This one baffles the mind!

<p>Along the same lines, it really irks me when kids (especially from out-of-state) come on here complaining about the lack of financial aid they are offered. They somehow feel that the tax payers owe them a 4-year degree at a top state university that is subsidized by the tax paying residents of the state. A 4-year college education is not a ‘right’, and is a privilege that should be earned. We have sacrificed and saved for our kids education. As a long-time tax-paying resident of CA, I would like to see the following changes:</p>

<p>1) No non-loan aid for out-of-state, out-of-country, or undocumented students. They must pay the full out-of-state tuition.
2) All recipients of non-loan (grant) aid must come in through the CC route. A minimum of 2 years in a CC and must meet the criteria for transfer admissions. Too much grant money is spent on students that drop out. This way raises the probability that the student’s education is ‘worthy’ of the tax-payers investment.
3) All recipients of non-loan aid must work a minimum of 10 volunteer hours a week for the university to help offset the cost of their grant.<br>
4) I don’t want to see any smart-phones with data plans, $3,000 mac laptops, or cars when students are receiving non-loan aid. I can’t afford these things for my kids because I have to pay their entire college costs.</p>

<p>I do support very low-interest, subsidized student loans. Students will appreciate the opportunity more, and probably work harder, when they have some skin in the game.</p>