The University of Tampa Early Action/Rolling for Fall 2023 Admission

my dd received her acceptance a while ago so I started to research housing etc and I’ve read so many horror stories of students being told at the last minute that there is no housing for them. So many would withdraw their acceptance and have to find one of their other accepted colleges that still had room. I can’t operate this way.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, most of the horror stories are from those that either applied later during the process and/or didn’t fill out the housing application and put down the deposit. Housing is not guaranteed, not even for Freshman but they are prioritized. Admissions still says those that get everything done are still in pretty good shape for housing.

Tampa was my S22’s first choice for a long time. He was accepted a year ago Thanksgiving, but we decided not to allow him to commit because of the housing situation. No way was he ready to live in an off campus apartment in Tampa if housing didn’t pan out, and last year they made it clear that housing assignments wouldn’t come out until July. Walking away was a no brainer.

My son was accepted in November and they wouldn’t promise he would have housing even if we deposited immediately. It was July for everyone. They implied that the sooner you committed the more likely you were to get housing, but they would not promise. We weren’t prepared to risk it.

same. we’ve moved on to choices closer to home.

1 Like

We did everything correctly and on time two years ago and were told no housing (AFTER May 1). Honestly, the way they handled the situation was as bad as the situation. They just didn’t care. Parents simply decided to buy houses in Florida for kids to live in - not within my means/desires for my child and told me a lot about the privilege at the school. He wound up at a better place, but those few weeks of not knowing where he could go were horrible. Just a warning about the way the school is run.

1 Like

Sorry this happened to your son. My daughter also was accepted two years ago (and is now a sophomore at UTampa), but she did not receive the email that she may not get on campus housing. I think you are causing undue stress to those currently applying by bringing up what happened 2 years ago. For the class of 2026, Tampa accepted a much smaller class in order to avoid the housing issue that the class of 2025 had. Now, Tampa is VERY clear that on campus housing is not guaranteed, and that the sooner you get in your housing deposit/application (after acceptance), the more likely it will be that you are assigned on campus housing. The school definitely learned from the class of 2025 debacle.

1 Like

Just wondering if anyone who did not submit through the Fast Track application received an EA decision yet? I know the decision date is 1/15 but figured I would ask it looks like everyone with a decision was Fast Track.

Wondering if you application was Fast Track or normal EA? When did you apply and when did you receive the decision?

We were Fast Track and got deferred (letter said by March 31st)… still nothing, but we’ve moved on since my daughter got in the rest of her schools and committed to #1. Good luck!

1 Like

My son’s stats suggested he should have been accepted. Top of the mid 50% range. Visited twice and deferred to the March 31st as well. Accepted at 9 other schools and admitted to some honors, so I do not believe essays were the issue.

1 Like

With so many high stat students being deferred It looks like they are protecting yield. It seems like many with the higher stats never planned on attending anyway and UT has the data that shows this. It makes sense that they are prioritizing admissions for students with lower stats who are more likely to attend than students with higher stats who applied to UT as a safety and not likely to attend if offered admission. Just look at the number of posts in this thread and comments from those accepted with high stats who are not going to attend.

1 Like

Same with us! Tampa was #2 on my daughters list and had she been accepted after she applied Fast Track probably would’ve gone, as they had the 4+1 criminolgy track that she was very interested in. Her stats also showed she’d qualify for the highest merit. But once deferred to the next cycle and being accepted into all the other schools she didn’t want to wait until March. We read the thread from last year and many (not all) who were pushed from FT and EA were either rejected or admitted for Spring. And with housing (they told us on the tour in August they can’t guarantee even for freshman so deposit ASAP) we decided it was best to move on.

1 Like

An SAT in the mid 1200’s should not be considered a yield protect for Tampa.

1 Like

This is a huge deal at many schools all over the country right now. Totally agree that it needs to come into play when making a decision.

1 Like

It’s the big day. Decisions will be released today for the remaining Early Action applicants who have not already been given decisions by now.

Anyone know what time we should expect to be notified of our presumed^ denials?

^ To be clear if you were not notified yet it does not mean you weren’t accepted. However, given all of the acceptances issued there are fewer remaining seats for those not notified already, who clearly weren’t top choices for admission. Statistically that also means those not yet notified are more likely to be deferred (cough!!! presumably denied) to regular decision.

1 Like

Did you get a separate email regarding your decision for today? My son applied & todays the release date but we didn’t receive an email. Just seen on website & when we spoke to admissions.

We did not get an email put when I went on portal it said COngratulations you are in

We got an email!! He’s in!!! WOOHOO!!

4 Likes

My DD just logged in and she was admitted for Fall 2023 after being deferred from Fast Track! She is over the moon right now!

2 Likes