Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Congratulations for plme and gwu

Thank you for your insight information. Does the pass/fail grading only apply to PLME students? My son will be in regular premed. Will the same policy apply? If many classes are pass/fail, would a student be competitive for medical school application? The example of 80%=A sounds scary. Hope itā€™s not a common theme for most classes. Otherwise it must be very stressful to go through this every day.

As long as risk averse ORMs are willing to shell out $500K -$700K, BSMD programs will continue.

Now with USMLE step 1 being pass/fail only, medical school prestige/rank may have some more role to play eventually in residency matchā€¦remains too be seen.

Why Drexel over NYIT?

But you got to get in to spend $500-$700K anyway

Thatā€™s what i am sayingā€¦ the doors are getting narrower

There is always pvt ones like CNSUā€¦ or BSDO (pvt ones).

Any thoughts on 3+4 NYIT/NYITCOM vs. 4+4 NSU/KPCOM?

@gradedu
Did you explore the contacts here?

1 Like

Thank you for your insight information. Does the pass/fail grading only apply to PLME students? My son will be in regular premed. Will the same policy apply? If many classes are pass/fail, would a student be competitive for medical school application? The example of 80%=A sounds scary. Hope itā€™s not a common theme for most classes. Otherwise it must be very stressful to go through this every day.

Brown offers pass/fail for all their classes. It sounds like PLME students can take all of them as pass/fail except for BIO.

In your sonā€™s case, AAMC rules will apply which requires most required classes for AAMC to be taken for a grade. So if he takes 4 math classes and AAMC requires only one, then he must have at least one for a grade. Similarly he will need one year of physics, one year of regular chemistry, one year of organic, one semester of biochem, one year of BIO one year of english, all for credit.

They also require labs for all sciences but not always with a grade.

3 Likes

Columbia takes many as transfer students, diluting the student pool quite a bit after year 1.

1 Like

@Rali_Jan I guess you donā€™t know that CNSU is having very huge accreditation issues. Very HUGE.

I donā€™t know what happened at the Feb review of this decision.

ETAā€¦here is the update:

3 Likes

It is kind of interesting how the big name schools play step 1 and 2 and so on. Someone who attended stanford med told me most of their classmates focused on acing step 1 and wanted to reach 260 but took step 2 without much fanfare, in some cases waiting until finishing their interviews. Most of their scores were 20 points below step 1. This person needed to rush and take step 2 because the specialty needed one year of primary care and the internal medicine people said they wouldnā€™t admit without step 2 score (sure enough it was 260+ dropped to 240).

UTSouthwestern wrote a letter to all their 2020 admits stating that they have some of best averages for step 2 due to their great clinical training and they expect to do even better with their residencies with the change - trying to motivate their admits to choose UTSW over any other admissions they may have.

2 Likes

More and more medical schools are offering merit scholarships and good number of schools are offering UG merit.

I often hear that ORMs need higher stats for bsmd. Does that apply to bsdo programs as well?

Well that grace and support comes into play. In that example (Bio), the teacher gives 3 tests and drops the lowest one, drops 2 low homework grade, and 2 low lab grades.

S/NC is open to all. No clue how it affects premed- we are a risk adverse family :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing:

1 Like

Just got in PPSP! Iā€™m choosing between REMS and PPSP right now so i donā€™t know yet- Iā€™m waiting for Pitt GAP as well.

13 Likes

Thank you so much for the explanation! Appreciate it very much.

The bar for BS/MD has already moved up.
Donā€™t know how much further it will move up for ORM kids.

1 Like

Yes, we calledā€¦ bz signal quite oftenā€¦ strangeā€¦ why wouldnā€™t it go into vm? Hmmm