.

Anyways, what schools are you applying to?
I’m just curious, I always ask people because I think it’s really interesting.

eva’s that one person who dies for days then comes back to spam and its great

alright i think imma write about moving, maybe

Don’t worry, plenty of us students have boring lives (myself included). Have you read the prompts yet? You can always tie something interesting into your essays.

Most of the kids applying have “boring” standard lives. Don’t worry about never having a near death experience or not discovering the cure for a rare disease! They want to hear about you and your life, they don’t expect crazy stories.

@ens2006 I am applying to St. Paul’s, Exeter, Andover, Groton, Deerfield, Choate, Middlesex, and Hotchkiss. I really want to go to St. Paul’s with the greene scholarship but other than that my first choice would be exeter. I accidentally started my application to lawrence academy instead of lawrenceville school lol

What are you guys grades and what courses are you taking. I think I have good grades but my school’s curriculum is very behind imo. I hope being speaking tamil and coming from alabama will help my application a lot.

How much does financial aid lower your chances? My parents said they can pay and I’m pretty sure we would not qualify for anything

It’ll probably help with your app a lot.
I’m taking algebra 1 honors(although the teacher is horrible), comprehensive science, american history, language arts, IT, and gym. all my courses are advanced/highest courses offered. I have high A’s in all my classes.

i feel u on the curriculum, the south has the worst schools.

your scores are amazing so i’m sure you can get in anywhere!

also do you go to a public school?

Yes I go to public school. I also take algebra 1 and everyone says she is horrible. I already learned this at home so I just read a book while she is teaching. (My dad made me). My school adds 5 points for taking “pre-ap” classes so sixth and seventh grade I had all 105s. First grading period I got a 95 in language though.

@southernboyal34 bruh, you’re like amazing. also your PS sounds actually good.

@southernboyal34 do you go to Publix?

Yeah my school is public. My elementary school is probably more advanced than sixth grade at my middle school. Our school gets no funding. It is kinda funny but all my teachers say florida doesn’t count as the south probably cause its not as deep red

Btw, what sports do you play?

Also, scores aren’t everything. These schools have a ton of people that are brainiacs applying but they want it to be a diverse community.

@southernboyal34

i run track and XC. ALso when I said Publix, i meant the grocery store. I know that’s kind of a weird question but every southerner i know is obsessed with Publix and i was trying to figure out if u shopped there. i don’t think they have as many in AL.

Oh yeah there is a publix near us. My family is vegan so we get most of our food their.

it’s snowing so hard rn i love it :]]