The Worst College Advice I've Ever Heard

Here’s the premise: If you’re applying to college, you should take the time to think through why you’re applying. In other words, what you think you want to study and do with your degree. Then, you should use that as an orienting principle for your application. That’s good for you strategically, as an applicant, and substantively, as a person.

If you honestly feel that premise only applies to 7 schools, then I’m doing an awful job articulating my position.

And here’s a different Admission Officer from Emory if Stanford seems like an outlier: "But while the student listed neuroscience as a major, ‘there is no example of neuro in the file’ in terms of activities or in the essays, the admissions officer said. She suggested that they move the application to the wait list, which would be a ‘softer landing’ than an outright denial.” The Wall Street Journal, “The Secrets of Elite College Admissions,” Jeff Selingo.

Students: My advice shouldn’t freak you out. It should empower you. Because I know it can be disorienting when you’re compiling your applications and writing your essays: What, exactly, should you be trying to convey? Colleges and counselors offer advice like this: “Just be yourself.” “They want to know who you are.” “Show them how you think.” “Try to figure out the traits that particular school is looking for and showcase them.” If those ideas help you, Hooaah!

But to me, those responses are too general to be helpful. And they all beg the question. I say you should feel empowered because I’m trying to boil down a complex process to offer one specific approach that’s based on logic you can follow:

Since you’re primarily applying to be a student in an Intellectual Community, it makes good sense to focus on highlighting your student-traits, your intellectual-traits. One of the best ways to do that? Talking about ideas you find important, challenging, and might want to study. In other words, not applying undecided, but having majors in mind.

Some seem to question that premise: “No, students are not primarily applying to be a student in an Intellectual Community.” I can’t imagine what is more primary. Going to class to earn a degree in a specific academic field is the heart of a university. And even when you’re out of the classroom, when you’re in the “community,” what do you think is the leading (note, leading, not only) quality a university wants? It’s intellectual. Schools want students engaging in lively intellectual discussions with classmates in the dorms, over lunch at the cafeteria, at coffee or office hours with professors.

Do all your essays turn into Why My Majors? Of course not. But if I’m offering you one (note, one, not only), rough-and-ready rule: Your essays should strive to showcase your student-qualities–how much you love reading, writing, thinking, etc.–and one of the easiest ways to do that . . . discussing and connecting (creatively!) to academic ideas you find interesting. That is, ideas you want to study.

Can you only have one interest? Of course not. It can work even better if you can discuss two fields. (That’s why the example in my opening post discussed philosophy and psychology.)

Are intellectual, student-traits all that matter? Of course not. But you better believe being smart is the cardinal admission virtue. Because college is primarily (note, primarily, not only) a place where you’re using and improving your mind.

This is just one take. If it helps you, great. If some other admission philosophy makes more sense to you, Hooaah! Every admission officer is different and cares about slightly different things. But in my experience, intellectual qualities and ideas you care about–that is, ideas you want to study–are always primary. And without sketching out my entire admission philosophy, I’m offering you what I think is your most helpful North Star.

–MCS
Students: I’ll be in the Student Forum for admission help: Admission Corner

9 Likes