Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I’m new to this forum. We have a very tough decision to make and was hoping for some input. My D shortlisted 2 BS/MD programs that she got into and was interested in. She got into the UMKC 6 year ba/md program and Augusta university 7 year bs/md program.

Pros for UMKC:

• 6 year, no mcat, clinical experience day 1 through docent system
    Cons for UMKC:
  • out of state

Pros for Augusta:

• in state, tuition covered for undergrad
    Cons for Augusta:
  • 512 mcat (or national average of students matriculating into medical school that year), 3.7 gpa, 7 year instead of 6

We are confused on which school is better as ranking wise they are both quite similar being public schools. Which may be better for residency (other than internal medicine)?

Yes, I noticed the rejections - their GPA and MCAT scores. Seems like the top students were crowding out the ones with (marginally) lesser scores.

You should ask Augusta for stats on how many people continue on of those who were admitted to their program to see if people have issues making it to MD from this program. This should always be the first question for anyone picking a specific program with required GPA and MCAT.

Rankings dont matter for medical school. Pretty much everyone enrolled in UMKC (I am assuming since they have no restrictions) goes onto MD. So it will come down to cost and whether your D will be successful in matriculating to MD at Augusta based on prior history for that program.

2 Likes

I highly doubt that many people choose to drop out of doing MD. There must be some other attrition factors contributing to the low conversion rate like people going to other programs or not meeting the required stats.

Wow! that is a high attrition rate. Definitely a point of concern and a red flag.
I did not realize Case had such high attrition. Thought it was 1 to 2 kids not making it.

Also, based on the wording, it seems the interview is no longer a formality.
Guess how much of this attrition was on account of not clearing the interview.
Looks like they are picking up bad habits from WashU and Temple.

2 Likes

ppsp requirements

A CWRU cumulative GPA of 3.63 and a cumulative American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) GPA and AMCAS Biology, Chemistry, Physics and MATH (BCPM) GPA of 3.63 at the time of application and maintained on final graduation transcripts.

clinical shadowing, and involvement in undergraduate activities and community programs.

Pre-Professional Scholars in Medicine are not required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) for the program. However, if they do take the MCAT, they are expected to achieve a score that is above the 94th percentile. Program participants who have an interest in applying to other medical schools or who wish to be considered for a dean’s merit scholarship at the Case Western Reserve School of Medicine should plan on taking this test.

Seems like if you take MCAT, you need a 517 but you need to take it to apply for scholarships so it is a catch 22.

1 Like

You forgot the biggest catch 22 of them all :slight_smile:
Look at the last line specifically!! Especially the last word!!

A CWRU cumulative GPA of 3.63 and a cumulative American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) GPA and AMCAS Biology, Chemistry, Physics and MATH (BCPM) GPA of 3.63 at the time of application and maintained on final graduation transcripts. They are also expected to continue to fulfill expectations for outstanding professional and personal development as outlined in the Condition of Admission letter. These expectations include, but are not limited to, maintaining academic integrity and adhering to the university’s standards of conduct (all academic integrity and judicial offenses will be reported to the School of Medicine), clinical shadowing, and involvement in undergraduate activities and community programs.

Pre-Professional Scholars in Medicine are not required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) for the program. However, if they do take the MCAT, they are expected to achieve a score that is above the 94th percentile. Program participants who have an interest in applying to other medical schools or who wish to be considered for a dean’s merit scholarship at the Case Western Reserve School of Medicine should plan on taking this test.

Progress is reviewed with each student at regular intervals in the program. At the end of the third year, Pre-Professional Scholars in Medicine who have met the required levels of performance go through the normal admission procedures for the University Program of the School of Medicine, including submitting an application through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and an interview

Maybe students are applying out to other med schools or taking gap years?

Or not matriculating due to not meeting one of the requirements??? Including the subjective ones???

I would buy this. Folks may be drooping out for not meeting GPA and MCAT reqs (whoever writes MCAT but can’t meet 517).
In addition, whoever gets a high GPA and high MAT of this spin may be applying to T10 or T20 schools or even going to state schools for lower fees (looking at Case’s $68k+/yr medical school fees). Plus there could be some drop medicine cases too…Many possibilities. Hoping someone who has gone through this at CASE could shed some light.
In general looking at CASE’s reputation, rank, and being a leader in research, one can’t go wrong with CASE PPSP. Their match list is just great.

The match list comes into play IF and ONLY IF you make it to the med school!! Lol If someone takes a gap year it is still considered matriculation (but deferred by a year or 2).

You cannot go wrong with Case med school but apparently looking at the attrition rate stats and matriculation requirements, one can DEFINITELY GO WRONG with Case PPSP.

I would (like cheer2021 said) urge all Case PPSP admits to do multiple checks so one does not regret later on.

1 Like

The interview seems to be something new and should not have affected the earlier attrition rate.

1 Like

I always thought that case ppsp is guaranteed. I was not aware of the interview requirement. Oh wow…

I think the red flag is the medical interview and expecting you to do better than or equal to non-PPSP candidates, according to what the Admissions Committee feels. This is very subjective and out of your control. This makes the program more like an EAP (than BS/MD).

For a program like Case, 40-50% attrition (if those numbers are true) is bad.

6 Likes

I am not sure whether the interview is something new or was there in previous years. I thought it was there at least for a couple of years but not sure. Some others can shed light on it.

Regardless… if the interview is something new then the attrition rate as described in the current contract is more worrisome, as it was this big of an attrition rate without an interview (a subjective component). With an interview, the attrition rate can only increase.

All I am saying is that the PPSP admits should know what they are getting into. A decision made after knowing the facts is no problem at all.

2 Likes

I would caution against 6-year programs as they are more hectic and fast-paced than 7 to 8-year programs.

Internal Medicine is a gateway residency to 10 fellowships including cardiology and oncology.

Check out the match list for both the medical school.
If both are comparable, choose the cheaper option.

2 Likes

Agree that people need to look at this with a little more scrutiny rather than current assumptions of meet GPA and you are in because the interview requirement that they meet the performance of other candidates is a very nebulous requirement.

The no MCAT requirement is applicable mainly for people who are willing to write checks/borrow money without exploring scholarship options.

Since WashU and NW left the field, PPSP is the highest ranked combination of undergrad and medicine together or in a close tie with BU. Adding nebulous rules might help tip the balance to BU.

3 Likes

Thank you for you input!

1 Like

Hello all, I am new to CC and there is a wealth of information here. Thanks to everyone who share invaluable suggestions for future students. My daughter is a rising freshman (fall of 2022) and she is interested in BSMD program. I know they are extremely competitive so I wanted to start early. Can you all share who your counselor was and your feed back. I want to start early and get organized. Thanks in advance.

I believe their match list includes Cleveland Clinic students also