Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

NOVA has had some challenges in recent years that have shown up in their COMLEX scores and residency match rates.

Choose NYITCOM.

1 Like

The comparison was between Drexel/Drexel BS/MD and regular pre-med undergrad at NJIT (not NYIT).

All

If you have made a decision about which college you plan to attend or shortlisted the final 2-3 colleges, please consider withdrawing from other colleges.

Also, please share your Stats+Perspectives in the RESULTS thread once you are comfortable.

2 Likes

Yes I do (and thanks)ā€¦ thatā€™s why we didnā€™t even bother to apply. We heard about other issues too(like discrimination and residency match). IMO they will survive as too much $$$s but I/we didnā€™t even bother.

I usedā€¦ CNSU as an example for paying for Pvt colleges w.r.t spending money :slight_smile: few pvt BSDO and NOT on quality or other stuffs.

Recently though I heard CNSU had a meeting with lots of folks (outside folks to spread positive messages) on trying to fix their imageā€¦ not sureā€¦ i will wait for few more yearsā€¦ JMHO

Iā€™m having a pretty difficult decision right now; I would appreciate it if you guys could provide some feedback.

I got into NJMS 7 Year Med Program today (Rutgers UG & TCNJ UG) with a full ride for Rutgers undergrad. I got into Brown (non PLME) yesterday. Iā€™d have to pay about 160k total for Brown.

I am still waiting on Pitt GAP but that aside, what do you guys recommend? I will not that Newark is very close to my home, but this isnā€™t a major factor.

If this makes a difference, I want to pursue academic medicine and research throughout my medical career. Iā€™ve heard prestige matters more for positions in these fields.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

Yes trueā€¦ but we can get the merit scholarshipsā€¦only if you are allowed to enter :slight_smile: .

Thatā€™s becoming a bigger issue/competition now adays.

Letā€™s see

Without knowing complete pictureā€¦

If academics is GOALā€¦ then canā€™t beat Brown (name brand)ā€¦ simple. You do see talking heads (I think Dr.Ashish Jha from Brown on TV during COVID)

If your goal changes while doing UG in Brownā€¦ obviously there will be plenty of opportunities

Again without complete pictureā€¦ JMHO

Are you planning to do MD/PhD?
If no, the answer is clear - choose NJMS BS/MD.

If yes, check if NJMS will allow you to do MD/PhD that as part of its BS/MD.

The clinical exposure at NJMS is more broad-based than Brown. You see and learn a lot more stuff being at NJMS.

1 Like

Donā€™t know. Njit does

Hopefully, NJMS would send us something about open house or something. Are you going to NJ anytime soon to visit? We are planning a trip soon

Anyone who was good enough to get Ivies and couple of good BSMDs should be able to repeat. Some will have setbacks like everything else.

1 Like

IMO, go with 7yr NJMS BSMD, continue to pursue research opportunities in the summer, consider taking gap year after M3 for research if you are planning to get in to a competitive residency speciality. A local contact told me UCSF didnā€™t sent him/her Neuro surgery residency interview because 20-30 research publications are needed in general to get an interview in Neuro surgery there in addition to other qualifications. Btw this person got nearly 30+ residency interviews for his field of residency.
you may pursue MD/PHD option with NJMS. Good luck.

1 Like

Congratulations!!

Does anyone know if Hofstra 4+4 allows you to apply out without losing your seat?

Definitely would think Pitt >> PPSP >> REMS

3 Likes

@a_a1
That is what they said in the parent session in the last application cycle, since they are asking for MCAT score they let students apply out. Hope same story for this year too. Someone who attended this years parents session can confirm this. Northwellā€™s 23 hospital chain system shall be considered before applying out.

What do u mean applyout like apply to different med school instead of zukar? The answer is yes they allow you to applyout and retain your med school seat.

They can apply out but they loose their guaranteed spot.

1 Like

Wow this question was asked in last parent with Hofstra few weeks back a d they said students can apply out but there is a deadline by which they need to tell them.if you are confirming your zukar seat. Will confirm again. Thanks

No they loose their spot at Hofstra. I think VCU and Oklahoma are the only colleges that retains the seat and lets you apply out.

2 Likes