Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I know this is the wrong thread for this question ( I am unable to find the right one), but could anyone provide some insight into Northeastern vs Northwestern for regular undergrad as a premed?

It really does not matter if you are talking about pre-med education.
As far as pre-med goes, any 4 year college/university will prepare you for a career in medicine. It is a student who gets admitted to a medical school, not UG school’s prestige. Do well In UG( get a very high GPA) and get a high MCAT ( >=515) score.

I’m a rising junior taking community college courses to get an Associate Degree by the time I graduate. I got a B+ in one of my non-STEM courses (which won’t articulate onto my high school transcript). I will still be turning in the transcript to colleges I apply to. Would that be hurting my chances to a BS/MD?

1 Like

@ghermione
Looking at BSMD Fall 2021 results thread, not everyone who got admission into one or more BSMDs was a valedictorian (4.0 UW GPA). IMO, instead of worrying about your chances, I suggest focusing on the rest of the courses towards your Associate Degree and work on your BSMD application. In the event you still worry about grade drop, you can state the circumstances in the explanations field in the common app. Good luck.

2 Likes

You have a competitive profile.
Apply broadly and pray for the best.

Remember these programs have lower acceptance rates than even Ivy leagues.

1 Like

One B+ will not kill your chances.

1 Like

What specific questions you have about the 2 universities?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since my community college courses in high school articulate onto my undergrad transcript, could I do the course again to get an better grade, or would I not be allowed to? TIA

Northeastern is in Boston and Northwestern is in Chicago.

Northwestern does not have any merit aid.

@ghermione
I haven’t heard taking course again to get a better grade. If your community college course transferred to undergrad college then you can work with your program coordinator at Undergrad college to take next level courses. Just making up for clarity
at undergrad level, assume math 100 series courses are more like foundation, 200 series are intermediate, 300 and 400 series are advanced courses, then if your community college math course is a foundation one then most likely it gets transferred to math 100 series. In this case you can work your undergrad program coordinator to put math 200 and then 300 series courses in your curriculum and get better grades if you are interested to pursue math. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Just in terms of geographic area, med school matriculants, aid given, and opportunities.

Is it worth taking the AP Exams for dual enrollment courses? Does it have any benefit?

Is it important to take the most challenging course load in your senior year? Right now, I have around 5 APS planned for senior year but I don’t think it’s worth it. Would dropping one or two APS affect my bs md application?

@futurebs_md12323
How many APs you have already taken so far?

so i have taken AP CHEM, BIO, CALC AB, MACRO/MICRO, and bunch of honor classes. For next year i hv AP CALC BC, stat, physics C, spanish, lang and comp. Also idk if this is relevant but i don’t have good ap scores and will prolly submit 1 or 2 scores.

no.

1 Like

@futurebs_md12323
IMO, you need to look into every BSMD experience posted in the Fall 2021 results thread and educate yourself on the number of APs to strengthen your BSMD application for the Fall 2022 admission cycle. Some lucky ones got BSMD admissions with just 4-5 APs completion at the time of the application cycle and some completed a dozen or more APs. IMO, if you have secured 3 or above scores in APs then you should submit those. Don’t sign up for more AP courses just for the sake of doing those. You need to check your comfort, and available time to take those in senior year, as college application process takes out a bug chunk of your time.

from what i have heard submitting a 3 is not good

ADCOMS do want to see if you have stressed your academically in high school.
They get a school report that gives them details of courses offered and in many cases, distribution of students taking them.

My thumb rule is that you should have an average of 4 APs/IBs/honors (if APs/IBs not offered) each year.

Dual enrollment means college credits.
Usually, one does not take APs for those subjects.

1 Like