Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

It varies by state.
I believe it is 18 for TX.

Sent you DM

@dudeperfect
On matriculation conditions, cumulative GPA min is 3.63 for PPSP, and for StonyBrook itā€™s 3.4. MCAT is not needed for PPSP, but for StonyBrook min MCAT required is 75 percentile (~509-510).
At the end of the third-year interview is needed for PPSP. IMO, this seems a new thing and it wasnā€™t there before.
If you want a match in the NY area then StonyBrook is stronger in matching, plus many get a match in their home state or outside NY too. PPSP match list is stronger on the competitive specialties (relatively). Research rank-wise PPSP takes precedence over StonyBrook. Good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

Thank you @NoviceDad and @cheer2021

Agree - Stony Brookā€™s requirements are a little lower and it is a bigger school.
But, they are so close that at one level he will ok with either school.

I will pass on your feedback to him.
Thank you.

1 Like

Good response from othersā€¦

One more important pointā€¦ if your nephew wants more academic specific (after completion) then CASE is better.

In short I will chose CASE because of the academic teaching provided there over SB. Also you may get to do stuff in Cleveland clinic (which is pretty good)

Heā€™s doing the right thing by talking with students (as that will possibly guide him more). You may also want to note that someone quoted that there were lots of dropouts from prior year in CWRU (maybe one time drop)ā€¦ again check with the studentsā€¦

Good luck

1 Like

Thank you.
I appreciate your feedback.

Yes, he will be asking about attrition at both programs and also the new interview requirement at Case.

1 Like

I wonder the sameā€¦ Most of the BSMD applicants have EMT on their profile and it is a huge plus but our state does not allow to take exam before turning 18 which is obviously after the application cycle for most of the students.

1 Like

A lot of states have 18+ as a requirement for becoming an EMT.
Some states allow at 16+.

We recently did research on Stony Brook. Attrition is very low to none in the last few years for the accepted students. According to Admissions and med student there, most BS MD flew pass the 75% MCAT requirements because the undergraduate classes prep BS MD students well for it. But of course, you better review/study for it and not just assume you will pass :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you.
Appreciate this insight.

Did you guys customize your activity list in the common app differently for BSMD applications vs traditional UG?

NJIT/NJMS vs Rice.

Son is struggling between the two. NJIT offers guaranteed med school admission with very minimum requirements but the UG is not as highly ranked, where is Rice is traditionally good premed school. Any feedback will be appreciated.

ConcernedDad2000 DM me for comparison

@ConcernedDad2000
If your S wants to be a physician, then you got the bird in hard (NJMS).

The Physicians and MD students whom we met and who gone through or going through the traditional route, have saidā€¦UG prestige carries little to no weight in the MD school admission process and in the residency too. One physician who has been in practice for nearly 20 years, said hardly 2-3 patients have asked about his/her UG school. Most physicians IMO suggest bird in hand, usually the cheaper (debit free or less debt) and shortest route to the medicine.

If prestige matters then Rice (T20) premed is there for your S to explore the traditional route understanding the risks in the path. There is about a 70-80% premed dropout rate due to weed out courses, or change in interest, plus gap years, etc could stretch the medicine path in the traditional route. 1-2 Gap years seem common nowadays, as many with avg GPA (3.7) and avg MCAT (513) with no GAP year are ending up getting no interviews or 1-2 waitlists after applying to nearly 30-40 MD schools. Few still interested in medicine end up doing Post-bacc or SMP after UG to overcome the lag in the UG GPA. One physician whom I met recently, joked, after going through all thisā€¦ itā€™s not the physician who to show empathy to the patients, but actually, the patients shall show empathy to the physician. LOL.
Did your S meet any of Rice Premed students to hear about their Premed or Medical school application experience?

2 Likes

You need to weigh in a number of factors to decide which route is better for your son. If prestige of undergrad alone is a factor (or major one) then it is a no brainer. NJIT/NJMS. Let alone Rice, people have given up their slots in Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Duke and the like and have chosen UpState/DownState, UConn, NJMS and the like.

If on the other hand if your son is not too sure of becoming a physician (or thinks he needs some more time), finances not an issue (to spend around 300K on undergrad and may be again on med school), or wants to explore other careers or gives more importance to undergrad school experience or something else or a combination of these, then let him choose whatever undergrad where he gets best of these.

NJIT is a technical school with strong exposure to life sciences (believe they even have some program in cell and gene therapy lately) and for those with technical bent, is a great place to be in since now a days medicine and technology or so inter twined. Donā€™t go by some rankings web site(s), which routinely downplay some excellent undergrad and medical schools while inflating few others. Even if one is not technically interested, nothing can beat the proximity to NJMS for all 7 years, besides easy access to NYC for pursuing any additional medical ECs. If at the end of it all, thinks that this was not a right choice after a couple of years, can always opt out of the program and apply out to other medical schools. Good luck with the decision and wherever he decides to go. If comfortable please share the final decision here for future students benefit.

2 Likes

Thank you @dudeperfect for sharing your nephewā€™s stats and perspectives.
Heis a smart kid and I wish him the best at Case of Stony Brook - whichever he chooses.

What state are you a resident of?

I would agree with both @cheer2021 and @rk2017

re: Rice has a fantastic residential college system and strong support for its pre-med track undergrads. There have a plethora of research opportunities. The culture is collaborative. And after the weed out classes, about 200 students apply to medical school.

re: NJMS is a strong medical school with a strong reputation for graduating well-rounded and strong clinicians. NJIT will not be like Rice but it is the premier technological institute in NJ.

One data point: One of my students - a couple of years ago - was in the same situation. She chose TCNJ/NJMS over Rice undergrad.

So, if 100% sure about medicine, I suggest giving NJIT/NJMS a strong consideration.

2 Likes

NEvada

This (IMO) is also not fair (but you play with what you got) which may have really affected at some school (I guess).

I know my D wants to doā€¦ but our state didnā€™t allow before 18 and even in person shadowing in hospitals etc. had age restrictions (along with COVID restrictions too)

But finally as i said in my results discussionsā€¦ though it may have had an impact on some of the schools who look for ā€œthese metricsā€, i believe she got in because of her non-traditional stuff .

So for future applicantsā€¦ donā€™t lose hope.

2 Likes