Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

She is going Med route. BS/DO

Going to see tomorrow Syracuse.

1 Like

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Thank you

@NoviceDad Can I DM you?

Did anyone admit to the Rowan BS/MD considering another program or just UG option?

As medical schools, both Hofstra and Temple are good medical schools.
Hofstra has the advantage of 23 hospital Northwell system. Gives you access to rotations across practically all specialties. About one-third of Hofstra students match within that system.
Hofstra, however, requires achieving an MCAT score in one sitting.

W&J is a small school 30 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.
The science department is practically 1 building. The surrounding area around W&J does not have a college vibe or feel. Very few students there are focused on pre-med. to give you a statistic, on an average about 10-15 kids from W&J will get into an MD or DO (and this includes the BS/MD kids).

So, your undergrad experience at W&J will be very different than at Hofstra. Hofstra undergrad, however, has a reputation of being a party school. There is a cohort of BS/MD students but I could find data on how many pre-med students exists in Hofstra undergrad. Students in the BS/MD program are close and tend to help each other. Reach out to @mygrad2021 whose D is at Hofstra/Hofstra.

1 Like

Yes, you can.

Hey NoviceDad, i sent you a DM on our previous thread

1 Like

Yes I knew before writing that long response :slight_smile: to be followed by another one below.

What I am saying is people change minds. Especially in traditional route even though less likely in a direct med route. But I do know people in the latter category also. One of our acquaintanceā€™s child joined a local Ivy with a strong desire as a premed, but later on interests changed and upon graduating chose to join management consultancy firm McKinsey. S/he must have done quite well in undergrad, otherwise would have been impossible to land in such a prestigious firm. Doubt if will ever consider going to medicine again. As time progressed during undergrad multiple factors may have weighed on his/her mind, such as how long drawn out process this whole medical pathway is, getting exposure to something which never envisioned before and thrilled by it, faster money making and settling down in life etc, etc ā€¦
So better to have a pathway which also provides and attractive/viable alternative if things were to change.

Another thing, if some one has a natural bent for technology, the scope is vast to merge their interests in both medicine/life sciences and tech and work during undergrad in areas like big data, machine/deep learning, data mining etc. at the confluence of two or more fields. May be get a publication or two or patents in the process too (donā€™t necessarily count on it though). If so, that will be a big boost in oneā€™s own profile irrespective of what path one sticks to or changes to in the future.

2 Likes

Hello,

Both are good schools, but things u need to consider (location, admissions requirement, opportunity, safety). Let me clarify, one of the concerns we often hear and its true for temple is location, its very urban and in downtown philly so not that great from safety perspective. When compared to hofstra location is great, its 20 mins from NYC, close to nice beaches, so your C will have a much better/safer experience at Hofstra than in Temple. After all you will be spending 8 years at that location you better like it and have a good safe experience. Both schools require MCAT, temple I belelive is 509-510 with minumum on each 3 sections, hofstra is 80 percentile in single seating. Hofstra Zucker med school has shot up in raking nicely in last few years and now is ahead of temple by few points which is very surprising in itself considering temple is around for many more years as med school. if i have to project forward zucker SOM will rise in rating over next 4 yers by the time your C is in med school. Zucker also is part of large Northwell Hospital group, gives you access to top hospitals like LIJ, NorthShore, Lenox for clinical rotations and residencies. Match list for both schools is good.
Also at Hofstra its usually a small group of BSMD kids 12-18 so the atmosphere is very cohesive and not competitive from what we know. UG experience at Hofstra will be good they have excellent science programs/classes and wide variety of majors to pick from as compared to Washington Jefferson UG. Good luck

2 Likes

Sure

Lagrad2022 you can DM me for the pros and cons of your selectd programs/colleges

Your stats are very impressive. Where did you end up deciding to go if you donā€™t mind my asking.

What is the link for the results thread. I cannot find it. Thanks

excellent advice.

Both UAB and Case are in the ranking range for medicine although the undergrad experience will be different (is it worth the money?).

We have relatives wedding next week of a kid who went through EMSAP, did quite well in residency and is a chief resident at the moment in a state far away from Alabama. I know of someone else who just started residency, and met a family over the weekend who were visiting Houston and had their kid in first year of this program. They all seem to be very satisfied.

2 Likes

My D didnā€™t get into BS/MD. She has admission to UPitt Honors, Georgetown University(NHS) Cost is not a factor. Any advice?

@Lakshmi_Padyala
IMO, focus on the UG college that supports your Dā€™s LECOM matriculation reqs. Seems Syracuse offers only 4+4 BSDO, but other choices you have offers both 3+4 and 4+4. Not sure if there is a preference there. Not sure if LECOM is non-binding, if you are planning to apply out then focus on the college selection that offers grade inflation or grade neutral. Good Luck.

2 Likes

Georgetown if I was spending the money since I want to go with the highest rank for my money.

UPitt Honors if they give a scholarship but I wouldnā€™t pay full for a state school, especially if OOS without the GAP.

@gakcc22
Pitt Medical School favors its own UG school grads by nearly 20-25%, referring @NoviceDad posting below. I came to know a person with near-perfect stats who didnā€™t get into BSMD in the last application cycle and chose UPitt for Premed UG. Good luck.

2 Likes