Thoughts on December vs. May graduation?

Hello and happy holidays to all!

I’m a fourth-year chemical engineering student due to graduate in May 2017 (I did a co-op). I recently realized that, if I drop my minor, it is possible for me to graduate in December 2016 (my seventh semester of school). I’m having a hard time making up my mind, and probably won’t make a final decision for a few months at least. I’m just curious what anecdotes or thoughts folks here have about December graduation. Virtually everyone I know at UA has graduated or will graduate on the typical 4-year plan, and a very high percentage of those people are graduate school-bound, whereas I plan to enter the workforce.

I have scholarships to cover that last spring semester, so the only real financial incentive is getting to work a little bit sooner, and that assumes that I have a job right away. I’m really not sure how the December graduation might affect my job prospects. On the one hand, it sounds like it will just leave me with less time to find a position; but on the other hand, most of the serious recruiting seems to happen in the September-October timeframe anyway.

I’d appreciate hearing any success stories, horror stories, or advice about December graduation and job hunting, especially from anyone who is or knows an engineering grad who did it.

My computer science son recently graduated this December 12th after seven semesters (but in 3-1/2 years as he did not do a co-op). He still had one semester left on his Presidential/NMF scholarship so staying a extra semester would have not cost him much more. I encouraged him to stay, after all one has to work the rest of their lives after graduation. He was ready to go, basically because he had all his requirements out of the way and didn’t have any “fun” classes that he wanted to pick up for the last semester. He did have a job already by early October, and will start in mid-/February. I am not sure if this job would have been available if he waited until mid-May but my guess is it would have. This way, though, he has 2 months “break” before he starts. From a selfish point of view, a December graduation was easier for the family. Less graduates at this time of year, and since it wasn’t move-out for everyone too, Tuscaloosa wasn’t as crazy as it might be in May.

For you, you already “delayed” graduation by a co-op. Will most of your friends be graduating this May? If so, will you be okay staying on an entire year after them? You already have job experience so finding a job should be a lot easier than most no matter when you graduate (will you go full-time with your co-op?) Finally, do you live in an apartment? If so, what will happen to your lease for the 2nd semester (will you have to pay it, or will you be able to get out of it). My son was in the dorms so paying for NOT being in Tuscaloosa wasn’t a concern. Whatever you decide, good luck and roll tide!

I’ve encouraged my own to enjoy the full scope of what a college can offer. I view the college years as very special. Whereas you will have a life time to devote to working. If you have been having a positive college experience, I’d suggest staying.

If there is no financial or academic pressure in staying, I would stay.

I second the above poster - you have your whole life to work.

Yes, most of my close friends will be graduating this May. I know a handful of people who will still be around for the next year for various reasons, but it’s hard to say how I’m going to feel during that last year without my core group of friends. I’ve been away from campus for a while, so maybe when I return this spring I’ll feel more connected and I won’t be in a hurry to leave.

You’re hopefully right about the job search being easier because of my experience, but I’m still pretty nervous about it all. I have a good chance of getting an offer with my co-op employer, but nothing is guaranteed. In fact I still have to complete my third work term this summer. I also plan to explore other options, because the geographic locations for my employer are not my favorite.

Living situation–I’ll be one of the last people on campus with the old NMF housing scholarship. Logistically that means I don’t have to worry about breaking a lease or subleasing; financially it means that the cost of staying the spring '17 semester is basically 0; socially it means I’ll likely be living with random underclassmen for one or two semesters.

^My NMF senior son was placed with the RM this year and had a freshman, sophomore and junior in his room (he didn’t have a choice, they just moved him.) It all worked out. Next year there is a limit where upperclassman can live. Please take a look at the email you probably received. I do not know if there would be an option, but I do know in the past several people with the housing scholarship ended up choosing to live in a single, and just pay the $500 more per semester. Definitely plan to stay on campus as this does give you the option to stay one semester if you so choose. Check the registrar’s date for the last day to apply for graduation for December. After you are on campus in Fall for a couple of weeks, you might have a better idea if you want to stay for the second semester or not.

Years ago I had a very similar choice before me. My engineering advisor said graduating in Dec would limit my job prospects and wouldn’t benefit me at all. I took 11 hours my last semester and it was awesome!! I also got my best job offer in March/April…