Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

For those unfamiliar with MCAT, it is a tough exam and not easy to crack.
Here is the latest score distribution. A MCAT score 515 represents a 90% rank. There are other BSMD programs with lower MCAT requirements like Penn State/Thomas Jefferson (505) and Temple/Temple BSMD (509)

Looks like Mercer University also offering BS MD program for state students
https://medicine.mercer.edu/admissions/doctor-of-medicine/alternate-path/special-consideration-program/

University of Colorado also offering BS MD for state students
https://clas.ucdenver.edu/health-professions-programs/babs-md-program-information

deleted

Can anybody share the most up-to-date list of BSMD and BSDO programs? I know some programs are closing while others are opening. Anybody can share the most recent list?
Thank you!

Question

I heard Upstate has a bias towards NY in-state students while PennState and Pitt select 90% out of state students.
Is this true?

As a PA resident, it looks like we are getting hit badly from both in-state and out-of-state colleges.

Yes, Upstate does have in-state preference (this is what they told me). Not sure about PennState and Pitt…

1 Like

Does anyone know the deadline for the FAU program? I couldn’t find anything on the website.

You may reach out to the contact email they listed in their website.

Yup I already have, no response yet

You may call the undergrad admissions office inquiring about the FAU BSMD deadline dates. For the Fall 2021 admission cycle, I recall FAU had 1/8/2021 as the deadline initially, later they pushed a week due to a technical glitch while candidates submitting the BSMD application over their website below. That’s why you see Jan 15th, 2021 as the BSMD application closing date on their website for the Fall 2021 admission cycle. IMO, these dates will change when FAU refreshes this webpage for the Fall 2022 admission cycle. Alternately you can reach out to their phone line listed in the BSMD program expectations reqs pdf document below, regarding the deadline. Good luck.

http://med.fau.edu/admissions/BSMD%20Program%20Expectations%20and%20Requirements.pdf

Ok, thank you!

Many states do not have BSMD with their in-state public university.
examples - ME, VT, RI, MA, CA. On the other hand PA has three instate BSMDs - so, atleast you get in-state tution in PA for in-state students!

BSMDs are very competitive. Many are open to all (in as well as out of state) students with no in-state preference such as UPitt, Penn State, Stony Brook etc.
Some (Illinois, Minnesota, Texas etc.) are open to only in state students.

Some others (UConn, Upstate?) are open to all but give in-state preference.

BSMDs with private universities (BU, UofR, Brown, CWRU, Rice/Baylor etc.) do not have any preference for in/out of state students.

I request you to focus on your applications and do your best. Hope you get into one or more programs!

1 Like

Yes, that is true.
Last year, PennState had only 3 in-state students vs 23 out-of-state.
Pitt traditionally has had 1-3 in-state students out of their cohort of 12-17 students.
I heard 40%-60% Instate - Out-of-State ratio for Pitt last year.

FYI, The two PA’s BSMD programs have a very little difference in Medical School tuition for instate vs Out-of-state(Temple and University of Pittsburg). This is because the state assistance per student is not very significant. PSU/Thomas Jefferson BSMD is a different case.

@grtd2010 - Interesting! good to know

Here is COA for UPItts.

Does RU-NK’s program require a certain score on the mcat? An AO mentioned that one must get a 515 mcat while .in the program, but I thought all njms programs don’t have a minimum

According to below info posted on 7 yr bsmd programs, No min MCAT required for matriculation to NJMS (from RU or NJIT).

@grtd2010 - Yes, I agree. I did some checking by doing a quick search for a few SOM websites and found similar results.

I checked three in-state public PA medical schools and the total cost of attendance for all these was in the same ball park for both instate and out of state students.

However, in the neighboring states, the instate public university SOM tution was significantly different for instate vs. out of state students when compared to the PA ones. A couple of examples are -

In Rutgers, NJ tuition itself was: $43,995 (in-state) and : $67,885 (out-of-state) with another 25,000 approximately for other expenses.
In Stony Brook, NY, the total cost of attendance turned out to be $66,737 (in-state) and : $89837 (out-of-state).