The Only College Fencing Recruiting Thread You Need to Read

@cbg111 Thanks for the info about the Lafayette fencing program. My daughter liked the school on a visit and plans to apply. She did email the coach, and also filled out a recruitment form, but didn’t get a reply.

Is there a reason they don’t recruit? The roster hasn’t been updated for 2016-2017, but as you mention last year’s roster was incomplete, especially for women.

I am wondering how important SAT II scores are for IVY league schools. My son has a good GPA (4.0 unweighted) and ACT score (35) but has not taken any SAT Subject tests. He is currently taking 5 AP classes this year (Junior year). Is it possible to apply IVY league without any SAT Subject tests?

@vegasjoy - I assume that you are posting this on the fencing recruiting thread because your son is a fencer who intends to fence in college, preferably at an Ivy League school. Based on that assumption, yes, it is possible to apply to an Ivy League school without SAT Subject Tests. However, this largely applies to top recruits. The main factor here is that for most if not all Ivy League school fencing programs, the minimum score (around 750) needed to raise the team average in this area is generally higher than the typical recruit has on his/her SAT IIs. This said, your son should be prepared to submit a minimum of 2 of these scores.

@vegasjoy I think your son is OK. Look at the testing requirements for each Ivy League school. I think for most the requirement is EITHER the SAT and any two SAT Subject Tests, OR the ACT.

@arwarw - Please be careful. I am not aware of any Ivy that waives SAT or ACT score requirements in exchange for Subject SAT scores. Are you able to refer to documentation from schools to this effect? This was certainly not the case in my son’s recruitment process which involved all of the top Ivy League programs.

I understand. Hopefully, he will have 2 subject tests done by April. Thank you for your comments.

@BrooklynRye - Out of curiosity I Googled the testing requirements for the Ivy League schools with NCAA fencing teams:

Brown University - Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement in one of two ways: (1) Either the SAT and any two SAT Subject Tests, or (2) the ACT.

Columbia University (with Barnard College) - The SAT Subject Test scores are not required, but Columbia will accept scores from the exams if you choose to submit them. You will not be at a disadvantage should you choose not to take the tests or submit the scores to Columbia

Cornell University (women’s team only) - varies by college http://admissions.cornell.edu/sites/admissions.cornell.edu/files/2017%20Freshman%20Requirements.pdf

Harvard University -normally require two SAT Subject Tests, you may apply without them if the cost of the tests represents a financial hardship or if you prefer to have your application considered without them.

University of Pennsylvania - Two SAT Subject Tests are recommended but not required. Applicants who do not take SAT Subject Tests will not be at a disadvantage in the admissions process.

Princeton University - recommend, but do not require, the submission of two SAT Subject Tests

Yale University - SAT Subject Tests are recommended but not required. Applicants who do not take SAT Subject Tests will not be disadvantaged in the application process.

Thank you @arwarw. I am familiar with these requirements. While most of the Ivies do not strictly ‘require’ the submission of SAT Subject Tests, I have to imagine that most applicants leave no stone unturned in their quest for admission. That said, I am viewing this through the prism of recruiting which has some unique rules. If the OP’s son were to be formally recruited by any of these schools, it is probable that SAT Subject tests would not only not be required and would truly not disadvantage his application.

My 2¢ as a fellow parent of a current HS junior: I’m assuming that the farther up the NRPS list you are, the less those SAT IIs are going to matter. National team member? Probably not much of an issue if you skip them… Bottom third of points list…you’ll probably want to have them.

@vegasjoy: If your kid is still a junior, plenty of time to get a few SATIIs knocked out between this year and Oct. sitting of his Senior year. Unless cost is truly an issue, I can’t see the downside of having him take them.

Thanks for your comments.

My son is currently a junior in high school. He is currently looking to being recruited to a HYP-C Div 1. It is my understanding that starting Sept 1 of junior year, the coaches may contact via phone, as well as email unlimited times with the students. Does anyone know of this as otherwise? Also being that it is only two months into his junior semester, grades aren’t available, nor any standardized test taken yet. Therefore, if we were to contact any coaches now, not much academic info’s can be provided other than grades from earlier years. When and how would be the best way of contacting the college coaches? I would assume the better method initially would be email. Any suggestions as to what should be mentioned or included in the introduction letter? I have also heard several elite high school junior fencers have already visited colleges and met with coaches. Is this the usual timeline in meeting with the coaches?
My son is A rated, with very high ranking in the junior list and cadet. Currently only a very few other kids in his grade are higher ranked. Academically to date he’s done very well. Is it too early to be contacting the coaches now and setting up a meeting? Or perhaps the opposite, is it too late?

@juniorsword - First, your official recruitment eligibility dates are a bit off. Your son’s eligibility for DV1 recruitment starts July 1st after he completes his junior year of high school. Recently, this date has been moved via NCAA waiver to late-June due to coaches meeting students at Summer Nationals, but you are not talking earlier than the last week of June 2017. By then, your son should have a full junior transcript and possibly initial scores.

Second, I strongly recommend, based on your son’s weapon, that you scan the current rosters for CHYP to see if there is a need. If your son is a top-top recruit, this may not matter as CHP will take him regardless of straight-up need just to have a fencer of his quality.

Third, if you have not already heard from any coaches at these schools, you can start sending out emails, expressing interest, supplying some basic information, and inquiring about required materials. You can also start talking to them about unofficial visits to the schools. There nothing stopping you from visiting these schools and meeting with the coaches (outside of NCAA blackout dates), and nothing stopping them from speaking to you, on-campus, during such a visit. These can be very useful!

Finally, avail yourself of the experience of friends and peers in the fencing community. While you may be competing with some, there are countless others who have gone through this and are willing to share their experiences.

Good luck!

Hi @BrooklynRye If I’m reading the link below correctly, the latest recruiting calendar from NCAA for Division 1 allows email and phone calls from coaches starting 9/1 junior year. You still can’t meet with a coach off-campus until July 1 between junior and senior year, or have an official visit until you’ve started senior year.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/June2016_DIOtherSportsRecruitingGuide_20160613.pdf

@stencils - Yes, this is correct. I was responding to what I thought was an inquiry regarding the best timing for contacting coaches re recruitment and as to when coaches can have “official” recruitment meetings with prospective recruits. As @juniorsword indicates, contact in fall of junior year is a bit premature to the extent to which there are no grades and, usually, no scores to talk about. Other than those few elite fencers who can pretty much write their own recruitment ticket, such early contact really doesn’t accomplish much…

@juniorsword - BrooklynRye is right on, and he’s an expert on the fencing recruitment process. My daughter is a HS senior this year. We followed recommendations from the experienced parents on this thread pretty much verbatim, and it’s worked well.
She sent target coaches an email in spring of junior year with a list of academic and fencing results, and asking for meetings at Summer Nationals. Most coaches were very responsive, and the Summer Nationals meetings were very helpful.
She also went to general admission open houses for some of her target schools in the spring of junior year and some coaches were willing to meet on campus during those events.
Most of the schools she targeted were not HYPC, but we found the process at other D1 and D3 to be as described in earlier posts on this thread.

@BrooklynRye and @stencils- Thank you very much for your helpful replies. When contacting the coaches via email at this early stage in his junior year, without much, in fact, no academics and test scores to report, would attaching his fencing resume, video highlight link, and possibly transcripts from his first two years be appropriate? Or should just a brief letter of introduction with his name, rank/rating, and expression of interest in their school be more appropriate? The other items to send later only if the coach responds back requesting them?

We sent out a one page resume with two sections: academics and athletics.

Academic section included: Test scores, GPA, School contacts, course rigor. @juniorsword, maybe you could list his PSAT score and a note that SAT or ACT will be taken on X date.

Athletics section included: Weapon, Right handed, Rating and Rank, Ht and Wt, Coach contact and a list of notable finishes.

1 Like

In my opinion, an early junior year email should include a brief introduction with a one page attachment summarizing the prospect’s academic and fencing qualifications.

Academic: W and UW GPA, class rank, test scores to date - enough to let the coach know if the applicant is admitable.

Fencing - weapon, handedness, rating, ranking(s), notable national results.

I look forward to other opinions but to me a highlight video seems silly; any decent fencer can compile a video of good or even great touches. Unless it shows the applicant taking the podium at Worlds, I don’t see the point. Other opinions?

Generally agreed re video. It can help with lower ranked or less visible fencers who might not otherwise be on the radar of top fencing programs. But that is presumably not the case for this OP.

Here are a few questions about video (for those who choose to go that route):

• Would you show only winning bouts? Any upside to showing a 14-15 loss vs. a TOP ranked opponent?
  • Should you show full bouts (5-touch) or periods (in 15-touch bouts) or edit them down to a "greatest touches" thing?