Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

With no knowledge of which 7 programs she applied to, it is difficult to say that your score was the reason for no interviews.

Many programs have very low yields - take Rice/Baylor as an example - they called 16 (down from earlier 25 students) for interviews among 1700 applicants. That is less than a 1 percent chance of getting an interview. It may be you did everything right and may still not get an interview.

As a comparison, about 6 years back, Rice/Baylor had received over 750 applications and Baylor called 25 for interviews. That was over a 3% chance.

Also, a Question - how confident you are about her LORs?

Our students with GPA>=3.5 and SAT>1380 have been able to obtain interviews for BS/DO programs.
Rowan has very less seats and the floor for it may be higher.
PCOM - a lot of affiliated programs once guarantee an interview.

1 Like

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: DM me.

1 Like

Hey @NoviceDad can i pm you? I also need help in picking the right program for myself

yes

it says your public profile is hidden and doesn’t show me an option to dm

Yes that one and SUNY still pending.

what’s ur feeder for suny? did you receive an interview yet?

Exactly my point.

TX colleges (no offense intend) is more and more competitive (though they are good) and more locals, so if you are in NJ/NY/PA it’s almost a gamble (out).

Same can be said about NJ/NY colleges for folks from TX too 
 :smile:

This is where the difference in analysis(college selection) helps.

We are from NJ and applied all NJ/NY/pA.we have to understand all her friends might have similar profile with ± 10 SAT.

what’s ur feeder for suny? did you receive an interview yet?

I guessed it
 so without knowing other details
 it may explain why.

Colleges/Classes needs to be diversified by everything (state, city, schools, need/paid, others) so it’s NOT score alone.

As far as DO choices
 you have to really talk with your kid on whether he/she wants it or take the traditional route (i.e. BS with MD after 4 years).

There are lots of traditional BS colleges which can push it to MD too
 (Seton Hall - NJ to many more).

Again research or work with someone who can guide.

FYI, both options are good
 one of my student loved DO (felt less stress) but my own daughter (don’t want DO
 no idea why)

Your kid will be successful in whatever they choose (they have come so far to compete which is good to begin with)

Good luck

i think i personally prefer MD over DO because I don’t really trust OMM. Multiple studies have proven that Osteopathic maneuver is ineffective

I sent you a DM

OMM is just 1 component of DO.
Not the only one.

DOs are still doctors who can compete for any medical residency.

True , i heard that too

We had topic before on this too
 but few prefer DO (as they want to do pediatric/family practice and find it easy than MD to get in).

Anyway there are multiple ways. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I mean that’s the big difference right. another is the fact that MD’s get more clinical training as they are not spending the time learning OMM. MD’s are also more susceptible to working internationally. (even though DO’s are getting slowly)

Penn State/ Jeff is now problematic for PA residents.
They select 90% of BS/MD students from OOS.

Pitt also has a similar OOS bias. Pitt is also notorious for not being helpful to local students to get research opportunities and places high weight on applicants with research experience.

I tell my students from PA that you are screwed from all sides - your in-state colleges prefer OOS students while many OOS colleges have preference/bias for their in-state students.

IMO, as i tell folks
 the BSMD is stressful process and time consuming from analysis to custom fit/tailor to need based on city, region, weather, sports (believe me kids make choice on that too).

Nothing is lost 
 it’s just a long battle and the kids learn it (hard way) and be successful as they can use all these lessons in “traditional MD” (or DO)

I understand stress that a Kid can go thru this forum (and that’s why I do it instead of my D) :innocent:

1 Like

A DO student once told me that the average hours spent by DO students training for OMM is about 200.
That does not seem to be a lot.

NOTE: n=1 here.