***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

I know the state doesn’t invest a lot in public education. I got this directly from BCM website “The College is ranked 20 in the nation and 1 in Texas in funding from the National Institutes of Health.” I’m sure they have other funding from private industries that benefit from its research.
According to several sources I’ve seen, decades-old laws put a cap on med school tuition costs in Texas. Coupled with the 90% in-state reserved seats, these laws make TX schools ideal for Texans. BCM is not subjected to the 90% rule, but it does lean in-state. However, those OOS who got accepted to BCM only pay about a 10k OOS surcharge. That still makes BCM more affordable than a lot of public med schools in the US. For example, FL and PA.

1 Like

State of Texas buys a number of seats from Baylor and subsidizes their tuition. There was a time when Baylor was at 70 or 75% instate but now they are almost at 85% even excluding the MD/PhD which are not funded by the state and so they can take mostly OOS students.

what would you do to choose between IVY schools for UG and UMKC BSMD program?

Depends on the Ivy. :slight_smile:

UMKC as a 6 year program is very challenging and it does not allow someone to change their mind easily about whether they want to be a physician. So it should be taken on by people who want to be doctors and they have never had any other thoughts about being something else. It is kind of moot point for them to say I will go to another regular college. I didnt ask my kids to apply at all.

1 Like

Definitely it will be a lot in six years .

Recent BS MD Path way practicing physicians in my circle only recommend 8 year program not even 7 years. It does impact post medical school journey.

If you are confident in your child’s level and abilities I would not join a 6 year program. You have to do self assessment reference @srk2017

I agree with @texaspg. It depends on which Ivy and what the goals are. Here is my blunt assessment :smiling_face:6 year programs are brutal with no scope for exploration and growth and that’s why no other school is offering them. They are only good for those who wants to become a doctor quickly and start earning quickly. If you want to go into competitive residency you need to take gap year(s) in medical school.

My son also didn’t apply to UMKC back in 216-2017 cycle and in fact he applied to 6 schools only and didn’t tailor his application for BSMD. He got 2 interviews and acceptances.

1 Like

Although we have so many DO colleges addressing certain speciality gaps already.

Is UKMC program trying to address physician shortage in specific rural areas for a specific speciality for last many years ?

Are you OOS and did you just get off the watilist?

I dont believe that shortage of physicians has been the goal for 6 year programs. Combined programs originally had shorter duration as an advantage.

A lot of schools had 6 year programs back in 80s and 90s. My daughter had a kindergarten playfriend whose mother did Northwestern HPME in 80s in 6 years. I think by the time I met her it had already changed to 7 years but they never enforced finishing in 7 years either.

Not sure if Toledo still has 6 years program. I went to visit an Indian family in 88 in Cleveland whose kid was doing that. I thought it was 6 years even in the last decade.

Presume you are aware of this thread

Also aware of @Roentgen who is an alumni of UMKC and helped tremendously all students and parents on BS/MD especially for parents like me when have no idea of medical 8 years back. You can PM him.

As others said, 6 year programs are rigorous due to US medical education process unlike other countries which offer medical after high school.

2 Likes

Irrespective of 7 or 8 years programs, felt even 4 year MDs have different flavor which is not discussed much. Would say that is more stressful and students should think about that when that time comes up.

Used to be 2 years of education and 2 years of rotation. Then most now 1.5 / 2.5 years education / rotation. Then there are few 1/3 years.

My child felt even 1.5 years she underwent was intense because so much knowledge / info need to absorb in such a short time.

1 Like

Concern in my circle is that even without gap years with 4 year programs you are competing with students with one or two gap years minimum in med schools. Now here you push a kid in 6 year BS MD program with only two years for undergrad which is not fair to the kid who is just a high schooler and do not let him grow it is pushing him in war zone urgency without even having a need.

1 Like

yes, OOS

1 Like

Yes, my child felt same and my wife one time listened to his class and she that was intense :smiling_face:

I know Vandy is 1 year clinical only and not sure if any other schools are doing same.

1 Like

That’s been my argument for last 6+ years :smiling_face:

Harvard, Duke and Dell are one year in class.

Baylor is starting one year in 2023.

Which Ivy are you considering vs UMKC?

Does UMKC have only the 6 year program or do they also have people joining 4 year medicine?

UMKC 's med school has most of its students (approximately 110-120 per year) in their combined BA-MD program. In addition, about 20-30 traditional college graduates matriculate as regular 4 year medical students every year.

Cornell undergraduate vs UMKC 6 year BSMD

1 Like

Cornell is known for grade deflation but my son’s roommate is from Cornell and didn’t take any gap years.