The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

OMG - I’m so over this!!!

I just received this note from the Music Director (btw, I called the guy after I saw her grimacing at the concert and he never called me back - he just confirmed that he never got the message since his voicemail was screwed up - geeeezzz!!!

Hello,

Can you clarify which shoulder is injured? On the 2 notes we received, the left shoulder was mentioned. If it is the left shoulder, playing jazz may be the culprit. Classical bowing uses the right arm since string players use their right arm to bow. I understand she may want to keep playing jazz and we certainly need her but the reality is that this may be the cause of her pain and not classical.
Please let us know and please ask her to review with Mr. Mautner what she needs to do until she can resume playing again.
Thanks,

Mr. C

They are not giving up on her playing classical - are they? This was my response…Ughhhh!!!

Dear Mr. C,

It’s her left shoulder.

It reared it’s ugly head when she went to Brevard 3 summers ago. She was bowing 6 to 7 hours a day - and by the end of the summer she was in intense pain. We took her to a doctor who said that the shoulder was subligated and might need surgery. She had played no jazz that summer so it wasn’t from playing jazz.

She did the Alexander Technique and PT in SC to avoid surgery - and bowed through the pain. The dr. thinks it has something to do with her posture when she bows. When she moved to CA, she talked to David Young about it and went to the PT that he recommended which helped. But then - when she was getting ready for the Spring performance - it flared up again.

I know that her interest has waned for classical - so I wonder if it’s because it hurts her? It’s been a bit surprising to me since she’s always loved playing classical.

PMing so as not to create a tangent on the thread.

Overuse injuries from over-playing in summer programs is one of my pet peeves (maybe that is putting it too mildly.)It’s a common problem for string players and can be career-threatening.

Just noticed there are ONLY 3 more weeks until all will be known! I have run many marathons and always “loved” when people would yell at mile 23…only 3 more miles!! Lol…seriously I’m DYING…there ain’t no ONLY in those last 3 excruciating miles. So I’ll just say: You can do it! Hang in there! There’s a medal at the end!

Hoping to hear more good news over the next 3 weeks!!

Oh man @bridgenail you hit the nail on the head!!! I think we are looking at 2 weeks minimum. I’d love to think all offers will be in by 3/23, 2 weeks from today, but I fully believe New School and NEC will likely be that very last week. Ughhhhh.

Oh, is that this month?

Happy Friday in March, y’all!!! Cheers to an extra glass of wine whilst checking portals and waiting on the postman today!!!

time to start saying “He’ll know in a week or two” that’s casual enough

@dramasopranomom I have definitely been portal surfing…hadn’t thought to pair the wine with that task but will certainly do so now!! Still no snail mail either.

…And sometimes you get trapped in waitlist-land, effectively extended the agony beyond 4/1…

While waiting on the last few schools, we set up a sample lesson at FSU in a few weeks. A soon as we non-refundably booked a rental beach house to make it a long weekend, we got word S18 was invited to the Presidential Scholarship weekend at FSU,…the weekend following our booked trip. At least he will be well informed about FSU when it comes time to make a decision!

Oh @vistajay , aaaaagh! Also… haha! Of course! I hope you can drive and it’s not a plane ride each time!

@dramasopranomom , its only a 5.5 hr drive, so no biggie. We will focus on the music school one visit, and the general university the next.

That’s awesome @vistajay! My nephew got his PhD in guitar at FSU. He is now teaching at UNC Wilmington. And @glassharmonica NOOOOOOOOO!!! :-((

My D has finally come down with the flu. Tamiflu to the ready! I also think she may have been more susceptible due to all the stress over the last 2 months. She is no longer anxious about results. But I still am! #neuroticparent.

I usually love it when a check is in the mailbox and there are no bills to accompany it. That happened today. But still, the mail was so disappointing. (Tapping my foot, waiting, waiting…)

@SpartanDrew I fell you. I think Peabody holds out until the last day too!

OMG… just got an email from the Peabody prof saying how much he enjoyed hearing my daughter play and that scholarship info will ge out in 2-3 weeks!!!
That sounds hopeful???

Well D got her acceptance letter to Purchase in the mail yesterday. It made no mention of scholarship so I assume there is none? @indeestudios if a scholarship was offered would it have been in that letter do you know? D’s portal hasn’t been updated with anything either.

On another note, we got the fantastic recording of D’s new original song that she wrote and recorded with her Grammy camp band. D also charted it out. The band really exceeded our expectations with the recording. It’s kind of a neo-soul sound which is what she really wants to do. Write and record/perform modern jazz influenced music of her own. She sent the soundcloud link and the chart to the faculty at NEC, Frost and New School. I figured it can’t hurt and maybe shows some different dimensions and depth to her musically. It’s actually the new song she auditioned at Frost with for the CAM minor.

She also got some other AMAZING news yesterday but we aren’t allowed to spill it yet. :-(( Once it’s public I’ll post here but it’s beyond exciting. So far March is looking pretty good and I am really hopeful the next 2 weeks continue in that direction!

WOWWWWWW @NYsaxmom!!! Such great news! Is it a top choice for her?