Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Any one has heard anything from W and J BA MD ? i did my interview with w and J. No word yet from Temple

Who creates the group

I don’t even think they had any round … ONLY in March.( Someone please correct me)

They have announced all the UG , Scholarships etc., so far per their meetings.

@futurebs_md12323
UpState said “No. Because seats in each entering class are limited (160 students a year) and of those, a specific number of seats are held in advance for early assurance students, we must require you to come the year you were accepted. If students graduate early, they are welcome to take a gap year prior to their anticipated matriculation year.”
If at all you graduate in 3 years or less (UG part), I think you have these options:

1. Check with your feeder college in advance if there is fast track MS or MBA program. You can explore this option if you would like to hang on campus in the 4th year, and are interested in a Graduate degree.
  2. You can double major and extend UG term to 4 years.
  3. Go and work somewhere in the gap year. Either internships or full-time work/research.
  4. If you are interested in certain residency areas, then you target to achieve some volunteer/research/internship experience in those areas.
  5. AAMC published a list of what to do during a GAP year.
    Good luck.
    Upstate Accelerated Scholars FAQs | Norton College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
    What to do during a gap year(s) | Students & Residents
2 Likes

I believe one of the current Penn/Jeff PMM students would be responsible. This was the case during the past two years.

@somcpharm, @rkandala11, @kaj2017

BU smed or Penn/Jeff PMM

• Both are 7-year programs. so time-wise no difference
  • Location-wise Boston is better than state college during UG. Philly and Boston are both great for MD school.
  • Cost-wise PMM is better.
  • Ranking – As per usnews BU has better rank for both UG and MD. Other ranking websites had both as mid-tier MD school. PSU is a big ten school and research powerhouse. So, academically both UG and MD should be solid for both BU and Penn/Jeff
  • Graduation requirement is very similar for both BU smed and Penn/Jeff (give or take)

BU

Location – Boston for both UG and MD
Cost – approx. 670K (including summer course)
Mandatory summer course requirement
Graduation to Med School:
3.50 GPA, overall and in the sciences, to be eligible for promotion to the next semester and ultimately to the medical school
80% on MCAT - approx. 511

PMM

Location – State College for UG and Philly for MD
Total Cost of attendance – 450K to 500K (depending on 2, 2.5 or 3 years in UG)
No summer course requirement
Graduation
3.5 GPA
MCAT - A composite score of 509 or more; • A minimum of 127 in each of these three subsections: Chemistry & Physical Foundations of Biological Systems, Biological & Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, and Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior; • A minimum of 126 in the CARS subsection

1 Like

Thank you for information!!
Some corrections though- BU announced this year in the information session that their GPA has increased to 3.5
Also PMM increased their MCAT requirements to 509(126 remains in cars but 127 in the rest).
I also heard TCNJ will be starting minimum MCAT requirements and students will not be allowed to leave before 3 years at TCNJ. (Not sure how true it is).

1 Like

@mygrad2021 - It’s been a while since we saw you. I remember your daughter joined the Hofstra BS/MD. Hope she likes the program and is doing well?

1 Like

Thanks - Look like, Penn/Jeff requirement for MCAT was only 504 in 2020 and increased to 508 in 2021 and 509 in 2022. Seems fast since it has not changed for a number of years in the past!

I heard in the past that 3.2 GPA for BU was not very easy to achieve. So, 3.5 might be a little harder

I assume the MCAT scores of 509 or 511 are not hard to achieve since most traditional route students aim for 515-525

Thanks for asking! Yes she is doing good and likes the program

1 Like

My guess - undergrad colleges like to reserve a National merit scholarship $$$ for bright students looking for undergrad admission.

BS/MD programs are ultra-competitive and colleges that have strong undergrad colleges have no incentive to give merit scholarships to bsmd candidates

There will be a lot of very bright students willing to join BS/MD programs without merit scholarships. Students usually get into 1-2 programs and do not have a lot of choice.

Some students in the past choose their in-state bsmd over private college bsmd. There is no rule that students follow. it depends on their individual preference!

1 Like

Sounds great :slight_smile: Best wishes to her for her future!

Congrats!

1 Like

@cheer2021 - thanks for sharing the list and the link/s

1 Like

Heard about the same as @cheer2021, but if you are at a feeder school that has 7yr option that’s also a choice. I believe Syracuse and ESF both have that option.

Has anyone from February interview batch heard back from Upstate yet?

I heard from somebody that Case Will send out more interviews maybe end of this month or beginning of next month Incase anybody was on alternate list.

2 Likes

I just contacted them and apparently they said the interview requests were sent out a few weeks ago but when I asked them over this weekend’s virtual events, they said more requests will be sent out so now im confused

when did you interview?

I was told by 2 people (who attended the virtual events) who were told, invites will be sent out by Hofstra only in coming days… now I am confused :slight_smile: LOL