Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Congratulations to collegeapplicationdad and to you. My S also got into gw bamd

10 Likes

As long as kids are okay seeking ā€œinputsā€ from parents/coaches/wellwisher thatā€™s fine as adults do (suppose to) see ā€œbigger pictureā€

You are correct that the ORM parents ā€œmay pushā€ but I have seen kids (nowadays) push back.

The final decision should be theirs only as they are the one whoā€™s going to be studying for 8+ years :rofl: not me.

1 Like

Got into JHU, Rice and BU SMEDā€¦.waiting for Duke and Ivyā€™s. Is BU SMED better option than Rice or JHU?

14 Likes

Awesome. congratulations !! Wondering if they have admitted student day. I couldnt find anything on portal. Are you considering?

Congratulations !! Is your son considering GW?

(General suggestions to help each other. No offense intended)

Saw few posts asking (and also DM)ā€¦ What about A vs B college.

Itā€™s like asking someone to order food for you without the person knowing your preferences.

The proper posts would have been ā€¦

Here are my priorities, where I am (OOS , Instate), COA, what i look for, what i got , UG selected etc., then folks will have more data to answer.

Even then you/your kid/family have to make the choice. as whatā€™s right for one person may not be right for another.

JMHO

4 Likes

Thanks, Yes my S is considering GW BA MD, as we live in DC area. How about you.

1 Like

IIT BS/DO program: Anyone know about this program? Any feedback? Thanks.

With my child it was always the childā€™s wish and never ours. Many kids do know what they want and quite early.

Starting as early as middle school (or may be earlier), these were what I/we suggested - We asked to continue Spanish s/he chose to switch to French. Asked to continue with tennis in high school on which we spent lot of hours and dollars, s/he chose Marching band. Asked not to choose the notoriously tough AP Physics E&M (in their school) in senior year but to continue with AP French, chose to do E&M only. And finally, I specifically asked to go into financial engineering or computer science with great scholarships, s/he insisted on medicine ā€¦ We always respect the childā€™s decision though may give our inputs of what may (or not) be in his/her interest but the decision has always been and will be the kidā€™s.

5 Likes

@Rali_Jan is much on point. Sometimes, the choice can even be child specific though both are from the same parents. That is my personal experience. We live in the DC-MD-VA metroplex. One I can let off like a bird to school in CA but the other I wouldnā€™t even consider NJ which is 3 hours away based on their different personage. LOL!

1 Like

Rice is supposed to be a good pre-med school with lots of resources nearby and can get you in TX Med schools easily. They are good schools and relatively less pricy. Donā€™t know about JHU. Talked to some Rice students. Their premed acceptance rate is 90+ pct. We are looking into Rice too.

Any update on FAU, NJIT/NJMS?

Thanks! Iā€™m planning to visit Rice on Apr 8th for their owl day. Right now inclined towards Rice over BU SMED and keeping fingers cross for Brown PLME :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just got an email that Iā€™m waitlisted as an alternate for Adelphi/PCOM

Same

Thanks and agreeā€¦

My Dā€¦ very specific (she didnā€™t even plan to be in Med till end of Junior) but was very specific that she doesnā€™t want CS (I am techie by profession :slight_smile: LOL).

Sheā€™s also (say) choosy on locations, preferences, etc.,ā€¦

So all i did (like i do at job) is to provide her data , optionsā€¦ come to me for opinion/input (if needed)ā€¦ even BSMD or Traditional or IVYā€¦ and she chose the one she liked it based on her criteria.

For us, all BSMD are OOS so i was worried/scared (internally) but she was clear on her path and i respect/accepted that.

Thatā€™s why i made those statements as itā€™s very individualistic choices.

2 Likes

Good ideaā€¦

Visiting colleges and feeling a rhythm/beat for the place is very important.
Also communicate with the students, professors and see the colleges fit with your style.

Nothing wrong with your personal choices even if it may not align with others

Example: My D, eliminated 2 good ones (though she got in 1 and waitlisted in another) on her preferences.

Good luck

Received finally admitted to LECOM for my daughter

16 Likes

Drexel BS/MD just released.
I got accepted!

22 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like