***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Pittt is a T10 med school so I am sure they are well established. As far undergrad most students in these programs finish UG in 3 yrs, study abroad or work in research lab 4th year so, while Yale and Pitt are apples and oranges look into specific major and opportunities offered at each.

Good luck ! My son is also leaning towards Pitt as of today.

1 Like

Wow, you have a tonne of close acquaintances. The particular acquaintance I mentioned earlier post about, whose C went to Yale, don’t know about any gpa/MCAT specifics. I only listen to what someone says and don’t ask personal sensitive matters. But some do tell those stats on their own.

By the way your posts makes me recall someone stating from last year thread of their acquaintance from Yale with a 3.95 / 525 MCAT getting only into state school (UConn I believe). Guess must be the same issue that I mentioned earlier, the competitiveness of a given batch. It is just not gpa alone but how many one has to compete in that batch with higher credentials. For example a 3.8 is generally considered very good, but may not be sufficient if a given school is grade inflated having tonne of people with 3.9 range.

Its not non-named scholars are nobodys at Columbia but the named scholars are tracked on their websites and many have linkedin resumes once they graduate so it is easy to do a “where are they now”. I just checked my kids cohorts under one named scholar group for engineering (they have several different ones) and 2 are doing MD/PhD at Cornell and Icahn, one is at Stanford, couple are doing PhDs in other areas, one worked for Bain and now at Cambridge getting an MPhil, one is at Boston Consulting group, several others are working.

Whatever your kid chooses (Yale, Columbia, Pitt, Case) will be an excellent choice, as long as the kid chooses it. When they go on the visits, they feel a connection to a school. Good luck!

3 Likes

Looks like I consider myself very lucky. I got into only one BSMD program (UMKC) and don’t really have any other great options. So don’t have to think much. I have lots of cousins , who are in good undergrad schools ( cornell, wash u , u Penn) with good gpa and MCAT scores (3.7 and 515 plus) and still have struggled to get into MD schools. Had to take gap years. They are all advising me that if you are Asian American, it’s getting very hard to get into med school.
I am no expert but just want to let the group know what I have heard.

2 Likes

Yes connection to school is important but he is more connecting to med school vs undergrad. Only issues is he is very impressed during interview by Pitt Med MD interviewers as Pitt Med runs the BS MD program independent of Undergrad admissions and we need to get feel of all undergrads before he decides.

Also he interview with one of the Pitt Med students who in fact was from Columbia undergrad and impressed him.

4 Likes

“good gpa and MCAT scores (3.7 and 515 plus)” Unfortunately these are not great for Asians. AAMC published averages for matriculants show Asians require the highest GPAs and MCATs (514.4, 3.8).

Are you a current applicant or a student of UMKC?

I just got in this cycle.

1 Like

Congratulations! I know several graduates of UMKC and they are all doing quite well. One of them will be starting Cardiothoracic surgery fellowship this year.

1 Like

Thanks. I actually applied as a college freshman. UMKC lets you do that. I had applied last cycle to 20 plus BSMD program. I had 5 interviews; but I was waitlisted at all of them. This year I got Lucky and got in with just one application and one interview. I do think that I did better in interview when I didn’t try to answer questions the way I was coached by certain coaching service and rather just say things from my heart.

3 Likes

Now I remember @junebug20 was asking if you join the last year batch or start afresh this year (2028 vs 2029)?

I still have to do 6 years. But I will get credits for first years classes and will lighten my undergrad Load

2 Likes

Yes for CASE our understanding is that junior year interview is a formality. It should not be considered as a issue in making one’s decision.

1 Like

https://www.aamc.org/media/6066/download

Statistics for applicants and matriculants by race.

Interestingly, I never noticed this when @cheer2021 posted it but saw an image in SDN of a single condensed slide and went googling for it just now. CC features are so improved that it asked me if I wanted to repost. :smiley:

" It looks like your link to www.aamc.org was already posted in the topic by @cheer2021 in a reply on Aug 3, 2022 – are you sure you want to post it again?"

1 Like

Many BS/MD programs are showing a requirement to get over 510 MCAT.

Lot of these students wouldn’t have made it to MD.

1 Like

And some have higher GPA requirements. We years back one girl from TX had to drop out of BU SMED program despise low GPA requirements. I know couple of BSMD students taking gap year during medical school to aim for competitive specialties like dermatology.

Yes and that is the underlying tone that I discovered - just because you get admitted to IVES don’t assume that you will be able to ace MCAT or maintain a 3.8 GPA in fierce competition and do all extracurricular activities needed for top school and still avoid gap years

Also many of them scored in low 5 teens range which is just not good enough these days but would have been fine for BSMD program requiring 510s.

At least two of these students gave up BSMD requiring no MCAT or minimum MCAT like 508 (above which they scored) and they regretted it big time afterwards

1 Like

I do not know much about BS/MD at VCU. But we visited VCU while visiting Richmond University.
After beautiful Richmond University DD refused to leave the car at VCU. It has no campus. It is in the middle of the city and student body did not look very appealing. On the other hand we know students who graduated VCU (not BS/MD) and he was fine.

What is funny to me is that there are so many failure stories here and we are struggling to get a relative to go to med school after getting in! We have 10 families locally that hang out together and one of the kids who is graduating after attending a local university got into a couple, talked to several cousins already in med school which includes two of mine and is refusing to attend!

I’m sure that if they had gone the traditional route, they would have tried harder to be on par. After seeing how tough it is for people who are not on par (due to low program retention requirements) with their cohort in terms of stats, my younger decided that he would rather overshoot the entering class profile to feel that he belongs where he’ll be. We didn’t realize the dangers of having a guaranteed seat from a “cushy” program with the first one.

2 Likes

What is the score required for Baylor/Baylor?