The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>Yeaa vacation starts the March 29 to April 6.</p>

<p>Alelu, I have the same break as you. A whole week to goā€¦ :)</p>

<p>Iā€™m still at school! :(</p>

<p>WOOH week aux bahames (I love the way my French teacher says it ā€¦ oh bombs hahaha) and then some fun relaxing before revisits.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>This is my list alphabetized and organized:
BEDDING
-Blanket for Sitting on Outside/Ground
-Comforter/Duvet
-Extra Duvet
-Extra Long Sheets
-Fleece Blanket
-Mattress Pad/Cover
-Pillow Cases
-Pillows
-Quilt
-Squishy Pillow</p>

<p>CLEANING STUFF
-Bleach Pen
-Disinfectant Spray/Bleach
-Fabric Softener
-Febreeze/Air Freshener
-Laundry Bag
-Laundry Marker
-Laundry Soap
-Lint Roller
-Lysol/Clorox Wipes
-Quarters for Laundry
-Sewing Kit
-Stain Remover
-Tide Pen
-Trash Can</p>

<p>CLOTHING
-Accessories and Jewelry
-Bathing Suits
-Blazers
-Bras
-Corduroys
-Dresses
-Flats
-Fleeces
-Flip Flops
-Gloves
-Hats
-Heels
-Jackets
-Jeans
-Khakis
-Leather Boots
-Leggings
-Mittens
-Oxford Shirts
-PJ Pants
-Polo Shirts
-Rain Boots
-Raincoat
-Regular Sneakers
-Running Sneakers
-Sandals
-Scarves
-Nice Shorts
-Sports Shorts
-Skirts
-Sleep Shirts
-Slippers
-Snow Boots (Bean Boots or Similar)
-Snow Pants
-Socks
-Solos
-Spandex
-Sports Bras
-Sunglasses
-Sweaters
-Sweatpants
-Sweatshirts
-T Shirts
-Tank Tops
-Uggs
-Umbrella
-Underwear
-Unique Clothing Items (Costume Pieces, Bright Patterns)
-Winter Coats</p>

<p>ELECTRONICS:
-Alarm clock
-Batteries
-Blank CDā€™s
-Calculator (Graphing, Scientific)
-Camera
-Cell Phone
-Chargers for iPod, Cell Phone, Camera etc.
-Extension Cords, Surge Protectors etc.
-Extra Computer Battery
-Fan
-Flashlight
-Headphones
-iPod
-USB Drive
-Laptop
-Printer and Refill Cartridges
-Speakers</p>

<p>FOOD
-Cereal
-Coffee
-Disposable Bowls, Plates, Utensils and Other Kitchen Supplies.
-Granola Bars
-Gum
-Microwave Popcorn
-Mints
-Non-Refrigerated Food- Granola, Fruit, Nuts, Chex Mix, Pretzels, etc.
-Powdered Drinks
-Ramen
-Tea Bags/Hot Cocoa Mix
-Water</p>

<p>FURNITURE & STORAGE
-Bed Risers

• Boxes/ Containers/ Storage
    -Bulletin Board
    -Crates
    -Desk Lamp
    -Dry-Erase Board and Markers
    -Folding Chair
    -Full-Length Mirror
    -General Dorm Decor
    -Hanging Jewelry Organizer
    -Lots of Hangers
    -Nightstand
    -Over the Door Hook for Towels etc.
    -Pictures of Friends and Family
    -Plastic Storage Drawers
    -Posters
    -Seat Cushion, Extra Pillows
    -Shoe Rack or Tree
    -Stick on Wall Hooks
    -Under-Bed Storage</p>

<p>MISC.
-AED
-Backpack
-Board Games
-Duct Tape
-Duffel Bag
-Frisbee
-Heart Rate Monitor
-Medicines
-Paperwork
-Totes
-Water Bottles (Reusable + a Brita Filter)
-Wrapping Paper and Bows</p>

<p>SCHOOL SUPPLIES
-Binders
-Bookmarks
-Calendar
-Colored Pencils
-Day planner
-Envelopes
-Erasers
-Folders
-Foreign Language Dictionary
-Graph Paper
-Highlighters
-Lots of Sticky Notes
-Markers
-Masking Tape
-Notebook Paper
-Notebooks
-Paper Clips
-Pencil Sharpener
-Pens, Pencils, Stationary Supplies
-Printer Paper
-Poster boards
-Rubber bands
-Ruler
-Scissors
-Sharpies
-Stamps
-Stapler
-Tape
-Three Hole Punch
-Thumb Tacks</p>

<p>SPORTS
-Arm Guards
-Chest Protector
-Field Hockey Gloves
-Field Hockey Helmet
-Field Hockey Stick
-Goalie Pants
-Grass Cleats
-Kickers
-Lacrosse Gloves
-Lacrosse Helmet
-Lacrosse Leg Guards
-Lacrosse Stick
-Leg Guards
-Mouth guards
-Shin guards
-Squash Goggles
-Squash Racquet
-Squash Bag
-Squash Sneakers
-Throat Guard
-Turf Shoes</p>

<p>TOILETRIES
-ACE Bandage
-Adhesive Tape
-Anti-Frizz Product
-Band-Aids
-Beach Towel
-Blow Dryer
-Bug Spray
-Comb
-Conditioner
-Deodorant
-Extra Toothpaste
-Face Moisturizer
-Face Wash
-Feminine Hygiene Products
-Floss
-Gauze
-Hair Ties
-Hairbrush
-Headbands
-Lip Balm
-Loofah
-Lotion
-Makeup
-Mouth Wash
-Nail Clippers
-Nail File
-Nail Polish
-Nail Polish Remover
-Neosporin
-Pain Relievers (Advil, Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve)
-Perfume
-Pre Wrap
-Q-tips/Cotton Balls
-Razors
-Rubber Flip Flops
-Shampoo
-Shaving Cream
-Shower Tote
-Soap
-Sunscreen
-Tanning Oil
-Tissues
-Toothbrush
-Toothpaste
-Towels
-Vaseline
-Gentle Tape</p>

<p>That is quite a list! Next question- How to pack it all? I see Crates or under the bed storage. My dream list would include footlocker cases with wheels that could pack the stuff, wheel it into the room, and with the bed risers, be stowed under the bed.
The Rubbermaid Roughneck totes are also good for durable containers that wonā€™t crack and break like some semi-clear or thin-walled containers. In footlockers, I like ECS cases like the military use, [ECS</a> Case](<a href=ā€œhttp://www.ECScase.com%5DECSā€>http://www.ECScase.com), which will holdup for many years.</p>

<p>Thatā€™s a good questionā€¦how do you bring all that stuff? Do you ship to the school before you come?</p>

<p>Has anyone mentioned Expo markers yet? Absolutely essential in my opinion. I use them to write on the mirror in my room as reminders for thingsā€¦</p>

<p>Also very helpful: Silver Sharpies.</p>

<p>Not as helpful as you might think: Bulletin boards</p>

<p>^i concur. i got this cute little vera bradley dry erase board for my doorā€¦ i write quotes and stuff on it and passing people sometimes also write on it :)</p>

<p>remember to bring lots of posters (as well as other decorations) ā€¦i didnā€™t and my room ended up looking quite bare</p>

<p>as for most of this stuff, I bought a lot of it at a nearby target on moving day. I live far away and itā€™s not stuff iā€™d want to have to ship internationally or cram into my suitcase. A lot of more local boarders (think close enough to drive) just bring everything in their car or SUV. Most toiletries, cleaning stuff, school supplies, food and a lot of basic furnishings/storage etc. can and should be bought when you get there- itā€™s ridiculous to try to pack EVERYTHING for moving in. On clothes- if you live close enough, i recommend not bringing winter stuff until a later time- if you plan on going home a weekend or two in the fall, bring coats, boots etc. back then. If you live very far away (like me), send a box or two ahead.</p>

<p>On many of these supply lists it just says ā€œclothesā€ and doesnā€™t really describe what type. I have worn a uniform for the past 3 years and I donā€™t really have clothes that would match the dress code at Exeter. Can somebody please post the type of clothes (shorts, blouses, etcā€¦) that should be worn and ** how many I should buy **? I will be buying all my clothes, furniture, knick-knacks, and extra stuff when I get there so donā€™t worry about writing too many.</p>

<p>i would say get a feel for the style of the school before you buy too many cold weather clothes [besides perhaps a coat and boots, depending on how much money you will have at your disposal]. As for warm weather clothes [at a school like mx, anyway; every school has its own flavor]: </p>

<p>-at least 2 skirts [pay attention to length; floral is good]
-some shorts [length probably isnā€™t at much of an issue as long as your shorts are of reasonable length; try to make sure you have basics like navy, khaki and the like before you dive into floral and plaid]
-at least 2 dresses [there will likely be some formal-ish events; i prefer to just dress up my sun dresses with heels and such rather than have separate dresses for class and formal-ish occasions. Donā€™t worry about really formal occasions, youā€™ll likely be notified well in advance if any come up. bring more formal stuff just to be prepared
-CARDIGANS. i canā€™t stress this enough- a nice skirt/shorts, a good cardigan and a plain [though well-fitted] v-neck t-shirt is an easy, simple outfit. Cardigans can be worn with most any type of shirt, and if there are rules against strapless/spaghetti strap tops/dresses, theyā€™re great for staying in dress code. plus theyā€™re just so darn cute!
-plain t-shirts. easy, cheap and versatile. thatā€™s my motto! get zem in every color of the rainbow [honestly, mine are mostly from old navy and canadian superstore or on sale at gap or banana or something- donā€™t spend too much on these unless you see something unique at a nicer store.]
-tops. polos, blouses, button-ups, camis, whatever. get what you like/use what you have.
-shoes. flats, sandals chucks- get whatever you want. you should probably have at least one pair of spring/summer heels and one pair of fall/winter ones, and some sandals, flats and such are nice. youā€™ll need boots and things for winter, but pm me for info on that/see what people have at exeter
-accessories- they donā€™t have to be expensive. bracelets, rings, necklaces, ribbons- go wild!</p>

<p>yeah, hope that helpsā€¦ pm me if you want to talk brands or winter</p>

<p>Izzy you sound so preppy. Haha np with that just saying. But you need more than just two skirts etc. ?</p>

<p>Well itā€™s all your personal preference- I like skirts and dresses, so I have more of them, but if thatā€™s not your preference, shorts are fine as well. </p>

<p>Haha yeah I sound preppy- in all honesty, I was ridiculously awkward looking/acting in middle school, and even like a third of the way through freshman year [but not as bad as middle school]. I finally figured out my style [and my hair, god.] and paid more attention to stylish girls. I did a sheeutload of online window shopping. I made a priority list of what i needed to get, and I got what I could. Iā€™ve been working all summer to buy the things I want from the stores I want [I just made enough for my Bean Boots!]. So I guess Iā€™m pretty knowledgeable now.</p>

<p>No one on this forum ever told me what people really wore, even though I desperately wanted to know what to buy for school. I had no idea! So thatā€™s why I guess Iā€™m so eager to answer these questions so thoroughly, just in case someone is reading this and has the same questions I did. It might seem shallow, but clothes are a big part of my [and many peopleā€™s] self-image, whether theyā€™re willing to admit it or not. Barring that, other people [usually subconsciously] judge you based on your image, a large portion of which is clothes.</p>

<p>Can you post a link for the bean boots? Whenever I look they seem to be sold out or no longer available! </p>

<p>Is there variation in how people dress? Like do some peoples try to get away with jeans and a tee every day and others wear dresses and heels every day? Do people even wear heels to classes?</p>

<p>Thank you very much Izzy. I am more of a shorts person then dress/skirts so that will probably be my main outfit. Does anyone from Exeter know if alot of the girls wear shorts?</p>

<p>Even if not alot of girls wear shorts at exeter. You should wear what you like. Be different!</p>

<p>hereā€™s the link for bean boots [there are several types; this is the kind iā€™m getting- 8" with thinsulate]: [Bean</a> Boots by L.L.BeanĀ®, 8" Thinsulate: Bean Boots at L.L.Bean](<a href=ā€œWomen's 8" Thinsulate Bean Boots: The Original Duck Bootā€>Women's 8" Thinsulate Bean Boots: The Original Duck Boot)</p>

<p>As for style: OF COURSE everyone has their own style! Iā€™m just giving you a rundown of the basic preppy clothes that the average preppy girl wears- no more, no less.</p>

<p>Thanks! Yeah you didnā€™t answer my question before, but do people wear heels? Are some people really dressy?</p>

<p>Oh, sorry! I meant to! I only know of one or two girls who wear heels to class [though if you do, youā€™ll get compliments], but of course some people are dressier than others- some are bare minimum dress code, with shorts and plain t-shirts, some wear trousers and blazers.</p>