The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

haha thanks!

2 Likes

The Wait List - #4437 by skieurope @cosierthunder

Sroo has a really good point. As parents who read this thread, we have the power to help the waitlist situation by letting schools know as soon as we know our child will not attend.

It does not seem like wait lists end in acceptances very often, but I like to think of wait lists as a lovely complement.

The school is saying, if only we had unlimited spaces, we’d love to take you.

They don’t have unlimited spaces, and that’s how it goes! But to me, it’s so much nicer than a rejection.

6 Likes

1 week left. This thread is insanely informative and very helpful. Good luck to everyone M10!

6 Likes

It is certainly possible. But these schools tend to be pretty efficient at predicting their yield, so it is not as if declining an offer of admission necessarily opens up a spot for someone else.

7 Likes

You are both right. Every school expects that some percent of accepted students will decline, so when a student declines, it doesn’t create an opening for someone on the WL.

AND at some point in the process, as a result of the declines, a school may recognize that they are going to need to go to the WL for some bucket - boarding girls, for example.

You can help the process by declining schools where you know you will not attend when you have made that decision and by staying on the WL only if you are serious about attending that school, not to “see what happens”.

Often, FA offers make it easy to release some schools. Or something that put the school further down the list (don’t have your sport, location, etc.) But because you applied for a reason, I would encourage families to seriously consider and attend revisits at several schools where they have acceptances before making a final decision. You can explore fit more carefully. Unlike during the interview process, you will have a chance to immerse yourself for a day and meet many current students. The other accepted students are also helpful during this process. For so many, this last look will make it immensely easier to release some schools and to pick the one you want to attend. Don’t feel compelled to rush.

7 Likes

We are looking for 9th grade, one more week to go!

5 Likes

It’s crazy how close we are, I remember my interviews back in September and thinking about how long it would be until I found out

5 Likes

Same!!! For boarding, you?

Me too! I applied since they only had one essay lol

1 Like

Which schools send admission boxes via DHL domestically?

2 Likes

I actually have a photo of what the school get on their side of gateway. Am I allowed to post it here?

2 Likes

can you private message me that if youre allowed

1 Like

I wonder if you are. If you’re able, could you private message me the photo?

I don’t see why not - other photos in other forums have been shared.

Here guys go!!

1 Like

oh, surprise! But I cannot see same information with the site address you posted

I think you need to sign in (as a school organization)

Um, just saw that I was added to a WhatsApp chat group titled as our family’s last name by an AO at one of my daughter’s schools. The only members are the AO, me, my husband, and my daughter.

Is this expected? Part of the process? Or perhaps an indication of upcoming acceptance??? Did anyone else have AOs adding them to a chat group on WhatsApp or via another medium? I feel like this is my version of getting a notification from FedEx! :laughing:

There was no message, though, so we can only speculate as to the reason for setting up the group.

8 Likes

The only thing I regret during this application process, even though I haven’t gotten my decisions from my schools yet, is the fact that I didn’t find out about the CC community earlier.

So much valuable information here that probably could’ve helped me better craft my essays, do more thorough research into my schools, and learning about what it really takes to be a competitive applicant.

Thank you all for your helpful insight during my application process.

8 Likes