Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

MD admissions are more competitive. There are more applicants (95% of the students in medicine) who are far better qualified than the BSMD applicants (5% of the students in medicine). At a minimum, students will have a UG degree and sometimes grad degrees or work experience, etc.

As you move forward, you face Competition in residency, fellowship, job, etc. However, in order to reach there, you need to pass all the previous milestones.

2 Likes

Where do you see that? My daughter is not able to see that. Her application is also moved to medical college

It’s not guaranteed that all the students recommended by the feeder school will end up with an interview. It’s just a screening step. The medical school will shortlist a few kids out of the list of students sent by the feeder school.

1 Like

Was just notified that my application has been forwarded from NJIT to NJMS for consideration based on my first interview!! Received the email 1h ago

1 Like

Its on the admissions portal right underneath the “BA/BS+MD Early Assurance Program Status” headline. It says Payment Due and then has a hyperlink to where to pay.

This is the same email we got too

Congratulations!! I got the same email, but I just wanted to confirm that it doesn’t mean that NJMS will interview you. At least per my understanding, NJMS will go through your application again and then decide if you’re worthy of an interview?

1 Like

I will ask my daughter to check again. She was not able to find any link. Thank you!!

Congratulations to you as well! That is correct. I’m not sure about the numbers for that, but I know that an interview is not guaranteed. It just means NJIT has passed along our apps to the medical school (NJMS) who will in turn, make a decision. Here’s a “by the numbers” breakdown in case it helps at all: NJMS Accelerated BS/MD Program FAQs | Albert Dorman Honors College

1 Like

Has anyone gotten any update for Rutgers? Are they done sending interviews?

Good Afternoon,

I hope all is well.

My name is Dean Fellenz. I am the Assistant Dean and Director for Pre-Professional Services at Rutgers University-Newark College of Arts & Sciences, where I also serve as the coordinator for our prestigious 7 year accelerated BA/MD program that you have applied for. This email is to inform you that your Rutgers-Newark BA/MD application is still under review by our office. This year we have received 748 applications from the best applicants around the world. We will have every application reviewed by December 16th. Notifications will go out by December 17th to our first round of students selected for an interview.

Should you advance to the first round of interviews, you will be expected to participate in a 30-minute phone interview with one of our Pre-Health Advisors on Monday, December 20th, Tuesday, December 21st, or Wednesday, December 22nd. Interview slots will be between 9:00am-4:00pm (ET). Your interview time will be assigned to you.

Please note that the interview may be during your school hours. If you plan to attend school the day of your interview, please ask your guidance counselor/teachers for accommodations in advance.

We thank you for your patience and look forward to speaking with you soon!

Best,

Chazz Fellenz , MPA

This is an email that my daughter got on 13th. So I think these were first round of students and I would think that they could be additional students that would be selected for the interview

1 Like

Does this email mean that our application are not forwarded to NJMS?
I think some people got a different email.

Does anyone know how much our common app essay will be used for bsmd decisions or are they primarily used for UG decisions?

We got this email before they called anyone for Rutgers interview. Did you get Rutgers interview? My daughter did not get it or atleast were not in the first round of students.

What email did you get?

My D got Rutgers phone interview yesterday.
They said they’ll notify her of the result in about 2-4 weeks.

Thanks a lot … i am now more confused :slight_smile: LOL

My D got the admission letter for Bachelor and also was asked for Honors info to be submitted.

She only applied to BS/MD but did not get (yet) an interview … so does it mean she was not sent to NJMS .

Confused parent.

Interestingly my daughter’s portal does not show any link for payment. I am confused

You will not know unless you pay.
Till they reject you, you have to assume that you are under consideration.

Your post seems to indicate that you are assuming the worst-case scenario.

Practically all medical schools (part of BS/MD) receive the entire application package, including the common app essay.
As they say, they view it holistically.

Her application says that it’s been forwarded to medical school for review. Does she get the payment link after they review the application?