Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@pakoo IMO, one should try regular route MD first before going for a DO program. Regular route MD admits 95% of all medical school students. One can always opt for a DO school later if necessary. Some students in my D’s HS did opt for BS/DO’s like NYIT/PCOM, but most attended regular UG schools.

IMO, you need to pick about 10 BS/DO programs and check admission reqs against your C’s stats (GPA, scores etc). Then you would know whether your C is on par or too way above the BS/DO reqs or not.
In addition, I suggest exploring BSMD Results thread for 2021 and a couple of previous years to see candidate’s posted profiles and look at their BS/DO success rates. Not everyone applied to BS/DO programs but some did.
Once you complete the above two things, you by yourself will get an idea of whether BS/DO programs are the right fit for your C.
Unfortunately, due to cutthroat competition, candidates with even perfect or near-perfect scores, sometimes won’t secure a seat in BS/MD after applying for a dozen+ programs. Apply widely. Nearly 95% of MD seats are filled in through the traditional route. Good luck.

Does doing research, summer program, etc with NJMS help with getting into NJMS programs?

@BrownPLME - no, there are no previous patterns to prove this. bsmd admissions are competitive and it depends on the candidate pool.

I have heard some people saying NJ in-state students have some preference but nothing to prove this either!

2 Likes

Where did I blame others for one’s weakness?
Did I bring your D into the picture that you are bringing mine?

You have every right to disagree with my opinion and put out yours.
But bringing in family members is frankly uncalled for.

BTW - My D had acceptances from 4 BS/MD programs and she withdrew from one during the interview stage.

1 Like

Hey guys! I know I’m just your regular CC member but I really would appreciate if we could stop any messages which could be interpreted as rude. Please acknowledge the person who you reply to and understand their viewpoint, try to use polite language, and refrain from mentioning anything unrelated to BS/MD Programs. Thank you! :slight_smile:

@NoviceDad
You had posted your D’s BSMD journey in BSMD results thread (IIRC, year 2017-2018) and mentioned she did not get selected in Temple/Temple BSMD. It was mentioned as an example of Temple/Temple BSMD selection process. Nothing personal here just an example from your own post in CC.
If some one does not get selected in a BSMD medical interview, it is their weakness not something to blame on the interviewers/BSMD selection process, IMO. Where was it attributed to you ?

@LightMXD, Have you read CC policy ? One should adhere to that policy. One can not tell other users what can or can not be posted as a user of the platform.

Could you just not make everything you sound so condescending?

Also, that statement was just a reminder. There are some people who genuinely are interested in applying to BS/MD Programs and the direction of the discussion you were having was leading to personal levels (like why did you even mention @NoviceDad’s D? - rude and unnecessary).

If you want to help people by providing them information, please do so politely. If you want to learn, then please read and refrain from being toxic to those who may be helping you. This is a discussion forum so we can all learn.

P.S. Please link me your source for CC Policy since I don’t believe CC would also want someone to be rude in their forums.

3 Likes

Hey @NoviceDad! I have a private question and since you seem a bit experienced with BS/MD Programs, I was hoping if you would know… Could you PM me since I’m slightly new to CC and don’t know how to send you a message. Thank you! :slight_smile:

@LightMXD
If you have read my posts in CC, you should have noticed , I am not a newbee like you. When @NoviceDad’s D applied to BSMD, I was already active here. She applied to Temple BSMD and was not selected and this was an example of Temple BSMD’s selection process. He even posted about it on CC. Please do not post anything against the policy.

Someone please teach me how to mute this person. I’m just here to learn.

Here is a little info about medical school programs - BSMD and regular MD

BSMD programs represent only 5% of all US medical seats and one if selected in a BSMD still has no guaranteed admission to medical school. There are a lot of preconditions to be fulfilled before one can matriculate to the medical school.
The preconditions may include sGPA, cGPA requirements (s = PCMB, physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology), c- cumulative), minimum MCAT score, some cases an interview with medical school.
Those who meet all these preconditions, then apply to the medical school via AMCAS.
Those who are unlucky to get a BSMD seat, have to apply via regular route during or after UG. The regular route fills 95% of US medical school seats. Usually medical schools pre-screen applicants based on UG GPA and MCAT score, One has to fill out secondary application for medical schools. If you get an interview invitation from a medical school, you are usually interviewed by two interviewers(2 MDs or 1 PhD/1 MD). After interview one waits for the result from the medical school.
P.S - The ranking of medical schools mean a little if one does not want to go into academic medicine( do a combined MD/PhD).

Read all previous years posts on BSMD thread. You will learn a lot.

FYI, The point of care Ultrasound (Butterfly Ultrasound) is latest innovation available to incoming MS1 students at Temple LKSOM. Only medical school to do so in East Coast. Each one of approximately 220 MS1 has been gifted an individual point-of-care ultrasound costing around $ 2000 each. Retail price is much higher.

Does anyone know of any student profiles for individuals who applied or were accepted to Wayne State Med Direct BS/MD? I can only find @GoldenRock 's C who applied to Wayne but declined interview.

I also have some questions about the program:

• Currently, I know applicants have to ED, but can they later decline interview and therefore break the contract? Goldenrock’s C applied years ago, and they declined interview, but I’m not sure if the ED commitment existed then.
  • The program focuses on health disparities and socioeconomic disadvantage. If an applicant is not disadvantaged, should they still apply if they have a passion for health disparities? Or is it not worth it?
  • The program seems to only matriculate 1 OOS person (2 people max) yearly. Does anyone have any stats on how many people are interviewed and selected and of these, how many are OOS?
  • Does anyone have the average stats (gpa/testing/healthcare hours) for individuals who are accepted into the program?

I have a question regarding my course schedule for junior year. I take dual enrollment courses at a community college (2 courses per semester) and I already took AP English Lang and APUSH there (they’ll be articulated onto my high school transcript). I’m only taking 2 APs at school - Bio and Calc AB. Since I’m doing dual enrollment, I only have 5 classes at my high school. Should I add AP Physics to my high school course schedule to add rigor? Thanks in advance! This forum has been really helpful for me.

IMO, AP Physics at Junior is OK to take. I assume it’s AP Physics 1 that you planning to take. My DC took it as part of 9th-grade course work, it was an uphill battle at that time. But taking it in Junior year I believe is OK.
Some BSMD programs require 1-year Physics as part of their Minimum Required Secondary School Course Requirements. BU’s SMED is one of them:
https://www.bu.edu/admissions/apply/first-year/accelerated-medical-requirements/

@ghermione
IMO, your should have completed Physics, Chemistry, Biology (AP or Honors Level) at your HS by the end of junior year. Some students take Calculus AB or Calculus BC in senior year. Can you handle 8 courses( 6 at HS +2 dual Enrollment) ?. Do not you have to take 3 years of a foreign language in HS in NJ ?

@BrownPLME
Do not recall anyone in recent years going for Wayne State Medicine Direct on CC. It may be because of the ED requirement. Brown PLME is surely a better option for ED.