The Official UC Chance Thread

Schools: All UCs

UC GPA: 4.12
UW: 3.81
W: 4.5

ACT: 33 (Retaking senior year to see if I can get a 35 but for now 33)

Pretty good ECs

I should have some good Rec’s

Just want to see in terms of scores where am I?

As for SAT II I got a 750 in Math 2 and a 720 in Spanish.

What are my chances for all the UCs?

STATS:
SAT I (breakdown): 1420 (R630/M790)
SAT II: 660 Math II not planning to submit

UC GPA: 3.45 W; 3.05 UW
Rank middle, competitive HS
Top 9% of CA State
AP (place score in parenthesis):
Calc AB (4), English Lang and Comp (3)
Other APs (US & World History, Physics, Chem) only score 2, should I bother to send in?

So&Jr Year Courses:
English 10 Honor
Chem H
Algebra II Honor
AP World history
AP English Language
AP US History
AP Calc AB
AP Physics
Chinese II Honor & III Honor

Senior year:
AP Chinese, AP Statistic, AP Computer Science, Creative Writing, Civic/Economic, Multimedia Art

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): GS Gold Award, 6 years Presidential Service Awards since 6th grade (150+ Service hours)

Intended Major: Business Administration, Computer Science, Media Arts

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Taiwanese Club - 4 years; director of Design 2 years
Art club - 2 years, Vice President and Founder
Disability awareness Club - Sr year, director of Publicity
Leo Club - 2 year, director of design
International Culture ambassador organization- 2 years, highly selective
3 year JV & Varsity Golf
Chinese martial arts: red belt, black belt candidate in March 2018.

Summer Activities:
Volunteer for Summer Science Camp 3 years
AID (teaching English In Taiwan remote and disadvantaged city) This summer

Job/Work Experience:
After school homework tutoring 3 years (~3 hours/ week)

Volunteer/Community service:
Art Club 200+ hours,
Taiwanese Club 150+ hours
City service 100+
Girl Scouts 150+

Other:
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant): US
School Type: Large public school (~3000 students)
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: More than 200K
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): interests in any aspect of design, also Gold Award on promoting art+ technology related careers to young teens.

Korean Immigrant, Permanent Resident.
Weighted : 4.31
UW : 3.85
ACT : 32
Math II : 730
Korean : 800

EC’s
Library employee
Library volunteer
CSF Officer
Tennis Player
Church Volunteer
CSF life long member (4 years)
JV Tennis Captain of the year

Essays :
Mainly talked about overcoming problems when I moved here,
learning English, meeting new people, and learning new culutre.

Applying to : (Almost all of them are undeclared)
UCSB
UCLA
CAL
UC Davis
UCSD
UCI

Lets see: Davis, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz

3.81 GPA, total of 6 AP classes (5 in senior year)
1390 new sat (700 English, 690 math)

Decent Essays, fairly unique I think.
Hooks: I’ve grown up working on a small farm my whole life.

delete this message

somebody chance me all UC’s not Merced for chemical engr
4.08 uc gpa, 4.17 w, 3.76 uw
SAT scores- i cant believe they require ALL :frowning:
September- 1300, June- 1460, Aug- 1490, Oct- 1400 :frowning:
subject- math2 750, chem 720
ap - psych 3, lang 3, chem 3, calc 5
EC’s: summer tutoring job, swim, cross country, science olympiad
decent essays i think?

@SREE33 I think you have a pretty good shot at getting in to the UC’s. Your SAT scores aren’t low but they’re a bit below the cutoff omfor the more difficult UC’s to get into. Overall, GPA is great, you’ve done well in AP’s

@JunioHan Your GPA is on top. Good amount of EC’s as well. I believe your SAT subject test scores a good boost for chances along with your ACT score. I don’t know how you’ve written you essays, this is just speculation but it your topics seem a bit common as many students have written similar things in the past. But do not worry too much about your statements if they are not super strong. Your other factors like GPA will definitley be good in comprehensive review!

Chance Me for:
All UC’s

Asian American Male
Planned major: Environmental Studies/Environmental Science, with my second option being Public Policy, Political Science, or Ecology and Evolution (I want to do research and go to law school to become an Environmental Lawyer)
1490 SAT (720 Reading/Writing, 770 Math 17 Essay)
750 World History SAT II
4.58 Weighted 4.0 Unweighted Public School in Northern California.
IB Math SL: 4
AP US History: 3
IB Theatre SL: 4
AP Music Theory: 3

This year taking:
IB Biology HL/2
IB English HL/2
IB History of Europe HL/2
Theory of Knowledge
AP Statistics
Jazz Band

Extracurricular:
-Eagle Scout, involved in Boy Scouts of America since 2011, served as Senior Patrol Leader and Crew Leader on High Adventure trips, my Eagle Project was beautifying a quad on my school campus and making the potentially dangerous area much safer for students and faculty
-Captain of Mock Trial team, Lead Prosecuting Attorney, two time county champions, State Level Outstanding Witness MVP Award
-2017 California Boys State Representative, interviewed by American Legion and chosen from my peers by teachers to be a candidate, State Assembly and Senate recognition, Assistant Deputy Attorney, Assistant Band Director
I play 7 different instruments starting when I was 6, starting to compose when I was 8:
-Concertmaster and president/founder of school Orchestra Club and Concertmaster of Butte Youth Orchestra, Certificate of Merit for both violin and piano.
-Trumpet Section Leader of Marching, Concert, and Jazz Band, Silver Award at Anaheim Heritage Festival
-Lead Singer and Guitarist in my own Rock Band
-Tenor Section Leader for school choir, Soloist and Lead Tenor at Northern California High School Honor Choir, Lead Singer in Barbershop Quartet
-Lead Actor, Screenwriter, and Director in my own shows as well as writing my own musical at 14, Best Supporting Actor in school production of School of Rock. Director of Moliere’s “The Miser”
Treasurer of Butte Chapter High School Democrats since 2015, I managed finances for the chapter, fundraiser for the club, and organized funds for local campaigns
-Varsity Track and Cross Country Star Freshman and Sophomore years before leaving to focus on academics
-Peer Tutor since 2014

-6 Years as a docent volunteering at Gateway Science Museum to guide visitors on tours and field trips, lead environmental campaigns,and spread awareness for science
-Spent each summer as a counselor for my church’s Vacation Bible School, The Lead Singer and Guitarist for my Youth Group’s Praise Team organizing practice and picking songs
-A year as a Junior Volunteer at Enloe Hospital working the gift shop, running labs, and heading the front desk, recipient of the President’s Volunteer Service Award

Writing:
I have a letter of recommendation from my school counselor who is also very heavily involved in theater and knows me very well. One of my teacher recommendations is from my IB Biology HL/2 Teacher who is a close family friend who has watched me grow into a leader, since her son is in my Boy Scout troop as well. She can also attest to my work ethic. My second letter of recommendation is from my IB History of Europe HL/2 teacher who is also my IB coordinator and can speak for me very well as well.
For my UC essays, I focused on a theme of creativity and thinking outside to box to express myself despite being forced to conform to the culture my strict and emotionally abusive immigrant parents. I emphasized how I felt trapped between two worlds and managed to find a passion to learn for myself rather than being forced to pretend to be someone else by pursuing my passion of the arts instead of focusing on academics all the time.

Other info:
I do not qualify for very much financial aid

If you have any other questions, please ask and I will clarify. Any feedback whatsoever will be very helpful. Thank you all so much!

Chance me please for all UC’s except riverside and Merced

Planned major: human bio/biology
Alternative: international relations/global studies
(I’m planning on majoring in biology and minoring or double majoring in international relations or global studies)
SAT: 1420
SAT Subejct Test: bio-700
ACT:32
UW GPA: 3.96
W GPA:4.375
AP exams: WHAP (5), AP psych (5), AP lang (5), AP Bio(4), APUSH (5)

Senior year classes:
Ap Spanish Lang, Ap lit, Ap gov and Ap microeconomics, APES, AP Calc AB

Extracurriculars:
Interact club: 9th-12th grade with a leadership position every year. For my senior year, I became the president. I also coordinated three fundraisers.
Youth Executive League at the Library: I am the Vice President and a group of teenagers and I create events at the library for all ages. 9-12th
Teen Court: 10th-12th. I serve as a defense attorney twice a month for minors who commit minor crimes in our county.
Youth and Gov: 10th-12th. I model the US government with 3,000 other students across California at three conferences per year.
Without a Roof: 11th-12th. We help create fundraisers for refugees in our city and we help them move into apartments.
Nationals Honor Society: 10th-12th grade
Spanish Nationals Honor Society: 10th-12th grade
Chemistry Olympiad: 10th-11th I qualified for state both year but couldn’t go.
Book Buddies: 11th-12 every Monday for a month, I would help a first grader with reading skills.
Tutor: 10th-12th. I have tutored people for money and service in algebra 2, geometry, world history, Spanish, and biology.
Soccer: I have played rec soccer for over 13 years and I played for my school my freshman year.
International: I also coordinated a dinner for orphans and refugees in Amman, Jordan the summer after my sophomore year. With Interact club, we raised over $1,000 to help the hurricane victims this year as well.

Jobs:
Babysitting: 9-12th
Soccer Referee: 12th grade
Tutor: 10th-12th

Awards:
AP scholar with distinction, Golden Star Student Award, Rotary Youth Leadership Award, NHD-CA top ten finalist for documentaries in the state.

Other info:
I’m an in-state student, first generation American, and I’m white. Also, I attended a large public school in California and I’m in the top 5% of my class.

Please chance me!!

Stats:
UC GPA: 4.2
ACT: 32
SAT II: Math 2 760, Bio M 670
APs: (Junior year)- AP Lang (3) AP Bio (3) AP Psych (5). (Senior year)- AP Calc AB, AP Lit, AP Physics 1, AP Gov, AP Econ

ECs:
Softball (travel and high school… Team Captain of both teams)
Babysitting
Tutoring
Softball assistant coach (volunteer)
NHS (11&12)
Red Cross Club (11&12… Senior Ambassador)
Volunteered at hs snack bar
Work experience: Have worked at a well known franchise for almost a year (Associate Trainer)
Got a job on a farm for several weekends, selling fruit

Essays: Talked about my passionate curiosity about life and science and many difficulties I encountered through softball.

Ethnicity: White
High income

UCLA: aerospace engineering
UCSB: chemistry
UCSD: aerospace engineering
UCD: chemistry
UCB: chemistry
UCSC: chemistry

I am IN STATE

Top schools are UCLA or UCSB :slight_smile:

My crystal ball predicts acceptances for chemistry at UCSB, Davis, and UCSC. I predict an admit to UCSD as undeclared. You’ll have some great choices!

Thanks for the input!! Hopefully your crystal ball is right! :slight_smile:

Hi all! Please chance me for UCI, UCSB, UCSD, UCSC, UCLA, UCB

I’m an Asian American Female
Planned major: Economics/Business
Alternate Major: Management Science
33 ACT (32 M, 36 R, 29 S, 35 E)

4.08 Weighted 3.77 Unweighted
School: Public, CA

Extracurricular:

• 3 years in Speech and Debate, qualified to state junior year. (Team Treasurer, our team has over 150 people)
  • Volunteered at a museum, 120+ hours, got the President’s Service Award
  • Coached Special Olympics softball
  • Varsity Softball and Varsity Track for one year
  • Part-time job at a retail store
  • Lab assistant, analyzed gas chromatography, paid job
  • I sell things online

Essays were pretty good in my opinion.

My EFC is 15k a year, how much money do you guys think i would get from the school if I did get in?

Thank you!

@lavender187 Great ACT & EC’s! I bet you’ll make it into UCSC, UCI, & UCSB. UC is generous to students with financial need. You’ll prob get a 7-10k UC grant if you don’t qualify for Cal grant. Plus 5.5K fed loan & maybe 2K work study. Be sure to file FAFSA before 3/2 deadline. Goodluck!

ahh thank you! makes me feel a lot better :slight_smile:

Chance me?

Out Of State Student

School:

• Relatively small HS in Northern Virginia

UC GPA: 4.38

Ranking (at the end of junior year):

• 25/425

New SAT Math: 670
New SAT Reading/Writing: 720
Essay Reading: 7
Essay Analysis: 4
Essay Writing: 7

Total: 1390

SAT IIs: None (By the time I realized I should’ve taken these, it was too late, rip)

AP Scores:

• World History - 2 (yes, i submitted this score. ngl I hated ap world)
  • Eng Language - 4
  • Psychology - 4
  • Macroeconomics - 4
  • Microeconomics - 5
  • U.S. History - 5

11 grade Courses

• AP Economics (micro+macro)
  • AP Eng Lang/Comp
  • AP Psychology
  • AP US History
  • Math Analysis (Honors-out of state, basically precalc but harder)
  • Physics
  • Spanish IV (Honors-out of state)

12 grade Courses

• Spanish V (Honors-out of state)
  • Writing Center I (english elective, morning classes for tutoring in school)
  • AP Calculus BC
  • AP Environmental Science
  • AP U.S. & Comp Government (combo)
  • AP Statistics
  • AP Eng Lit & Comp
  • Art I

Extracurriculars:

• 3 years as officer in FELT, which is a selective school leadership team
  • 2 years as Secretary & Co-Founder in LSCC, volunteer community service
  • 2 years as officer in Teen Leadership Council for a library to organize/plan activities
  • 2 years as VP of Math Honor Society
  • 1 year in ASC, basically Writing Center I which is a voluntary course to tutor in English
  • 4 years in Speech & Debate
  • 2 years in MUN
  • 1 year in Asian American Student Association
  • 1 year in Varsity Tennis (10th grade lmao)

Ethnicity:

• I’m actually very diverse. My 4 grandparents basically give me these ethnic backgrounds: Mexican, Korean, Italian, English. I put all four because I simply cannot ignore (roughly) a fourth of me, but I hope the admin doesn’t think I’m exaggerating.

Income:

• Upper middle class bracket

Berkeley: Interdisciplinary Studies
Davis: Sociology
Irvine: Criminology, Law & Society
Riverside: Political Science/International Affairs
San Diego: Political Science - International Relations
Santa Barbara: Political Science

Note: All alternative majors are Political Science

Thank you for taking the time out of your day if you respond after reading this. I really appreciate it as a stressed senior in hs, haha! And sorry if this is too much information

UC’s do not consider Race/Ethnicity in their admission decisions. OOS Honors courses not weighted by the UC’s.

Your SAT, GPA and EC’s are solid. UCB is always a Reach due to the competitiveness and low acceptance rate. The rest of the schools are within Reach.

UCB: Reach
UCSD: High Match
UCSB: Match
UCD: Match
UCI: Match
UCR: Safety if affordable.

Please Chance me at all UC except Merced and riverside
Out of state, female
GPA 3.75, but I think my UC GPA is lower

Upper middle class/lower high class income bracket

School: top 5 public school in my state, does not rank

AP courses taken and the scores I reported:
AP world history
AP Seminar(3)
AP english lang
AP Environmental Science (4)
AP government
APUSH
AP Spanish
AP Research
AP Macro & Micro Economics

And a college level science class and honors classes. Received all A’s in AP classes except 1 B in AP seminar.
Problem is I got a C in math junior year but raised it to a B second semester. Also a C in sophomore math but retook it and reported it twice with both grades I received (C and A).

SAT: 1340, 640 math and 700 reading

Extra activities:
Varsity Golf (2 years,1 year Jv)
Boys and girls club volunteer
Worked as front desk at doctor office
President of global cultural club
Link Leader
Passed State wide Russian language test that proves I am fluent as native language
Volunteer at local Russian school with children and organize city wide Russian cultural events

Essays were about being a global citizen and cited Russian history and poetry. Also about summer Jewish camp I went to and growing up in multi cultural environment. I think 3/4 of them were very solid.

Applied as undeclared everywhere

Thank you!