The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

That’s almost like winning the Trifecta…super impressive

hey does anyone know any bs that are taking late admissions? rejected from mx and deerfield and WL from CA

1 Like

I think peddie does but not super sure

1 Like

There are a few good schools out there catering to relocating families and open to rolling admissions. A few others are also looking to boost full pay international students.

Challenge if you’re seeking financial aid is that these schools often have limited endowments or financial aid process concluded earlier in the year. Worth a look though.

3 Likes

Congratulations to everyone!

If anyone has any questions about Choate, feel free to hit me up! I’m a recent alum (class of 2022).

5 Likes

@lies0014 @gardenstategal and others are giving you good advice. I would NOT go to a school with the plan to transfer, for so many reasons. Here are just a few:
First – “second tier” schools are more similar to “first tier” schools than you are imagining. Put another way: what are you thinking you will get at the “first tier” school that you won’t get at the “second tier” school?
Second – it will be a VERY hard sell to explain why you are transferring besides just “hopping up the food chain” which will not be well-received by anyone. The “first tier” school will NOT be flattered particularly nor will they likely find the ladder-climbing scrappy and ambitious thus welcoming you with open arms for being “wise enough” to recognize how superior they are. They are frankly not interested in name-grabbers, but finding kids who are truly a real fit.
Third – planning to transfer will not put you in the right mindset to give the "second tier’ school a fair try.
Fourth – it will be pretty challenging to get recommendation letters from your new boarding school (to go to another boarding school especially!) two months after starting there.

So, YES of course, you can always transfer if a school isn’t a fit! Sure, it may be messy and little bit hectic, but it IS doable! (I am the mom of the above mentioned transfer kid.). Life is too short not to find a home that feels good for 4 years.
And yes…people stay home for a year and then re-apply all the time for 10th if they don’t get the results they want in 9th. It’s a hard process and some folks don’t approach the school list well the first time around.

4 Likes

Did you get your drivers license while there? How?

2 Likes

@perfectprof @gardenstategal Thank you very much for your replies.

1 Like

I did not, but I know people are able to take driver’s education classes through the school. A lot of people also get their license over the summer and breaks.

Many people have voiced their opinions. I’d agree with them. But I also want to mention a few scenarios in which this may be worth it.

1. You can pursue something that the lower tier school doesn’t offer. It may be academic or sports or something else. It may be directly offered by the school or you can get access through the school’s network. This is probably the most important and likely reason.

2. The lower tier school is simply not a good fit. Could be academic, social, or even environmental. Or you simply hate the current option and there is no way to make it work.

3. Many life time friends are in the better school. You want to join them badly.

4. Financial reasons or family reasons. Switching from boarding to day for example.

5. I don’t totally agree with this, but I understand some people may. The better school is your dream, going there will make you a much happier person for unexplainable reasons. It happens. To BS, to college, and to many things in life as well. Some people think it’s the perceived name and reputation, but it could be much broader than that. It’s a one time achievement at certain stage of your life. A recognition. Others may think this means nothing, but it means a lot more to you even if it doesn’t necessarily mean a better future.

Whatever the reason is, you need to understand that transfer in the future is not guaranteed. You need to have a backup plan if it doesn’t happen. You should also understand that your life at the new school may not be what you expect it to be. Grass is always greener somewhere else, but is it?

It’s a long way to say it may make sense to transfer, but only for valid reasons. You really need to think it through.

3 Likes

If you go into boarding school assuming you’re going to “upgrade” in your mind you’re likely to be disengaged academically, socially and in your sports/activities, so you’d be setting yourself up for a potentially miserable experience. It’s one thing to leave a situation in which you’re not thriving—kids do it every year because it’s too stressful, they realize they want to be home, they’re not getting what they want out of sports/arts, they’re looking for more or less academically, need a smaller/larger school, etc. But that’s a different situation. Best of luck finding a great fit!

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Has anyone reached out to boardings school on M10 or since for any reason actually get a response back?

I figured, with craziness of M10 and Spring Break, it might be slow when looking for a response.

For people with experience from previous year, did the school staff work through Spring Break to deal with questions post M10?

I haven’t gotten any responses from my AO’s after I reached out on M10.

Probably enjoying spring break rn.

1 Like

I just found out I got full aid from Thacher and I also got the Olympus Fund to defray extra expenses.

My mind is spinning and I’m starting to feel the pressure of having to make a decision.

5 Likes

Yes, I reached out about some alternative revisit options for our family that can’t make in person visits and heard back from four schools.

1 Like

Congrats!

1 Like

In 2019 it was a Sunday and we learned on 3/9.

I emailed my interviewer (admission associate) regarding my interest and waitlist. Already got a response on 3/10.

Also, is anyone familiar with hotchkiss’ admission team? Please pm me.

does anyone know if it’s possible to appeal fa and if there are any merit scholarships I can apply to?