The Official M10 2020 Freakout Thread

Hello @ReluctantDad: A couple of years ago (when kiddo applied) invitations did come from 3 single gender schools to attend dance performances, a play, and an alumni luncheon in the area. One co-ed school sent an invitation to a dance performance, but kiddo had auditioned for dance. It’s been our experience from speaking with others that these type of invitations may be more common @ all girls schools with those traditions.

@Golfgr8 Last year we did receive these innovations for a few of the co-ed schools, Interestingly enough of the 3 invitations, our DC was accepted at two but waitlisted at the other.

We did receive invitations to attend all performances - all invitations from co-ed schools.

We haven’t received anything from the schools other than a couple of postcards, is that bad?
Also, two weeks left till M10!

@CrackersCrayons - I think some schools send out invites to prospective families and others don’t. Maybe there is a geographical component too. I would read nothing about admissions from getting specific invites or not.

We haven’t received any invitations either…we also live nowhere near any of the schools so we couldn’t attend anything even if we wanted!

Ok, thank you so much! We live in NJ so we live very close to the schools. However we did receive postcards from some of the AOs, but I won’t read into it too much. I’m more worried about how my daughter will react if she doesn’t get into any of the 7 schools she applied too. However she is going on an international trip by herself next week, so I’m hoping that it will ease her mind.

So the coronavirus is creeping up closer to my neighborhood and all our after-school academies and cram schools are canceled and emergency texts telling us about where the infected have been are coming round the clock. School was supposed to start on March 2nd but has been delayed by a week! Better for me but I can’t help but become anxious as to when this will blow over.

@SolarJ hope everything’s well and that you’re healthy! School’s also been canceled for me because of the virus. I haven’t been outside in forever and binging YouTube’s getting boring. Two more weeks of waiting till March 10th :,)

Hey guys! Hope you’re doing well. I am so nervous I literally can’t sleep at night. Anyone else as nervous ?? Just discovered this thread! Wishing you luck on M10!

FYI for the applicants here, on M8 or M9 SOME people will start to post they received notifications of an incoming package delivery from their schools of choice. Though that is good news for them (and a flaw in the M10 common date, perhaps) do not freak out if you do not get one. It depends on what your school may or may not physically send out, if you have an account with the right delivery company (most of you do not and don’t try to set one up now), the company itself, who it is addressed to, etc. The vast majority of soon to be successful applicants will NOT get an advanced notification BUT when you see three or four kids post about it you will feel like everyone got it except you. As a parent, I was guilty of that same wasted worry. I advise stay away from this board on M8 or M9 and then come back M10. My 2 cents. And good luck!

Guys I’m reading here about packages and postcards from schools and all that stuff. I have got absolutely nothing. Not even an email. Only thing I got is an email saying my application is finished. I am kind of freaking out. I am from Slovakia, Europe so can this have something to do with it? Is this normal?

@fluffypancake78 Similar to my message here at 10:14am, the same applies to other materials pending the school . The schools my DS applied to 2 years ago sent nothing prior to M10. Nothing at all. No worries on that. You are now just in the waiting game. Good luck to you.

Please do not panic if you have not received any cards or invites from the school you applied to!! Some schools have marketing materials, some schools have summer programs, some schools have traditions. Do NOT take it personally. Most schools are silent before March 10 (or 9). I do hear that some private day schools are sending out acceptances now.

I feel like this is a sentiment echoed by literally every other student on here, but i am so so so nervous, omg. I can’t help but worry about what’s gonna happen and how these results will largely affect my future.

A question: How are you guys gonna open results on M10? I know it’s on a tuesday, which means that most of us will have school.

I’m kinda debating whether to skip school that day so I don’t have to deal with the anxiety of sitting through school and awaiting these results, but idk. I hate missing class lol. I guess I could open some at lunch, but I can’t imagine the pressure of having my friends ask right after I receive the news.

My daughter happens to have no school on March 10th, but shes already said she’s going to wait to find out about all of the schools at the same time. So even if we get an email early in the morning, she won’t check until she can check all 5 schools. I’m not going to lie, I may peek early.

Another option is to get your friends involved. At our very small high school it’s tradition for kids to gather their closest friends and open their college email/portal together. That way they can either celebrate together or remind said student that he/she will have other great opportunities.

Be positive @TheHappinessFund - a few schools may alert you via email the night before. Several schools go live early in the AM. So, you may have your good news before school starts that day!

@TheHappinessFund, I think some schools will be on spring break

It’s just counting down at this point. My daughter has been obsessively refreshing her email, even though she knows decisions won’t come out til M10 :smiley: . I just chuckle because I honestly think it’s adorable, some things never change from childhood, mainly patience. I’m sure other parents can agree with me on that!