Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Congratulations to everyone who got into BU, Drexel, and others.

Please consider withdrawing from colleges you know you will NOT be attending as you weigh your options. It may help waitlisted students. If you are still deciding, take your time but do it before the deadline imposed by the colleges.

And share your stats + perspectives in the results thread.

5 Likes

Medical School rankings

Please take all rankings with a pinch of salt.
Understand the methodology and evaluate with respect to factors important to you.

US News Medical ranking gives 40% weightage to FEDERAL research dollars received by a university (for research rankings) and 40% weight to primary care production for primary care rankings. That implies it ignores PRIVATE research dollars.

Remember - all accredited medical schools will give you a shot at your residency and your lifestyle and pay is dependent on the specialty you choose.

4 Likes

To all who have sent me DMs:

I am backlogged as I was out of town.
Will respond to everyone by tonight.

1 Like

Syracuse UG is better than the other two IMO.

1 Like

Thank you @Vicky2019. We want to pick Syracuse too as they have EAP for MD route too if she gets good good without MCAT. She can switch either to Lecom or Syracuse EAP. What do you say ā€¦ please let me know.

If she gets good gpa in UG for EAP program

We have two options SBU- NYIT
LECOM
Which one is best

Time to say bye bye to Flexmed at iCahn. I cant imagine them retaining it with a 11 ranking.

Got an email today:
Brown received 50,649 applications, 9% increase and largest batch ever. Admit rate is 5%, with 3.6 from reg decision. Admitted 1651 via reg and 895 via ED.

PLME had 3,827 applications, admitted 84. 2% admission rate.

Insane

6 Likes

Yep, every year, things are getting crazier.
And it feels more and more like a lottery.

2 Likes

Thank you @Vicky2019 @Rali_Jan @Aum2022 @Somcpharm @cheer2021 for your insights!

We are awaiting NJMS, Pitt, Cincinatti & Stony Brook. And I may be jumping ahead but given that we have about 4 weeks to decide and only a few weekends to travel to schools, I thought Iā€™d start looking at them more closely. Again, it may be foolish on my part as we may not even get into any of these med schools we are waiting on.

For now, of the ones we have, weā€™re considering PMM/SKMC as the COA will be close to ~500k. BU (COA ~ 625K for 7 yrs), & REMS (COA ~ 575k for 8 yrs) come next.

Undergrad awards: Rochester (22k/yr); Pitt (10k/yr); Stony Brook (10k/yr); Cincinatti (interviewed for Full-tuition award; awaiting results); NJIT (full ride)

If NJMS comes along (BIG IF) then its COA will be ~ 315K since they offer instate tuition in med school for OOS. That is why I was curious about NJMS. Difference between NJMS & SKMC will be about ~ 175K.

Anyways, will have to just wait & see. Pitt will notify only around mid-Apr and Iā€™m not too optimistic about that. If it comes thru, there will be a last minute scramble to figure things out. Time will tellā€¦

1 Like

Good problem. Right? My advise will be for yā€™all to create a comparison table/chart of all options and allocate numbers (positive or negative) to each pros and cons and then total up for each and that will help give you a clearer picture of how to rank your options and move forward.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about SBU-NYIT but I attended the BS/DO admitted student day in 2019 at LECOM/Seton Hill and I really love the school and their teaching models. Their facilities are very modern and first class. Thatā€™s just my two cent!

1 Like

Never understood that program but I know two kids from Vandy opted for it.

Hello, I need some advice regarding which college to pick.

Programs:
Drexel (oos)
Nyit (oos)
Coa for both is the same

Reg Undergrad:
Njit honors college (is) - cheapest option
Tcnj (is) - little more costly than njit
Bio major for both.

If you need any info lmk.

From the ones you have, looks like despite more cost PMM/SKMC is better than NJIT/NJMS, location wise ( NJMS is not in a great area) and prestige wise (SKMC is a better schoolā€¦IMO). REMS better than BU/SMED ( as 7year, from what I read is all cramped up).

Overall for now, PMM/SKMC seems the best optionā€¦
In the end, I am sure you will choose what will work best for youā€¦

1 Like

Hello my C has secured admission on Hoftsra 4+4 BSMD program, any insights or experience into this program? I saw costs of attendance are definitely higher than state schools. How is rating for Zucker SOM?

4 Likes

Personally I donā€™t know anyone who went to NJMS or graduated (have known few kids who got in through both BS/MD and traditional, but chose to go to other programs/med schools). But do know that both that school and its sister med school under Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson are quite decent med schools. Especially have known many kids who went to Robert Wood Johnson and have done phenomenally well.

Both the med schools are severely underrated by US news rankings by whatever methodology they have, just as is the case with Miamiā€™s that I brought up earlier. I personally believe they both should be up at least by about 20-25 spots or more with any decent ratings website, if any.

Regarding NJMS, it is in the middle of the city and if you go with feeder like NJIT or Rutgers Nwk, you end up spending all 7 years right there. Some people love it, since NJMS is right next door and they get access to all the activity going on there for all 7 years. Whereas some others dislike that. You have to personally visit the campus to get a feel of it and assess your comfort level. Also, New York City is reasonably close and accessible by train from the campus for pursuing any research, internships etc, with many prestigious facilities/institutions there.

1 Like

Syracuse with two options - EAP either LECOM or MD seems good.

But, the nature of EAP is that there is no guarantee. Meeting GPA by no means gives a guaranteed seat or even an interview. Assume there will be heavy competition and consider these as backup options.

My suggestion is to go for Syracuse. Prepare as if you are in the traditional route MD. Then, your kid should work hard and focus from day 1 on the GPA and ECs. So, even without early assurance, they can still be competitive for regular route MD.

1 Like

Sure thank you so much

1 Like