***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

@NoviceDad
IMO - Accomplishments, ECs, Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR), responses to questions from SKMC, and obviously common app essays - will be the filtering criteria in this case. PMM also allows test-optional candidates.

1 Like

There are a lot of people did test-optional and got accepted to highly regarded schools and programs, including the Ivy League. So, what’s the rule of thumb for going test-optional? I’ve seen some recommendations stating if your score is above 75 percentile mark of the accepted student pool then you should send score. However, with only high scorers reporting their scores, wouldn’t that artificially drive up the 75 percentile mark? I suspect that those BSMD applicants who choose to report their scores would want the highest score to be near perfect. So, what would allow the test-optional candidates to compete with everyone else who have near-perfect everything. I supposed here is where the “why medicine” and “why this program” personal statements shine.

I worry that with colleges disbanding objective criteria (e.g., scores), the process becomes more subjective and opaque.

Re: scores: Yes, with test-optional, the scores reported are skewed towards high scores as the likelihood of low scorers not submitting scores is extremely high.

Your ECs, your essays, and your resume will become more important if you are applying as a test-optional candidate.

2 Likes

Normally “not required” does not necessarily mean “not being considered”, but here they say it explicitly.

1 Like

I like their explicit language - no ambiguity!

1 Like

Quick Question. Does having legacy for a BS/MD program greatly help with getting an interview?

Usually not.

I don’t think the legacy status means much to programs. However, after seeing siblings in the same BSMD programs, I am thinking that because those siblings have the same access/connections to medically-related EC, they tend to stand out in similar ways.

1 Like

Not necessary as very few colleges ask that question (that too if you have siblings in same college in that case it will help)

Other than that
 legacy “may help” you prepare “what you are getting into that field” (sacrifices and expectations)

@IndianBoiX
BSMD programs often like certain types of profiles. If a sibling or whoever got into the program, the applicant might have been inspired by that previously accepted profile and may have the same access/connections to medically-related ECs as @junebug20 said. In that event, it might help the application catch AO’s eyes in general speaking. Still, BSMD programs are super reach or super selective in nature, IMO legacy might matter more for the UG part than the whole BSMD.

A sibling, if spaced at least 2-3 years, always knows what the older sibling did to get into BS/MD and they tend to emulate or do similar activities outside of doing well in school and standardized tests. My kids are 4 years apart, did their own things but tried activities that set them apart from others. If younger D did more sciency work than run off to other countries to do NSLI she might have had a better shot at HPME!

1 Like

Hello all,
I hope it’s ok to post this here- I have started a youtube channel that I hope will help give insight to future applicants and provide a glimpse into the life of a BSMD student.
I was very burnt out from the application cycle so I never got the chance to sit down and write a post for results on CC, but my College Decision Reaction Video shows all the programs I applied to and which ones I got interviews for and acceptances for and there’s a separate video for my Stats and Extracurriculars. The video format was just easier for me. Best of luck to everyone! I plan on vlogging throughout the year to share my journey with BSMD hopefuls and will post a “first week” video in the coming weeks.

Please feel free to take this post down if it’s not allowed as I’m just trying to help and would have liked to have such resources as an applicant last year.

(I did get into PLME, Hofstra, APME, and waitlisted at B2Baylor and applied to 17 total.)

5 Likes

What gave you the idea of looking at the AAMC’s physicians’ core competencies? It’s a great idea to map your own core competencies with the AAMC’s.

2 Likes

Excellent videos! Congratulations!

1 Like

Sorry, I think this too old information

Good to hear from you.

BTW - the medical school is in Antigua and as such the students will be considered International or Foreign Medical Graduates.
It will not be much different than doing MBBS in India and applying for residency here.
The only thing I noticed was that they have rotations in USA which can increase the familiarity of program directors with students and potentially improve their chances of residency.

I think this program is more targeted towards Indian students who cannot get into Indian medical schools due to the competitive nature of the same.

1 Like

Not sure it is aimed at students in India since it would be hard for them to do rotations in the US and trying to get student visas to do so. I dont know any such people but it is possible others do.

I know several doctors in Houston (children of friends) who took this route - went to India after undergrad, completed medicine and got into residencies, fellowships etc. The most successful one I know just finished Electrophysiology fellowship after cardiology and took up a job starting in August.

OTOH, I know at least 2 personally who have not been able to get into residency over several years, one not placing after finishing STEP and applying 2-3 times and other struggling with STEP.

Earlier in the year I was watching videos of Indian students trying to escape from war zones in Ukraine. Apparently many go to Ukraine to study medicine when they can’t get into medical schools in India because it is somewhat cheaper than private medical schools in India.

3 Likes

B-1 visa category is applicable for IMGs wanting to do rotations.
I do not know the current details of that visa e.g. duration limitations, etc.

From what I know, you can do UNPAID rotations as a 3rd or 4th year medical student.

But agree it creates an extra hurdle.

1 Like

Just curious, do the students here get paid during rotations in 3rd and 4th year?