The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

@Atria Those 10 pages when it’s just three people talking about Disney

And this :)) :

I am proposing a new trend: #eckeltricity

I am proposing not. Ahahahaha can we make more lists? Disney is not the most exciting topic.

Here’s the most recent list:

TOILETRIES

-Shower tote
-shower shoes
-Toiletries
-Towels
-Washcloths
-sunscreen
-bug spray
-Flat Iron
-Tissues
-Band-Aids
-Makeup
-Shampoo
-Conditioner
-Hairbrush
-Feminine hygiene products
-Hair bands
-Nail Clippers
-Razors
-Shaving Cream
-Soap
-Toothpaste
-Toothbrush
-Deodorant
-Floss
-Nail Polish
-Nail Polish Remover
-Q-tips/Cotton Balls
-Lotion
-hairbrush/comb
-contact stuff/glasses
-Itch Stick (bug bites)
-acne stuff
-lip balm
-hair dryer
-loofah
-Mouth wash
-neosporin
-perfume/cologne
-mirror
-vaseline

CLEANING STUFF

-Swifters and small hand held vacs
-Febreeze/air freshener
-Trash can
-Quarters for laundry
-Disinfectant spray/bleach
-Lint brush
-Stain remover (Tide pen)
-laundry bag
-laundry detergent
-paper towels
-broom/dustpan
-Lysol/Clorox wipes
-bucket
-Sewing kit

ELECTRONICS

-Laptop
-Refrigerator/Electric cooler (if permitted)
-Headphones/stereo/MP3 player
-speakers
-Camera
-Cell phone
-Chargers for iPod, cell phone, camera etc…
-Printer and refill cartridges (optional)
-Fan
-Extension cords, surge protectors etc…
-Ethernet/phone cords
-Extra computer battery
-Flashlight
-Web cam
-Jump/thumb drives
-blank CD’s
-DVDs
-alarm clock
-batteries
-bus bar
-light bulbs
-mouse pad
-calculator (graphing, scientific)

PAPER STUFF (SCHOOL SUPPLIES)

-Lots of sticky notes
-Pens, pencils, stationary supplies
-Paper clips
-Thumb tacks
-Stamps
-Shoeboxes (for projects)
-Printer Paper
-Notebook Paper
-Notebooks
-Tape
-Stapler
-Art Supplies
-Markers
-Scissors
-atlas
-day planner
-envelopes
-erasers
-folder
-foreign language dictionary
-highlighters
-manila envelopes
-sharpies
-pencil sharpener
-tape measure
-three hole punch
-calendar
-graph paper
-masking tape
-reading books
-book marks
-rubber bands

FOOD

-Microwave popcorn
-Pop tarts
-water
-Candy
-Silverware
-Gum
-granola bars
-mints
-Cereal
-powdered drink
-Tea bags/hot cocoa mix
-Non-refrigerated food- granola, fruit, nuts, chex mix, pretzels, etc…

FURNITURE & STORAGE

-crates
-Under-bed storage
-Over the door hook for towels etc…
-Plastic storage drawers
-Lots of hangers
-Stick on wall hooks
-Bed risers
-containers/storage
-A cushy chair
-Book case
-Seat cushion, extra pillows
-nightstand
-Full-length mirror
-posters
-poster goo
-Dry-erase board and markers
-Shoe rack or tree
-Desk lamp
-Extra lamps
-bulletin board
-desk chair
-drying rack
-folding chair
-Pictures of your friends, family, posters
-hanging jewelry organizer

BEDDING

-Things to soften your bed (i.e. tempurpedic cover)
-mattress
-Extra long sheets
-Comforter/duvet
-Stuffed animals
-Fleece Blanket
-Pillow
-Pillow Cases
-Blanket for sitting on outside/ground

CLOTHING

-slippers
-lounge wear/robe
-A lot of clean underwear
-Running shoes
-winter wear (mittens, hat, scarf)
-Snow boots (bean boots or similar)
-Uggs
-normal clothes
-Umbrella, raincoat
-duffel bag
-Backpack/Messenger Bag
-Extra socks
-sunglasses
-bathing suits
-swim goggles
-extra flip flops
-unique clothing items (spandex, costume pieces, bright patterns)
-accessories and jewelry
-pj’s
-rainboots
-tote bags
-sports apparel

MISC.

-Water bottles
-Locks for lockers (where applicable)
-Wrapping paper and bows
-Paperwork
-Playing cards
-sports balls and equipment
-bike, helmet, lock
-board games
-frisbee
-duct tape
-musical instrument/music books
-roller blades
-lanyard, key chain, wristlet
-eye glass repair kit
-yoga mat
-skateboard/scooter

*bike locks are very important
*Lanyard should be custom - not generic or school issue. It will help when it is lost and you can send a mass email that says, for example, has anyone seen a pink unicorn lanyard?

***Before you buy bedding, check with the school on bed size. The Hill School has REGULAR twins, not extra long.

@“nico.campbell” (notice how the link worked–just need to insert " between @ and the name, and also at the end of the name, no spaces)

You’ve got a mighty long list there! I would caution about taking too much stuff unless/until you know how much space you will have in your room. You may also want to check if the dorm already has some of these things which you can use such as the broom and dustpan (which you may not even need if your room has carpet). I’d refer first to the list published by your school, and then check with your dorm counselor/student leader (proctor/prefect etc.) before getting anything that takes up space which is not on the list and is not expressly prohibited. I think that at the beginning of the school year less is more, although it sure is fun to plan and shop :smiley:

Lots of boarding schools have a freshmen give-away, like boxes of hangers, tables, lamps and even bookcases left behind by the senior class. Keep that in mind. Also, rather than haul everything to school, plan to make a couple Target or Walmart runs for those items you can buy close to the school. Having 2 kids travel to boarding school and from east to west coast for college, its much easier to pack a couple suitcases and buy everything you need once there. Only bring the photos, and stuff you can’t buy, like your favorite pillow and blanket, picture of your dog, etc.

For perspective on how much to bring, I will tell you that our son took ONLY one large suitcase, one rollerbag and his backpack to BS every year, that’s it. He packed like he was going to grandma’s for two weeks, and he was absolutely fine. If you have a list as long as your arm, you need to think again. He didn’t know this in advance, but his freshman dorm room had one free-standing wardrobe that was not as wide as his armspan. It had ONE long drawer on the bottom and ONE open shelf on top. It also had one free-standing wooden two-drawer file-cabinet-like piece of furniture that he used for smaller clothing items. That was it for clothes storage. The room, of course, had a desk with drawers and a hutch for books and school supplies.

We shipped his bedding, hangars, desk lamp, instrument, and electronics a week ahead of time and picked up those two boxes from the mailroom when we arrived. We picked up a window fan, laundry supplies, and notebooks/pens/pencils, etc. locally.

We brought his winter clothing out with us when we came out for Parents Weekend and took back his summer stuff.

Try not to overpack; there isn’t a lot of room, and you can get all of your smaller/incidental things after you arrive. You can also order from Amazon or other online resources and have items shipped to the school ahead of time, but go easy on these things, too, until you have a sense of what you really need.

1 Like

To be fair to @“Nico.campbell” he was just consolidating the 66 pages of info. Since he’s a dude, I don’t think he’s packing feminine hygiene products. :slight_smile:

This was what I did as well. Of course when you’re moving in via plane as opposed to packing the SUV, less is more, as they say. As always, @ChoatieMom has some excellent tips in her post above.

LOL :)) @skieurope

Anybody have experience with what to do with dorm furniture over the summer? I am basically an international student (Sigh… 22 hour flights) and I know schools have some sort of storage arrangement… Are their alternatives/how was your experience with them… Or should I refrain from buying furniture (by furniture I mean maybe a chair/lamp/small storage things)…

Current plan for clothes is to take one filled bag and an empty bag to fill up once I get here :wink: (int. flights allow 2 bags)… Online shopping seems to be the way to go…

Most students who don’t live within driving distance will store things over the summer. The options will vary from school to school. A few seem to have space on campus. At others, you’ll have to use an outside company but the school makes that easy by contracting with a company to come to campus to pick things up on a certain day and return things in the fall. Usually there will be a cost involved. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You won’t be the only one needing it and the school won’t make you figure it out on your own.

Agree with @doschicos - storage. That’s what I did. If the school does not offer on-campus storage, one can often find a friend with whom to share the cost.

At least until you see the space. :slight_smile: I’m assuming you’d be buying it here anyway. But if you need it, get it.

And sometimes, if you are lucky, you have a friend that lives nearby and they can store stuff for you. We definitely had stuff in our garage and basement for a few students during the summer. :slight_smile:

@doschicos , I hadn’t thought of that. I am going to offer that to a far-away friend or two!

A good pair of boots for New Englands haha

What to pack:
Clorox wipes ( wipe down furniture, witches & door knobs) to prevent colds
Lysol spray
Hand sanitizer
Air pods
Phone Soap ( cell phone cleaner)
Step ladder for reaching your bunk or top shelf
Adjustable drawer dividers
Bed Shelfie - a shelf that attaches to your bunk
Desk lamp
Storage boxes for under the bed or desk
Shoe storage system
Extra power strip
A bucket to toss in dirty shoes, sandals, or cleats
Alcohol to rinse off you sports equipment ( mouth guard, goggles, helmet)
Tool kit - adjustable screw drivers
Extra package of command strips
A couple of large trash bags
Cup of Noodles

• Your sanity?

@Golfgr8 that list leaves those of us without sanities quite disadvantaged, don’t you think?

I’d be careful wiping witches. :wink:

1 Like