***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Well what could be one’s disgust can be some else’s love. And vice versa. I know of this OOS student who applied to NJMS few years ago through multiple feeders, got in and visited the TCNJ campus, kind of semi rural in a nice locale etc, and immediately decided not to attend from there. Chose to go with NJIT instead, urban, close to inner city kind of environment. Of course NJIT is also very generous with their financial awards and NJMS is next door from there. But that wasn’t the reason, they are very well off financially.

So each student will have to make the decision for themselves along with their family.

1 Like

Good data points (though small) gives a variety of results.

This is what I have been saying (getting flames :heart_eyes: )

Some parents forget it’s tough to RUN/PERFORM at the same speed through out the UG ( plus pump up resume, interviews again etc.,)

Ofcourse 95% of doctors come from Traditional so there are more opportunities …but the real though of saying “smart kids will clear with ease”, " Top 5 UG push" is “not true” and won’t work.

I will state again… it’s individual choice/decision to find what’s good for him/her… but if u have guarnteed BSMD… u do have to think twice… can they perform same way
(To put a sports analogy… it’s tough to win a championship… but to go “back2back” is tougher)…

Best

3.5 GPA & something within the band of 501-508 would satisfy (of course they’ll take higher GPA and MCAT too)

Now you are going to be clubbed " scary parent" or “risk aversive” or “not smart kid” :slight_smile:

Like my W says always… there are many colors bcoz …others like different than u… so … to each his/her way.

But the push that IVYies are easier to get to better MD is not 100% correct (I know many kids who joined University of Washington or Stanford with great UG but still couldn’t crank their MD and have to go other or take different route)

DD has REMS and Rice as options. Got waitlisted in 4 ivies. We are also in the same boat of assurance vs. taking risk.
If anyone has insight into REMS or life at URoch for 8 years, please share your thoughts.

I thought Rice/Baylor had higher requirements.

Debakey/UH/Baylor has 3.5 and 505 if they are still same as 3 years ago.

1 Like

Please DM @creekland. Her son went through undergrad and med (traditional route) at Rochester and is currently a resident there or elsewhere. They dont keep up with this thread and so may not respond here.

Rice and Rochester location and climate wise are at two extreme ends. Rice is in the middle of a major city in walking distance of medical center, museums, 10 minutes from downtown and and sees about 2-4 weeks of cold weather while Rochester is cold for 6 months or longer and a moderate size city.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, completely stark opposite options which is making this very difficult.
We are an ORM family, but no family background in medical field. She is the val at her school. So she works hard. But the possibility of something falling short for any reason like health setback or a tough professor, one bad grade…anything can put your med school application at risk. But being in Texas, gives you the TMDSAS advantage for TX medical schools. So literally going back and forth on every single statement.
If we could get some insight into quality of student life at Rochester…especially if you plan to spend 8 years there, that would be highly helpful.

I think either option is fine Case vs Pitt and you cannot go wrong.

Our local MD friends at Stanford Medicine are advising to pick up either Case or Pitt BS MD programs as they have equal opportunity of Matching to west coast top programs.

Pitt has slight advantage in case pursuing academic medicine. I do not think Case undergrad will give any extra advantage unless you like the undergrad vibe. So leaning towards Pitt or Yale and visits will reveal more.

Good luck with your decisions.

2 Likes

Is it Rice UG only or got Rice/Baylor BS/MD?
Rice is a good school and excellent location to puruse medical related volunteer and research. Visited Rice when my D attended interview for Houston/UTMB BS/MD (which no longer exits if not mistaken). Her friend and school mate attended Rice and loved it (of course she pursued some other area like CS/Data Science.

URochester heard has underground tunnel between buildings due to cold.

We all say it’s individual choice but then some push for BSMD hard. Most of us don’t know the reasons why some underperformed in traditional path but assume it must be very hard to and assume one has to be like Jordan or Brady to succeed :smiling_face:

3.95/525 from Yale not getting admission must be a very isolated case. There must be a red flag in the application. There won’t be ton of premeds from Yale with 3.95/525, another false narrative to push BSMD.

Texas landscape has changed in the last couple of years and it may have to do with Covid. A lot more people are applying repeatedly (there were at least two people in A&M thread who claimed to have gotten through in their 4th attempt) rather than apply to DO or other options. So number of people applying has gone up a lot. ORMs have much higher competition and some of the results to me have been shocking. Unlike the people with low scores and GPAs that cant get through that are being mentioned here, I know stories of ORMs who have extremely high numbers, interviewed at several schools but barely matching this year (not being offered a prematch and matching to 3rd or 4th choice).

If this student doesn’t want to go to medical school…please don’t struggle with them to get them to go. Medical school accepted students should be happy and excited to start…not needing to be persuaded. My opinion.

6 Likes

I would take REMS actually. For whatever reasons admissions outcomes seems to follow same pattern for most kids. May be it’s essay writing style or activities or leadership skills they have. Most continue from HS.

1 Like

Yale med has one of best match list in 2023.

Does any have stats as to what percent is self selection for Yale Med from their undergrad ?

Apparently Yale graduates prefer Harvard first for medicine.

1 Like

Rice is UG only.
Yes, some parts of URoch has underground tunnels. She did like it when she visited URoch. But now confused with the two options.

Interesting more students go to HMS as compared to self selection at Yale med from Yale Undergrad. Will dig more during the visit.