Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Thumbs up! Congratulations

1 Like

2023 list is out
https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

2 Likes

Just got into Drexels BSMD Program!!!

17 Likes

My daughter got into Drexel too!

20 Likes

Just got accepted into Drexel

20 Likes

congrats, you should be super proud!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the list.
Interesting, NJMS dropped from 66 to 74. That’s a huge drop. I wonder why.

NJ residents or others - Is there anything you can share about NJMS? We are from OOS and have no idea of the caliber of the school or what locals think. Anything positive or negative that you can share will be helpful as we make a decision. Thx!

1 Like

@kaj2017
Please define the “caliber of the school” part.
Not sure if you read @Rali_Jan post below:

I think you got into Pitt, REMS ??
Med school Pitt/Rochester/ Case >>> NJMS…IMO…no comparison…
best wishes, you will do well whatever you choose!

1 Like

Thank you! So far my D has REMS, BU, Penn/SKMC. Awaiting NJMS (full-ride NJIT), Pitt, Cincinatti & Stony Brook. Out-state for all.

6 Likes

Out of the ones you listed, I would only go with BU/PMM or maybe Rochester.
I have personal experience with BSMD with my older child. She was accepted to 4-5 programs as well.
We are choosing between BU/PMM at this point. BU is a great med school . Cost is a huge factor . Their schedule is not flexible.
PMM, IMO, kids are very happy . Schedule is very flexible , kids have great great bonding. Cost is average and maybe not ranking wise compared to BU, but Jefferson is a great med school.
For NJMS, the location is not desirable for many. If you are OOS, not sure how much difference it would make with say PMM.

1 Like

Cost, Location and prestige …depends what will be most important for you as a family. In the end all med schools will serve the purpose.
If NJIT is full ride, it puts NJMS at the top. also it is 7yr…

1 Like

Congrats for your D

Got lots of good choices.

Not sure what’s your criteria (and not sure this will help)

If cost … then nothing can beat $0 (NJIT full ride)
Research education… CASE (future into teaching, academics, research, papers etc.,)
BU - Bigger city… > $$$ and good one.

Each one has it’s plus …
Also visit the place (or atleast talk with the existing students, reddit etc.,)

I know folks who didn’t like “certain things” in the colleges …remember it’s 4/8 years commitment… so

1 Like

@kaj2017 - Congratulations to your D on her multiple bsmd admissions. These are great options!

Pls do a holistic comparison. One thing to keep in mind, oos public SOM are usually costlier. So, even with UG scholarship, the total cost may be higher.

Out of all, I feel UPitt is the best option. UPMC is an amazing SOM. Well worth the extra cost over njit/njms IMO.

second options -REMS, BU will be expensive with full price and maybe even without merit!

NJIT/NJMS is good but Penn/Jeff and Cincinnati are equally good. You need to consider a pros/cons table with multiple factors (location to your State, commute to your state, total cost UG+SOM, graduating requirements, the prestige of both UG+SOM)

You mentioned a full ride for NJIT. Did you get any merit awards from Pitt, Cincinnati, SBU, REMS? In the past, these colleges gave merit awards.

2 Likes

Hi, what ug?

2023 Medical school Ranking for research and Primary Care for reference again these are subjective do primary care rankings matter ?? As UKMC, Pitt and Brown are ranked well in primary care

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools

1 Like

Got into Drexel BS/MD as well as Geogetown today. Plus a few of offers from top 20 schools. It will be a tough decision until May 1.

12 Likes

Thomas Jefferson. We want to change UG. Going to call them today . Need to check whether they will allow to change or not. We have St. Bonaventure or Syracuse.

1 Like

All

I have created the RESULTS thread for this year’s applicants.
Please use that thread to share your STATS+PERSPECTIVES.
I have shared a sample format to share the same.

Please use this current thread for questions and discussions.
This way, the results thread is relatively clean and helpful for future applicants.

Here is the link:

2 Likes