Thoughts on Economics or Agribusiness Major?

My son has been admitted, but he did not get into Mays. He was given what he had put down for his second choice major, communications. He is thinking of trying to switch to either economics or agribusiness, and I am hoping to get some thoughts from any of you who might have any thoughts on or experience with either of those majors, or with the communications major at TAMU.

As far as Economics is concerned, he can always start in communications, take an intro course in Economics, to see if he likes it and then change majors.

@texasjayhawk What does he want to do long term?

He should have a fairly strong idea as to whether or not agribusiness is an interest that his wishes to pursue.

@jenniferaggie91, he does not know what he wants to do. He had decided to start with business, since it would be of benefit for many jobs.

Agribusiness is a very profitable major. It does require some science knowledge that economics doesn’t, whereas economics will require more math.

You can take business courses, they are separate from the ones that business majors take and potentially get a minor in business (do not declare that until he is sure - there is NO changing back). Communications will be more in the realm of marketing/HR, where economics is closer to finance/management. AgBus has all the same basic courses but geared to Agriculture and is a specialty niche.

High GPA will be a plus if he is looking to eventually move to Mays, there are 100 openings in Mays so don’t panic. The pre-req courses do catch several who are not prepared for the rigors of higher level math & analysis so they find another interest & jump ship after the first year. You must complete the pre-req list to internally transfer-- on the plus side they have significantly reduced that list from previous years (it use to be 30 units, now just 12).

However, you do need to be aware of the total unit counts – don’t accept AP credit that might blow your chances. NEVER accept AP units without getting advice, it is a non-reversible act even if you did it in error— you can accept AP credits until your senior year at TAMU, there is NO rush. You must meet GPA requirements to transfer to Mays too.

Here’s the link (he’d be #3) http://mays.tamu.edu/undergraduate-enrollment-plan-2016-2017/

Thank you, Agmomx2. That is a good link to consider, and I will share it with him My oldest is a junior in Mays, but he was an academic admit and was able to go straight in, so we didn’t have to worry about any of this!

@AGmomx2 Is sending over your AP scores from College Board the same as accepting the AP credit? Also, my son’s school adds the AP test scores on their transcripts. Is that normal?

No, sending scores is not the same as accepting them. Many schools add AP scores to transcripts, that isn’t unusual. Your student should seek advice from an advisor in their major before accepting credit however, it is online in their howdy portals.

Thank you!