Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

@rbmed18
The NJMS BSMD program Application Deadline is November 1st . The Application Completion Deadline (all materials must be received by) is December 1st .
Why you think NJIT sends out interviews now? Did you see any where saying interviews sent out or you received interview call?
https://biology.tcnj.edu/academics/medical-careers/7-year-medical-program/

1 Like

Hello,
As a sophomore, I have a couple of questions regarding research in benefit for my future BS/MD applications:

• How do I start to research and publish it?
  • How could I perform individual research? Also, would individual research shine on my applications?
  • How can I cold email professors to perform a research project with a high schooler?

Thanks in advance!

For RU-Newark/NJMS, do you need to apply to the undergraduate institution before you apply to the medical school? Also, after submitting the medical school application, how soon are the teachers notified of submitting their letters of recommendation because it is all due by November 1st?

You can apply to both together.
The steps are listed here:
https://sasn.rutgers.edu/student-support/current-students/pre-professional-programs/bamd-program-njms-nwk

LORs: After you indicate their names and email, expect 1-2 days for the teachers to receive the link for submission.

1 Like

My son received on oct8th for facutly session

1 Like

Does anyone know of any summer shadowing/medical programs for high school students?

Usually local hospitals offer volunteering and shadowing programs. These are selective programs where we live. Many hospitals have these during the summer. A few offer these through out the school year.
However, during COVID, it has been very difficult to find opportunities for under 18 year olds.

1 Like

@BrownPLME
Some of our local hospitals have slowly opened up volunteer opportunities for the HS students, who are fully vaccinated. You may check out such opportunities at your geographical area.
NSLC is offering a summer program in Medicine & Health Care area, there are summer programs in many other areas too. You can start exploring this program from here:

Can you self report SAT scores and AP Scores or do they have to be officially sent through Collegeboard?

Look at college requirements. Reach out to the admissions office if college policy isn’t clear enough. Some programs require SAT scores mandatory from College Board. AP scores official send from College Board is usually needed after May 1st acceptance. Not sure if any college requires AP scores official copy from College Board during application submission itself. Again reach out to the admissions office if college policy isn’t clear enough.

For shadowing, start with your family physician.

It is college specific. Many colleges are ok with self-report scores.

1 Like

For UPITT BS/MD for example, I dont see where I can upload AP Scores? Should I email or call the admissions office to self report?
Thank you

Best to call them. Do it first thing tomorrow.

These type of summer programs are trash, charging 5k+ for classes. It would be much better to do research over the summer and volunteer on your own at the hospital

2 Likes

How is the Nov 1 application submission going?
Hopefully, everyone has submitted their application and taking a short break before the Nov 15 deadline sits on the head.

do you think it is necessary to talk about the school or their medical school partner in your why medicine essay for that school, specifically when they don’t ask for it? If so how many words should you allocate for that if the word limit is 500 words?

@futurebs_md12323 - There are usually two essay topics - Why college? and Why medicine?

If the college has these two as separate topics, you don’t need to include details about the college or why you like it in the Why medicine essay.

If the college has only one topic, Why medicine essay and they are giving you 500 words - you should feel free to talk about why you like the program
You should also try to use as much of the 500 words as possible. Do lots of research about the college/program!

My view is that if the Why medicine does not ask for Why my college, you can write completely about your reasons for pursuing medicine.

The key is the exact prompt - there may be words that may require you to write about the college or program or acceleration. In such cases, you may want to include why my college part.

1 Like