The Oscar Slap

I do agree and expect him to apologize. I’m personally giving him 36 hours to compose his statement before I decide he’s a loser. It’s a lot to process. I believe he didn’t know, so I expect he should express sincere regrets about that. (For all we know he may have already made a personal apology to her about not knowing about the alopecia).

1 Like

I totally 100% agree with you, but not with the comments that the joke wasn’t offensive. There is always a line, and this one was crossed.

I turned off the TV after this slap, very disrespectful to the audience. Hell if I’m going to see this movie, defeating the purpose of winning anything at Oscar night.

1 Like

Where did people say it wasn’t offensive? I said other jokes were cringe worthy too.

But they should. Our streets would be safer. But that’s a different topic….are we too light on criminal penalties.

I just keep thinking aunt viv must be glowing right now….the first one.

1 Like

I actually feel the same about people who don’t like celebrities because they hear bad things. I agree with you, we don’t know them, good or bad, but many people have good sides and bad sides, celebrities are no different. Will Smith and Chris Rock are strangers to me, I can judge their talent but not their persons.

2 Likes

Violence is always wrong, I really don’t care what Chris Rock joked about. That assault took planning, he took 10-15 seconds to think about what he was doing as he crossed the stage.
He should have been removed by security and when he was announced the winner of his award he should have been unavailable to accept and lost his moment. Actions have consequences.
He apologized to the academy and tried to paint himself as a victim and defender of his family but that apology is meaningless when I see him out partying all night with no remorse.

I’m appalled.

13 Likes

Surprisingly, she is defending Will Smith’s actions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CboeJp9sqFv/

Wow. I’m astounded. Really.

Maybe she was hacked :slight_smile:

We’ll few on cc ever agree with me. Maybe she had to join the crew.

Really, I don’t know how anyone can validate what happened and especially the person whose career was wrecked.

Astounded. Truly.

I don’t think what Will Smith did was okay by any stretch of the imagination. I also don’t think it’s okay for anyone - man or woman, celebrity or man on the street, to comment on another’s appearance in a cruel or unkind way. One wouldn’t have happened without the other.

3 Likes

This is what comedians do. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. But it’s not the first and won’t be the last that material fell on its face.

5 Likes

If the slap hadn’t occurred I’m not sure if anyone would have thought about the joke for more than 10 seconds. It was about a 25-year-old movie and I’m not sure that most of the tv audience would have made the connection between the character’s shaved head and Jada’s. I sure didn’t. If they did, I think most people would think “that’s dumb.” And it’s not like the joke was that she could do Mr. Clean ads (Which is who I looked like when I was bald from chemo.) It was a strong, beautiful character. So it really didn’t make much sense as a joke that was vetted several times before that night. Jada can choose to rock the bald or to wear a wig (she can certainly afford the best) but in my opinion it was a rude jab in a setting where there are lots of insulting edgy jokes. I hate those. But I don’t hit people over them.

3 Likes

So, Will Smith gets to assault a comedian over a joke he didn’t like, with no consequences so far (although the Academy seems to be looking into possible consequences). It really was shocking to see that last night. I think many comedians are very horrified at what happened. They are used to being heckled now and again but assault takes it to another level.

12 Likes

I’m going to try and get ahold of a friend of mine this week that is lifelong friends with a huge name in Hollywood to see what she has heard about the slap incident from someone right there in front of it.

2 Likes

At least he followed it up with tears and excuses and such great lines as “I want to be a vessel for love”.

Smith’s overreaction seemed oddly timed. I can’t help but think that the slap was a preemptive strike to keep Chris Rock from telling a joke that feeds the rumors that Smith is gay.

Will Smith has apologized to Chris and everyone else on Instagram. Chris Rick showed great restraint.

I don’t like to be critical of an apology, but it sounds like it was put together by a publicist after hearing all of the negativity online about the slap. Will should have apologized to Chris last night.

14 Likes

The time to apologize to Chris Rock would have been during his acceptance speech.

21 Likes

Smith’s onstage “apology” at the oscar’s came after he spoke with his publicist.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RaminSetoodeh/status/1508273103402516480?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1508273103402516480|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fslate.com%2Fculture%2F2022%2F03%2Fwill-smith-chris-rock-oscars-slap-punch-video.html