Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@Champs23
You may want to check this thread.

No, regional

Thanks. I live an a neighbor state of Missouri.

1 Like

Was this from the ā€œstill under consideration listā€? Congrats!

Thanks! I donā€™t think so because I never got an ā€œunder considerationā€ email.

@bigmac36
Did you look into COA part? UMKC vs Siena/AMC?

I know that UMKC has scholarships that can reduce COA pretty significantly (I heard for some people itā€™s only 10k a year), but otherwise itā€™s 40k+. Siena said they canā€™t let me know my estimate until I get my results for the BS/MD program, so Iā€™ll need to reach out to them again. Without scholarships/aid, theyā€™re both pretty expensive.

1 Like

Any insights/advise anyone can share on the Rutgers Honors college - have heard that it is a great option, am trying to find someone who went through their honors college? Only 3 kids (out of 250+ that applied to Rutgers) from my highly competitive high school got in so I presume the honors college admission is quite competitive. Also read about their 4+4 medicine program which seems pretty good given that it is not an accelerated path and one can get a full 4 years undergrad experience.

yeah some thing like that, whatever corresponds to 80th percentile or above. That is a pretty modest requirement by the way and never an issue compared to the academic rigor and gpa requirements. Most folks in the program score between 95-100 th percentile even without much preparation.

GW/GW results out. My S got in

19 Likes

@bigmac36
You can post back when you hear true COA for both choices.
Did you check with current UMKC BAMD students on the holistic learning part due to 6-year program duration and also on the Match List? What other specific questions do you have?

2 Likes

Being a neighboring state of MO probably makes Siena/AMC harder for you location-wise. However, you will have breathing room in a 4+4 Siena/AMC program when compared to a 2+4 UMKC program. GPA and MCAT requirements for both the programs seem easy enough. Do wait to see your final cost for each of these programs.

Also, see the poster in the below link from a previous student, vastax105-

1 Like

Got it. Ya parent involvement is great but desire for bs/md must come from students.

1 Like

hi everyone!
I got into UConnā€™s SPIM and I was wondering if anyone else either got in or has any insight on the program. I will likely be going there, but I donā€™t know anyone who got accepted.

8 Likes

visited rochesterā€™s campus today and it was snowing pretty hard for the end of march. Didnā€™t think weather was going to be a factor in my decision until today. just something to consider

5 Likes

got GW/GW with presidential scholarship

15 Likes

Do remember someone else posting about it earlier on this thread and asking questions. Like a week or two back, if you want to scroll back and check. It is quite a decent program, remember reading the profile of an in state student few years ago on the results thread who chose to go there in preference over Yale.

Are you instate or out of state? As I gather, it is not an accelerated undergrad (requiring 4 years) but they are very flexible in keeping your seat open even as you may want to explore other medical schools in junior/senior year undergrad. Have you got any price breaks/scholarships for undergrad? Find out what is the tuition arrangement at the medical school 4 years from now when you matriculate.

@Iskhn also got into UConn SPIM and was requesting a comparison with Tulsa BSMD

4 Likes

Hard for 17/18 year olds to make that decision. I hope kids are talking with other kids who went thru both BSMD and traditional paths instead of purely relying on parents. As said before, my kid decided to forgo BSMD admission not me. We were willing write the big check to BU.

Well have known many kids in the past who went to Rutgers honors college from our township and neighborhoods. Didnā€™t realize it was that competitive, unless things changed in the past couple of years or so. Yes it is a decent option, most kids get good price breaks on top of instate tuition. Each school under Rutgers have their own criteria for selection based on the strength of applicant pool. So some one may be invited as honors student in say business school but not in the engineering if s/he applies to both. And vice-versa.

4+4 medicine program is super competitive even for any honors college student, they take like 10 students into the program every year out of who knows how many applicants.

1 Like