Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@gary2022 (+1 to @Vicky2019 and @cheer2021 )

Don’t lose hope… people do remove them from the waitlist.

It will happen from 1st of April or so.

I know folks who have already shortlisted ,including my D(and ready to withdraw) from few colleges starting next week (some of them interviewed and some of them are in waitlist) from colleges so let’s hope.

Good luck.

2 Likes

My daughter wants to apply for BSMD program. She got 1550 in SAT. Does she need to take the test again?

Yesss!!! Called it from Day 1!!!

Dub City!!!

I personally believe she should be fine with 1550. She should focus more on her ECs now and other components that play into the holistic review. Any school that wouldn’t consider her with a 1550 wouldn’t either even with a 1600.

1 Like

She should also remember to apply broadly

We didn’t have any error.

Answered this as part of earlier response (link below). Yes it is perhaps the most academically rigorous of all the BS/MD programs out there, and for a good reason. To hone up the students to live up to the rigors of medical school later and also since it is accelerated. But not forbiddingly difficult.

By the way don’t think the GPA requirement for BU SMED is not 3.5 as in other places. Lower.

The competitive landscape changes by the year. No guarantees that someone with similar credentials as the one who made it to certain med school or residency or fellowship in previous year can repeat the same the following year. 7-8 years is ages ago to quote from. As a matter of fact a decade ago, the concept of having to take gap year(s) after undergrad to get into medical school was unheard of. Just to put things in perspective.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

I spoke with somebody in the program currently. BU new GPA requirements is 3.5
The student did say that it will be hard but if one stays focus, it’s doable. Need good studying habits etc but it will be a challenge in the first year. Plus now with the new HUB requirements, many students are finding it hard to tackle science classes and HUB classes together so they are doing it over the summer. Basically, what that means is now you are paying for summer after first year and the mandatory summer after second year.
Also, now most of the BU students are taking a gap after third year of med school. This specific student said many of them are doing research and than will go back and finish 4th year.

Are BU SMED students taking a gap year after the 3rd year of medical school or BUSM students who followed the traditional path? Doesn’t taking that extra gap year defeat the whole purpose of the accelerated 7 years of the program?

2 Likes

Interesting. Don’t know enough about HUB requirements so can’t comment on it. But the concept of doing summer courses is not new. Students in previous years used to satisfy the humanities/liberal arts requirements in the summer after 1st year either in local community college at their own place (costing almost nothing financially) or on campus itself at half price (summer courses). Another option, students who are strong academically were also allowed to do “overloading” in sophomore year, i.e. taking more than the minimum required course load per semester for the same semester fees.

Not sure if they got more stricter now with community college credits. You need to check.

Also as mentioned earlier, and if not clear, every summer semester consists of 2 sessions, summer 1 and summer 2 of around 6 weeks each. The mandatory course during summer of sophomore year is only meant for summer 1.

Yeah, taking gap years during medical school is also more prevalent in general now a days and unheard of few years back. Again as mentioned above, the competitive landscape is changing by the year. It is good in a way that the program is accelerated, so the year saved can be spent in medical school gap year without feeling losing time and strengthening one’s background.

1 Like

Yes. SMED students taking a gap year after 3rd year of med school. I was also as shocked to hear about it. The person I spoke with , is also a SMED student

https://medschool.vcu.edu/education/md-program/match-day-2022/match-list/

Same question was asked by another “unnamed” poster…

Should i take 6/7 Years than traditional 4+4 (8 years)

IMO, i will not narrow done to a college because it’s short duration…

Just because it’s 6/7 doesn’t mean it’s ONLY 6 years … IMO it means you are studying more in 6 years what traditionally folks do ( means more summer course, less holiday times).

Not many students will be mentally prepared for it (they get burned out and may lose interests altogether) so i think if a student decides to take a “break year” it’s good for them in the long run

1 Like

As an example, one of my closest friend S , finished 4 years in traditional UG (with 4 GPA on all and 3.98 or so in Med related subjects).
He got admitted to a great institute for MD.
He took a year off after his UG to reset himself.

In my friends words, his son was burning midnight oil, when all his friends were having fun and doing normal stuffs and his son felt … he needs to reset to gain focus.

So in other words he is taking 9 years (+ Residency etc.,)…

The end results matters… JMHO

The point I was making was that people dont stick to the programs they join for BS/MD always, they leave and join other places under various conditions. There is a reasonable chance based on what I have seen locally where people have left Rice/Baylor, BUSMED, University of Houston/Baylor either for better options or they decided to take multiple gap years and so lost their original MD admission and joined others later. So there are people who leave for better programs, people who lose their eligibility because they are not certain about medicine (or academic qualification issues) or they give up on medicine altogether.

yeah its not posted online besides on the contract

@Pearl07, @Research2

1000 hours of clinical experience is a lot. You will get 40 hours if you volunteer full time over a week. So, you would need 25 weeks of full-time work. You could get these during 3 summers if you worked 8 weeks or so per summer. Trying to do these in a 4+4 program is easily doable and in a 3+4 program will not be so easy!

Usually, only the contracts in the early assurance programs might state that the medical school still reserves the right to deny entry, etc. I feel you should talk to current students to make sure how many students get admitted to SOM out of the cohort

1 Like