Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Yes, the equivalent AP science class will be taken on later in HS. What if the class is not withdrawn and the overall score in the honors class ends as a B? Because this marking period, it is a struggle to make a B but we are hopeful that we can make a low B, and A’s the rest of the marking periods.

What is the best way to get aid/scholarship, If family income is greater than 150k? BSMD college expenses is anywhere between 200-500k depending on college. Thanks

@ss2004 - You would need to look for merit aid. There are a number of undergrad colleges (part of BSMD) that offer merit aid if your kid is a National Merit Finalist or Scholar. Other BSMD programs offer merit scholarships for good stats (OSU, some NJMS feeders, Stony Brook, Case western etc.)

You could also apply for national level scholarships that give $$$ like presidential scholarship, coca cola scholarship etc.

For the above paths, there is no guarantee and the selection process is competitive.

if your family income is greater than 150K - do you have corresponding expenses such as multiple kids in college? This is another way why you could pay less per child.

Others can also pitch in…

1 Like

@BrownPLME - If I am understanding correctly, you are asking if colleges can see each marking period? As far as I know, the transcripts only show the final grade. This is especially true if your kid is still in grades, 9-11.
High schools need to send out grades for the first semester or quarter in 12th grade when the students apply to colleges so the colleges would see this of course.

Also, one W won’t hurt if it is in 9th grade. So, you have to think about what else makes his application compelling to adcomm?

Having said this, BSMD programs are ultra-competitive where admitted students are in the top 1-5% with near-perfect GPA and scores and 10+ APs in addition to stellar ECs (including medical ECs). Even with this sort of profile, students are likely to get into only 1-3 bsmd programs out of the total 12+ applications. So, your kid will be facing stiff competition.

1 Like

@ss2004
IMO, @Vicky2019 covered it all for the BSMD part. If the cost is a big concern then you can aim at BSMDs that give out full-ride or full-tuition or large merit scholarships during the UG part. If the program allows you to apply out (some program allows without losing your MD seat) then you can try MD admission at States where tuition fee is relatively cheaper (Example: TX). When you apply out NYU medical college is offering full tuition, Kaiser Permanente in LA is also offering full-tuition but only to the first couple batches of medical students. There are 5 other medical schools offering partial or full tuition: https://studentloanhero.com/featured/medical-schools-tuition-free/
Some state MD colleges like in TX, do offer scholarships to match OOS tuition fees the same as in-state, but these colleges could be heavily in-state preference during the MD admission process. Check it out.
You didn’t specify your State, if you are accepted to a BSMD within the state you live in, you will end up paying in-state fees (for in-state public schools) during the entire length of the BSMD program + possible full ride or full tuition during UG part. This could put you on the lower side of the range you have mentioned. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks both of you. I leave in Illinois.

1 Like

@ss2004 - You should apply to University of Illinois College of Medicine, GPPA Medical Scholars Program. This will be cheaper since it is a in state program for both UG and Med school.

Hey BSMDers,

Has anyone heard from Baylor regarding their selection status for Round 1 of B2B Medical Scholars?

It is probably too early as the Round 1 deadline was Oct 1.
Have you heard anyone getting invited to attend the faculty session?

1 Like

Haven’t heard of anyone getting invited, but there’s a new section up on the website that says “if you were invited to participate in Round 1… etc” that was not there previously. The B2B section also states that students will be notified on or before October 8th. Just wanted to know if anyone received an email or if there’s more time?

2 Likes

Should we be selecting honors program for upitt gap?

It helps.

1 Like

Hi all, I am applying to Augusta’s BSMD Program, and I was wondering if there was a difference in applying as a rolling admission vs early action applicant. I know that the Professional Scholars Supplemental application opens Nov. 1, so I was wondering, of the two, which the better admission plan would be.

Does UPitt have any med specific essays (other than the honors essay) for the BSMD program? Just wondering because I couldn’t find any

1 Like

No.
They will bein the supplmental appliction, if you receive one.

1 Like

If you can, apply early action.

Sorry for all the questions, could anyone provide me with the Drexel and Temple supplemental essays for this year? I am having trouble with the portal and am currently in contact with the admissions office. I would like to get started on those essays as the deadline is approaching.

How early would you recommend to apply to Upitt for their GAP medicine program?

1 Like

Applying anytime between now and before the deadline is a good time.
If you are ready with your application, do it this week.

Thank you! Would you recommend applying through common app or Pitt portal.