The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

Wow, I haven’t heard of anything like that before. Keep us posted!

4 Likes

To be honest and maybe it’s just our circle here but no one I know, other than friends in and from Asia use WhatsApp. It was a staple when we were there but other than any of us with ties to countries there, no one else uses it. Perhaps they are trying to open a connection to speaking with you or sharing M10 info. But I would reply and see what happens. They must be aware of how the app works when making groups. Who is to say someone they are putting into a group even uses the app? They’d have to know you have accounts or they couldn’t add you to a group.

1 Like

I wonder if this is a pre-March 10 way to communicate with overseas applicants? As mentioned, we do not live in the US. I think we will wait to see if the AO adds a message first as I don’t want to lob a message into the ether.

I guess it could mean they want to call us about something and they are going to do that via WhatsApp so we don’t get a large international charge on our phone bill . . . Maybe they have a question about our daughter’s application and need clarification on something? I’ll definitely update if there is any communication from the school side.

3 Likes

My high school has an alumni event on March 9th. I often go to them, but I don’t think I can handle this one. I’d probably be trying to break into the office or cornering every staff member trying to be all cool about it but coming off as “OH HI SO OUT OF CURIOSITY MY CHILD, I MEAN IT’S TOTALLY ALL RIGHT IF YOU DON’T WANT HIM, BUT, LIKE, HOW DID YOU LIKE HIM? HE’S PRETTY GREAT RIGHT? WILL I BE GETTING GOOD MAIL TOMORROW? WHAT’S THE LOGIN FOR THAT COMPUTER, JUST ASKING HA HA.”

2 Likes

Well, from everything I have read on here, if your student is applying to a school you went to, they have a big leg up in admissions, so that’s good news for you!

2 Likes

I think he’ll probably get in for a few reasons, but I’m still nervous. It’s hard to put your kid out there like that.

3 Likes

anyone tried using inspect element for school portals (this question sort of directed to applicants even though its mostly parents here)
cuz. i did. cuz I’m a CS person.
There’s some schools that have it hidden but when you delete parts of the javascript code you see links (eg one literally said “view decision letter” after I deleted some code that made it hidden, and dummy alert texts), interesting but OBVSLY doesnt actually have any real content ad you cant see it without changing inspect element - and it has nothing to do with an individuals application tbh but, still interesting.

I would wager $ they are only doing this with international applicants. Whatsapp is incredibly standard in many many many places, but not in US. I’d wager most of my peer parents rarely, if ever use it.

But super super interesting!

2 Likes

omg for real? now I have to check that out!

^^^^^^
eg in UK

2 Likes

Anyone know when schools generally start shipping out admissions boxes? I wanna try tracking it since I just cannot wait till the tenth LOL

2 Likes

Usually toward the end of M8 for M10 decisions

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks!

3 Likes

When you “inspect” the checklist, in the HTML codes, each of the checklist item (11 in total) starts with “build” or “base”, with each string contains numbers, some of which looks like dates (e.g. 20230225). I can match these dates to checklist items: parent essay, personal rec, etc). not sure what to make of it.

is it just date submitted? or perhaps last opened/downloaded? Either way I wouldn’t read much into that!

well it differs for different school portals
essentially unless you expand absolutely everything its hard to tlel
but then again, I’m a CS person so : D

Ugh so between legacy students, students that are from feeder schools and the full pay student, many of us assume we have no way “in” to be admitted!

3 Likes

anyone here applying to st. johns school

2 Likes

5 1/2 days to go!

3 Likes

I am not sure the right reaction emoji to this so will use them all…

:scream: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :sweat_smile: :tada: :smiley:I am sure it will feel… :sloth:

3 Likes