Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

i don’t think a 1560 vs 1580 demonstrates any effect. think about it that’s one question right on the SAT.

2 Likes

NP… glad to be of helpful.

Maybe as SAT 1560 is equivalent to 35 ACT and 1580 is equivalent to 36 ACT so sure it may make difference.

There are other crucial factors too (which supersedes them IMO).

ORM, Location, Race, Need based, Diversity, Essays, GPA, Volunteering (here there is 100s of differences on types) etc.,

My point is simple (I can use my D and a student I worked with w.r.t UMKC as an example), you have to strategize to the best of your ability based on those factors and rest leave it (God/Luck/whatever).

Here i believe we got odds stacked against OOS (from local, regional). There are similar BS/MD in NM, IL, AL etc., (that prioritizes locals )

To Summarize : (IMO)
34-36 , 1540-1580+ and good essays, interviews are very important (lots of people miss the last 2 and it’s good to take help in those 2)

1 Like

no nothing yet

nothing

yet*

Which state did you apply from for case?

Could you tell me what state are you from?

What state are you from

Short answer: Scores do matter.

Long answer:

To give some historical perspective:
About 11-12 years ago, 1500 SAT /31 ACT was considered a safe floor. The competition was not as intense as now, and good essays could land you an interview.

About 5 years back, I believe the floor moved up to about 1540 SAT/ 33 ACT (though outliers with lower scores did get interviews).

I believe now the floor is 1560 SAT/ 34 ACT.
Yes, folks with lower stats may get interviews but they now appear to be outliers.
At some places (eg Penn State/Jeff this year), even valedictorians with near-full SAT scores were not invited for interviews.

This brings to other parts which are important to GET an interview:

• your overall application, especially your essays

• your LOR
    (things you control/influence)

• A college’s mandate for the class mix

• the reader reviewing your application

• College’s need to manage their yield

• number of students applying from your school

• And your luck

The BS/MD application process is stressful and unpredictable.
But one thing every applicant must remember - this does not change who you are, your capabilities, your intelligence, your passions and how you will succeed in life.

9 Likes

But, on a positive note, you need just one program to say yes :smiley:

9 Likes

Precisely!

2 Likes

what is the floor for reputed bs/do programs such as Rowan, PCOM?

Is it also getting very competitive?

very well said!

My D has similar profile

GPA:3.99(UW) ; 4.76(W)
SAT:1550(1560 super score)
class rank is about 3 out of 80.
Ap 8s so far.

Medical EC:
shadowing
volunteer health
clinical research

other EC:
Dance for 8 years
REd cross chapter -president
president of school MUN club
VP of another non profic organization
HOSA 2 awards

With this profile we only applied 7 BS/MD programs and DO.
we got only NYIT DO so far, with no interviews so far we would like go for NYIT DO option .One clarification required where do we mentioned no of hours is it in resume ?

4 Likes

Are there counselors available to suggest us which college to pick and give us some advise

It’s very good TBH.

It’s not the # of colleges we apply its also where we apply is equally important (as I said some colleges sadly has different preferences like TX, AL etc.,)

Number of hours are good to be listed in the resume (that’s what i tell folks)

Good luck… there is still time …you are not out …

1 Like

Congrats @S2022Senior
@NoviceDad : Is it a good time to create BSMD 2022 Results thread? I recall there were 2-3 postings before saying that they do not have any more BSMDs waiting for. Thank you.

1 Like

Your daughter’s profile seems to be really good. I will be surprised if SAT score is the reason why she did not get the interviews. As someone above mentioned it could also be the programs that she applied and their requirements/mission was not matching with hers or some other reasons.

2 Likes

you said you received the rowan supplement tho right? also what state are you from?

We create the RESULTS thread around March.
Otherwise, it gets mixed up with discussions.
It is better to keep it just focused on results.

2 Likes