Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@Aurora2326 - It doesn’t matter either way. Colleges are pretty flexible in this area

Agree with @Vicky2019
Apply with the one you are most comfortable with.

1 Like

My son is a junior currently and has a 1550 SAT(one sitting). You think thats good enough for applying BS MD next fall even to programs like Brown/Baylor/UPitt etc? He still has one year but do you guys think there is any benefit to try and improve the SAT or taking the ACT? He has 4.0 GPA so far.

1 Like

You need to check all BSMD programs websites you are planning to apply to understand their policies on superscoring for Fall 2022. IMO, predicting superscoring policies for Fall 2023 is too early, but you can get a trend if you study Fall 2022 policies for BSMD programs. Below is SAT to ACT conversion chart. IMO, if your son is trying ACT then aim for a full score of 36. There were many accepted in BSMD programs with SAT score of 1550 and around for the Fall 2021 cycle. I suggest you to check out the results thread, and do your own study. Good luck.

@bsmdmom - Since he is junior, trying one more time for a higher score seems reasonable. But, he should prepare before trying again.

@cheer2021 - If I understand this correctly, superscoring is for example when you take english marks from one test and math from another. Say a student scored a composite 1550 and then in the next test scored 1600 and choose to submit only the 1600 test - this is not considered super-scoring. College board allow students to submit just one test to colleges.

Thanks. He took it twice but got the same score of 1550, superscored 1560. So was just wondering if it is even worth it spending more time to prepare for SAT/ACT. His ECs are decent with research, volunteering and shadowing and he still has one year to build upon them. Just trying to see what would be the most use of the time remaining

May I know where the information is found that College Board only allows one test to be sent? I submitted my first application and it allowed me to submit my two highest scores.

1 Like

My DC took SAT only once, so I can’t validate CollegeBoard allowing only one test submission to the colleges. However, this submission part comes later part of the game, after accepting the admission offer for most colleges, as they are allowing self-reporting SAT scores while applying, especially in the Fall 2021 admission cycle.
But if someone has taken SAT multiple times and wants to submit SAT scores for peace of mind while applying itself, then it’s better to know whether CollegeBoard allows multiple SAT test scores submissions. Others - please chime in. Thanks.

After logging into College board-

1. First step is - you choose SAT score (by default it selects all your tests) but you can de-select lower scores
  2. then the next step is - you choose colleges to send the scores
  3. then submit.

I don’t know what you mean by “where is the information?” - because I have helped my kids with this step and seen with my eyes for both SAT and ACT.

2 Likes

@bsmdmom - Since your S has taken the test twice and 1560/1550 is a pretty good score, he can leave it for now. He should try to improve his ECs, he could try either one of volunteering/shadowing/research

Some additional areas of experience to consider -

• he may try clinical volunteering because adcoms give importance to this experience
  • he may try to see if he can present his research in a stem conference if possible
  • he may try to get shadowing experience in multiple specialities
1 Like

Now most schools are test optional. My observation was - private universities tend to allow self reporting of scores. public universities tend to request official scores from testing sites.

IMO - I don’t see any issue with kids taking tests more than once unless they scored 100% marks the very first time. based on observation - Usually students who take tests earlier in high school tend to score a little less and students who take tests at the end of junior year tend to score their best…

1550 is a competitive BSMD score.
It is more of a necessary condition than a sufficient condition.

I know of kids with more scores than this not getting into the 3 colleges you mentioned and we have cases shared on this forum with kids with similar or less scores making it into those colleges.

If he has given it twice, I will NOT recommend giving it one more time.

1 Like

@BrownPLME
If you have to withdraw from a class in HS because of an expected lower grade, how are you going to deal with grading in college level courses. A “W” in a college transcript is not seen favorably at all. Why take more than you can handle ? One “W” may not matter but more will raise flag about your abilities to handle college level courses. College level courses are graded more harshly specially pre-med required ones. Please revaluate your HS course plan.

@bsmdmom
A 1550 SAT may be towards the lower end for ORM applicants. One may benefit with a higher SAT or ACT score. Why are you planning to apply to Baylor unless a Texa’s resident ? Only a few seat for OOS( total 6 seats for BSMD).

Usually, the professor will submit the research for publication to appropriate journal or conference if she/he deems it publishable. She/he would include all names contributing to the research.

I understand how to select certain scores, and I have done that by sending my two best scores. I was asking about your statement “College board allow students to submit just one test to colleges,” and asking where you have found that information.

Hi! I’m interested in research opps but dont know where to start. Do you have any recommendations on how to do so?

@superstar678 - All I was saying is students are not forced by college board to submit scores from all their tests. Students can choose to submit their best score. Hope this makes it clear?

For this option, you would need to wait until you have test scores in hand and then pay to submit the scores to colleges.

1 Like

cold-emailing professors is your best bet. also you can apply for structured research summer/academic year programs in your area.