Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@BrownPLME
where did you see Wayne State Med Direct BS/MD requires interview for BSMD applicants? If I am not wrong, it’s one of BSMD that doesn’t require interview for admission in to program.

We all know that, because of the extremely lower acceptance, and cutthroat competitive nature of BS/MD programs one may be rejected by a low ranked BSMD program and accepted by a higher-ranked one or vice versa.
What kind of selection process we are talking about in this case? All we look for is at least one acceptance. Anything extra has been taken as a bonus.
It’s looking ill-starred to see you use a kid as an example for Temple BSMD admission process rejection. Temple’s BSMD is a good program, you could have used some other means to showcase Temple’s BSMD program admission process & acceptance stats, to educate and benefit others in this group.

@cheer201
Yes, one only needs one acceptance for BSMD. BSMD process is very unpredictable. My D was accepted and NoviceDad’s D was not in Temple BSMD. It illustrates this point.
The medical school ranking means very little for those who are not going for academic medicine (MD/PhD). This is almost accepted fact amongst practicing MDs.
The distinction between MD and DO will slowly fade away.

Before you compare even your two kids, ask yourself these questions…
Does kid1 and other kid2 study for the same duration of time?
Do they both remain focused for the same duration during their study time?
Do they study in the same kind of environment, whether conducive or not?
Do they attend the same school?
Are they being taught by the same teacher?
Do they learn in the same way?
Do they understand things in the same way?
Do they have the same likeness and passion for that subject?
Do they get same amount of adequate rest after school?
Are they fed in the same way and with the same quality of food?
Now unless your answer to these kind of questions are a “yes” all the way, then every comparison will be totally unfair. It is that simple, if you ask me.

If they go through life in the same way, but produce different outcomes, then the comparison will be fair, but not to discuss in the public forums like CC. But if they go through life differently, it makes no sense to expect the same outcome from both children. Rather than comparing childs, I would applause their strengths (acceptances). Now I see the reason why you did not post in the results thread for 2017 forum, or did I oversee it?

@cheer2021
You are just over analyzing simple point that outcomes in BSMD admission are unpredictable. Every one has different strategies and goals when applying to colleges.

You are saying BSMD admission are unpredictable and said time you were comparing two kids acceptances/rejections, those were unpredictable by your own first definition. |LOL|. If you stop comparing kids, then overanalyzing or even analyzing wasn’t needed at all.

@cheer2021 The point is no one knows who will be selected in which program. One gets selected in one and other does not get in the same. But both can get into two different programs

Agreed. Stick to the point, and please stop comparing kids. Simple.

2 Likes

@cheer2021
There is no algorithm which can predict outcomes or probability of success in BSMD admission for any one so what are you talking about.
Giving an example that A got into Stoney Brook BSMD and B did not, from available public information is just stating the facts. There is no comparison done here between A and B.

Thanks for not sharing the facts especially comparing my kid Vs x. You again brought up my kid for no reason. We all here to learn and educate each other. Conversation between two people won’t be interesting.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! Yes, it is Physics 1 that I’m considering. I took physics in 9th grade (non-honors). But I didn’t have the chance to take a rigorous physics course, so that’s the main reason I’m considering taking AP Physics.

Thanks for your response. I took physics in 9th grade (non-honors/super easy). But I didn’t have the chance to take a rigorous physics course, so that’s the main reason I’m considering taking AP Physics. I have been taking 7 classes at school and 2 dual enrollment courses throughout 9th grade and 10th grade. But, I only had 1 AP in 10th. I’m not in NJ, but I do plan on taking 4 years of a foreign language (already part of my schedule this year).

Lol he did that to someone else earlier though I don’t know why. Best to ignore I guess.

Anywho, I’m in a similar boat as you since I’m also doing a dual enrollment program and what I have come to find is that sometimes there are AP or Honors courses offered through the HS you attend which can also be dual enrollment. That can be really helpful to take challenging courses while also meeting the requirements of an Associate’s Degree (if that is what you are pursuing in HS). That is at least how I am maintaining rigorous classes while also getting a lot of dual enrollment credits, so hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!! I know that UMKC, Boston University, and Brown superscore

2 Likes

@LightMXD Dual Enrollment credits are fine as long as you can get ‘A’ grade.
When you submit your application to AMCAS ( both BSMD/regular route), you have to submit official transcripts from all college level courses taken during high school (includes community college credits). AMCAS uses all these credits to compute sGPA and cGPA which is reported to all medical schools one applies. All your dual credits can not be used as college credits when you enroll in a UG school. It depends on the school.

@ghermione Check with the BSMD programs which you intend to apply whether your 9th grade physics will be sufficient. D took only Honors Physics course offered in her high school (no AP Physics offered). D took four years of Spanish in HS.

1 Like

Sent you a DM

1 Like

What is the average or expected number of classes (including dual enrollment) that your high school requires?

Wayne State:

1. From my understanding, the binding nature of ED only kicks in after you get an acceptance.
    Withdrawing at interview stage implies no acceptance from the college.

2. You can apply - you will need to demonstrate your commitment to disadvantage areas during your application/ interview.

3. No idea

4. Reach out to them and ask.

1 Like

22 courses (66.5 credits) – for an associate degree